good evening, I am stuck between the Nokia E61 and the BB 8800, the main ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

adams0723 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question 8800 or E61... SAT NAV

Advertisement

good evening,

I am stuck between the Nokia E61 and the BB 8800,

the main reason for the phone is it has sat nav.

but.......

Has anyone actually used the GPS on the 8800 if so how good is it???

ihave a mate that has a bb curve and that has bb maps, he used an external GPS reciever and he said that once you start moving the GPS the drops out,

Is this the same for the 8800 or does it work just as good as tom tom

Many thanks,

Adam

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: 8800 or E61... SAT NAV

I have an 8800 and Navigation in my car. For the first few trips, I used both and they worked pretty good. Basically followed the same routes and kept together. Tehre was ssome lag time on the BB however as it reloaded map data from tiem to time. Not so with my car system.

I had Google Maps and BBMaps. Neither offer turn by turn voice or auto reroute however. Also, the BB screen is a bit small to use while driving as opposed to the 4x6 in my Acura. I think it would be dangerous to ne trying to navigate using the BB and trying to drive at the same time.

One other downside, if you lose cell coverage, you lose the map capability, because the maps rely on data - lots of data. I don't know of an application what downloads th emaps to the SD card, not yet anyway.

Schufly no está en línea Stack level 3

I use Telenav several time a week on my 8800 for work. It's great. My wife just got a Nokia 5300, it's a nice phone, Nokia has come a long way.....but I am a addicted to BB.....like so many of us poor souls here.
    Andy

rweckhoff no está en línea Stack level 3

The E61 is a great phone and has Nokia Maps. You can get an external BT GPS off of eBay new for around $50 (Holux M-1000).

The 8800 is also a good device - has builtin GPS (except 8830 of course - Thank You Verizon) but costs a little more than an unlocked E61. Really depends what you want to go for.

I had the E61 on T-Mo and left them for Verizon. Loved the phone - WiFi, FULL BT, worked with PC, worked with Mac, stable, BlackBerry Connect ... Your call.

boiseguy83 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2405956B

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I don't have any issues with my 8800 and gps using telenav. I have tried 5 other gps maps and found telenav to be the best by far. Goodluck.

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I'm in Perth using googlemaps as bbmaps isn't available in aus. I do find it lags sometimes, but it catches up eventually. But like they said if you lose mobile coverage you're up the proverbial creek.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Telenav has worked really well on several trips and locally for me.

Dasher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21F6D890

I had an E61 it is a good phone but the BB8800 is far better than it.
    A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him. Fools admire, but men of sense approve.