Okay, so I'm still a little bummed about about the (rumored) GPS/TeleNav shotgun marriage on ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

hanstoppable no está en línea Stack level 1

Question 8800 Now vs. 8820 Later: WDYT?

Advertisement

Okay, so I'm still a little bummed about about the (rumored) GPS/TeleNav shotgun marriage on the ATT 8820. I know it's a rumor and all, but I can totally see ATT wanting to get an extra $10 a month out of us suckers. I was all set to get the 8820 when it came out and now I need some advice. I still want a Blackberry (would be my first) and I like the style and the GPS on the 88XX (without TeleNav, of course). The Curve just doesn't do it for me, so that's out. Too many friends and family on ATT and it's the best coverage in my area (Sacramento), so switching carriers is out. The WiFi of the 8820 would be great, but I think I'd rather have GPS with gmaps.

Let's pretend the rumor is indeed true- what would you do?

1. Get the 8800 and pray that ATT doesn't somehow force me to use TeleNav in the future?
    2. Somehow get an unlocked 8820 from some foreign land- could an unlocked 8820 be used on the ATT network without facing the (rumored) GPS restrictions?
    3. Hold out for WiFi on the 8820 and cross your fingers that the rumor is false?
    4. Other (keep it clean, folks)

Basically the question is that if the rumor is true and since I don't really care about WiFi (other than it would have been a nice extra), should I just go 8800 and never look back? Thanks in advance for your help.

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

Re: 8800 Now vs. 8820 Later: WDYT?

Since you want the GPS, I would wait an see:

1. if the GPS is locked to telenav, and if so, can this marriage be undone (via hack?).
    2. if the GPS is locked to telenav, and if so, is there another 8820 from another carrier than you can use unrestricted?

Nothing wrong with getting the 8800 now. If just depends on if you can wait. I'd wait just because the 8820 is about to drop soon (next month?).
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

Thanks for the reply, Aroc. Sound advice. Most everything ends up being hacked, but your "divorce" option may be risky- what if it can't be hacked? The easiest thing (other than for ATT to come out and tell us all that this was a big joke and GPS will be wide open) would probably be to get an unlocked phone without any kind of firmware (or however they might do it) restriction on GPS.

Would an unlocked Orange 8820 work without restriction on ATT? I guess my question is, would the rumored restriction come from a modification to the 8820s that ATT will sell or is it a block of network features? Is it handset or network dependent? If an unlocked Orange or T-Mo 8820 would work in all its intended glory on the ATT network, I may just bite the wallet and pony up for an unlocked device.

My only rush is impatience to have a new toy, so you're right- I will wait and see what happens when the ATT 8820 drops. I'd just like to know what my options are if ATT hoses us.

twillingham no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240C83A8

An unlocked phone would still have to use AT@T network thus probably would still restrict you to telenav only~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

...and how would they restrict a device that wasn't restricted via the OS or firmware?

Odds are that they won't be sniffing packets to see if they're going to or coming from a GPS software provider other than Telenav.

Quote Originally Posted by hanstoppable
    Basically the question is that if the rumor is true and since I don't really care about WiFi (other than it would have been a nice extra), should I just go 8800 and never look back? Thanks in advance for your help.
    The problem is that it's just a rumor and there are no details. If the "lock" is like VZW's then you're out of luck. If they "locked" it like BB Maps then no big deal.

In your particular case, it's pretty much a matter of how important WiFi is to you & whether or not you plan on using Telenav anyway. I do so it's not that big of a deal though I would really want to be able to choose as Telenav may not be the best option (IMO) in the future.
    Last edited by takeshi; 08-20-2007 at 10:32 AM.

exciter no está en línea Stack level 3

Same situation here. I am on AT&T, I want to get the 8800 but it may be a little cheaper to wait until the 8820 is released next month.

Thanks, takeshi- good advice. It's all about how badly I want WiFi. I will ponder this question during my mountaintop meditation.

And exciter- good luck to your quest. I'm curious to see if the 8800 will get a discount once the 8820 is released. That might make the decision for me.

I've read more, and some people seem to think that the restriction might be lifted by editing .alx files (which I better learn how to do) and some others think that it'll be locked down hard like Verizon did/does. Maybe I'll just get an unlocked e61i and move on with my life.

Glad I waited- Crackberry.com says the 8820 may be released next week (if I had a dollar for every time someone claimed that...) without any GPS funny business.

http://crackberry.com/september-4th-...lackberry-8820

Let's see if this one holds true.