hello all, I just got an 8800 in the mail today that I bought on ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

DougBlossom no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    217D0C5E

8800 not unlocked?

Advertisement

hello all, I just got an 8800 in the mail today that I bought on ebay. The seller said it was unlocked. The phone says invalid SIM card. Does that mean that it is, in fact, not unlocked? Also, if I load the current update from the Tmo website, will that screw anything up? Or what would it do? Thank you for your help.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Re: 8800 not unlocked?

Sim Invalid indicates that it is indeed locked.

Zo

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

I bought an unlocked 8800 from eBay too, and when I put my SIM card in, I also got Invalid SIM card message. I was about to try to unlock it again (the unlock code was stickered to the box), or complain or send out emails, etc. when I realized that my SIM card was not inserted correctly.

To my credit, while I did not try to put my SIM card into the microSD card slot (which is explained in the user guide), nowhere in the user guide does it explain how to put the sim card in. While I was smart enough to not put the SIM card in with the contacts side up, I did put it in backwards.

If you look very very carefully at the dark black slot, the orientation of the notch in the sim card is imprinted there. I admittedly didn't notice that in my excitement of receiving my new phone (picture package arriving and lots of paper ripping, etc., hehe). Once I got the sim card in the correct way, all was fine.

Perhaps a long shot, but worth a try. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

wch
    wch no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    ask me

i would report it back to ebay. they seem to take such things pretty seriously. also... if you paid via credit card or paypal, you can probably get them to freeze the payment until the issue is resolved.

good luck!
    if you are going to skate on thin ice you may as well dance.

PIN/ID
    217D0C5E

Thanks for the advice. I've tried turning the SIM card around all different ways. I've paid to have it unlocked online, but I have to wait up to 24 hours. The 8800 is pretty.. I want to be able to use it! I've been without a BB for 6 days!

PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Darn, I was hoping that was it.

After I posted, I took my back cover off, and checked the orientation of the sim card, it should be with the notch facing downwards and on the microSD side (best I can describe it, hehe).

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

if you look at where you insert the sim card there is an outline on which way it needs to face when you put it in.

PIN/ID
    217D0C5E

Thank you for all of your help. I got an unlock code this morning and I am up and running. The device now won't let me access websites on the browser. It says I do not have access rights to the site. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

PIN/ID
    217D0C5E

Also... now I'm getting an App Error 523 and it just keeps rebooting. I did a search on here for solutions and tried reloading the OS but that's not helped. I'm going to attempt the Java loader suggestion, but that scares me a bit. I guess buying an unlocked phone wasn't worth it?

PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Quote Originally Posted by DougBlossom
    Thank you for all of your help. I got an unlock code this morning and I am up and running. The device now won't let me access websites on the browser. It says I do not have access rights to the site. Any suggestions? Thanks again.
    It could be that you have to change your TCP settings, my 8800c had the defaults for Cingular. I edited my settings for Rogers to show APN = internet.com, and user and pw blank.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by DougBlossom
    The phone says invalid SIM card. Does that mean that it is, in fact, not unlocked?
    Not necessarily. You need to go to Options->Advanced Options->SIM Card and type in MEPD. If it says Disabled by Network then it's unlocked. There are several things that can cause an Invalid SIM message.

PIN/ID
    217D0C5E

I am unlocked and up and running again! Found the string for the app error 523 also. I missed this site! No more Windows Mobile devices for me. Thank you for everything.