I've got an 8800 here in front of me that's refusing to start. The red ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

ITD
    ITD no está en línea Stack level 1

8800 'no battery' symbol with charged battery installed

Advertisement

I've got an 8800 here in front of me that's refusing to start. The red LED slowly blinks twice every twenty seconds or so. If I plug it into a charger, with or without a battery, and press the power button. I get a dim symbol of a battery with a line through it. Which would seem to suggest the battery is missing. However, I've taken a charged battery from another 8800 and it makes no difference.

Any ideas? I suspect the unit might be dead, but would appreciate any advice that might revive it.

Thanks,

Ian

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: 8800 'no battery' symbol with charged battery installed

could it be the connection between battery and phone? you can try cleaning it

ITD

Quote Originally Posted by Sci-Tek View Post
    could it be the connection between battery and phone? you can try cleaning it
    Already tried that, the connections all looked clean, but I carefully scraped them with a screwdriver blade to ensure there was no oxidisation, etc on them. No joy.

if you boot the phone with a USB cable connected, do you only get the red LED constantly beeing on?
    (I dont know if this could damage your phone, but what do you have to loose)

If you do, that could indicate that the phone don't like the battery.. atleast my pearl did so..

the battery with a strike trough seems like the phone believe its out of battery, but in order to display this it would need some battery, and if you've taken a fully charged battery.. :/

ITD

if you boot the phone with a USB cable connected, do you only get the red LED constantly beeing on?
    (I dont know if this could damage your phone, but what do you have to loose)

If you do, that could indicate that the phone don't like the battery.. atleast my pearl did so..

the battery with a strike trough seems like the phone believe its out of battery, but in order to display this it would need some battery, and if you've taken a fully charged battery.. :/
    I can't really 'boot' it as its not responding to the power button. I either plug in the battery or a charger, which then gives the red lights and eventually the no battery symbol. The symbol appears whether or not a battery is present.

I just tried using a USB cable into my PC to see if that was any different. the same happened, but the red light seemed to stay on longer and flash more slowly.

However, desktop manager has recognised that there is a device there and read its PIN, which would suggest that something is working.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions, I think I might try a wipe and restore of the OS via the USB cable?

ITD

hmm, that's interesting. I plugged it into the PC with the battery out, when I put the battery in the device stopped working ('USB device not recongised' came up on the PC).

I think I was wrong before as well. the battery missing icon only appears when the battery is out, when the battery is in it disappears.

Curiouser and curiouser, as I know the battery is good (took it out and put it back in the other 8800, no problems)

if the device recognises its hope I would vote for wipe and OS restore.

Guessing the phone is out of warranty? if it still is, you might want to go for warranty.

ITD

if the device recognises its hope I would vote for wipe and OS restore.

Guessing the phone is out of warranty? if it still is, you might want to go for warranty.
    Yeah, warranty isnt an option on this.

Been trying to re-install without luck. Tried the JL Cmder program, but it doesnt see it. Also tried using apploader and while it sees a device there (if the battery is out), it wont talk to it. I followed the instructions to make it list as 'unknown device' rather than showing the PIN, but it wont connect that way either.

Hitting a bit of a brick wall really. This one might be destined for that big holster in the sky!

RogersToronto no está en línea Stack level 2

Im not too sure but I wonder if FLash memory is corrupted, as it wouldn't boot! Let us know

ITD

Quote Originally Posted by henry8888 View Post
    Im not too sure but I wonder if FLash memory is corrupted, as it wouldn't boot! Let us know
    I've given up on it now. Further investigation has revealed that it took a bit of a swim when the user dropped it in a glass of water, and nothing I've tried has made it boot, even though a PC can see it. I suspect you're right and the Flash is corrupted, but I've just bitten the bullet and got another handset. with the water damage sticker indicating what's happened the warranty is no use.

thanks for notifying us, now I would like to question the user who manages to drop the phone in a glass of water.. there should be some award for something like that