Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Aww man so I gotta delete my groups... that sucks, well at least I know ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

Traknologist no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F916AF

Re: 8800 is locking behind Java error message

Advertisement

Aww man so I gotta delete my groups... that sucks, well at least I know b4 I dl the new os. Thanks everyone.

zakaria46 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: 8800 is locking behind Java error message

Quote Originally Posted by dogstir
    LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE: Well, I just got back from my first vacation in years (you know, can't leave my startup for fear of being out-of-business when I come back), so as hard as it was to take off for a week, I just knew everything would be okay because I could stay in touch with my brand new 8800!!! In fact, I'll just leave the laptop at home because I now have a portable computer practically! Woo-hoo, right?!?!

Anyway, exactly one hour into my train travel (too late to turn around now!), I decided it would be convenient to add an email group to my address book to respond to email questions from the office, and sending a copy back to my desktop computer for filing purposes. BAD MISTAKE! Ten minutes after adding a group email, my brand new 8800 locked up tighter than a maximum security prison. So, what do I do now? I thought to myself. The uncaught exception:java.lang.ClassCastException box pops up upon reboot and there is no way to clear it, click it, remove it or hide it. When I get to the hotel that night, I use the hotel computer to search BlackBerryForums at pinstack and I learn the problem is likely caused by the group address entry I had just created! But, alas, I had no cable to connect my phone to a computer, and no desktop software even if I had the cable. Arggghhh! So, long story short, I get back in the office this morning, connect my 8800, remove the address book and, voila, it works perfectly again!

So, here’s the solution for other people like me who thought adding a group email list was a great idea on their brand new 8800:

SOLUTION: Connect the USB phone cable to your computer. Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager (it should say disconnected because you haven't connected the phone yet). Reboot the BlackBerry (either remove and reinsert the battery, or press Alt-Shift-Del). Once the 8800 starts rebooting, plug the USB cable into the 8800. The screen will start showing that it’s testing security software (which is where it locks up with the java error upon completion). Before it gets to that lock up stage, though, you will notice that the desktop manager says you are connected. AS SOON AS YOU ARE CONNECTED to the 8800, open “Backup and Restore”, then “Advanced”, it will take a minute or so to show the databases on the right with the number of records in each one. Once it is done, highlight “Address Book” with one mouse click, and then click “Clear” and then “Okay” on the confirmation dialog box. It will take it a minute, but it will erase all of your address book entries – including the group entry/entries that caused this problem. Once it is done, remove the USB cable and reboot the 8800 (see above). And there ya go, your 8800 works once again. Now just sync your Outlook contacts again and don’t add any groups!!! At least until there is a patch, someday.
    You're simply a GENIOUS!! thank you so much sir.

cmasccs no está en línea Stack level 1

Dear

Thanks a lot for providing such a tricky but functioning solution.

bisoldi no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by dogstir View Post

SOLUTION: Connect the USB phone cable to your computer. Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager (it should say disconnected because you haven't connected the phone yet). Reboot the BlackBerry (either remove and reinsert the battery, or press Alt-Shift-Del). Once the 8800 starts rebooting, plug the USB cable into the 8800. The screen will start showing that it’s testing security software (which is where it locks up with the java error upon completion). Before it gets to that lock up stage, though, you will notice that the desktop manager says you are connected. AS SOON AS YOU ARE CONNECTED to the 8800, open “Backup and Restore”, then “Advanced”, it will take a minute or so to show the databases on the right with the number of records in each one. Once it is done, highlight “Address Book” with one mouse click, and then click “Clear” and then “Okay” on the confirmation dialog box. It will take it a minute, but it will erase all of your address book entries – including the group entry/entries that caused this problem. Once it is done, remove the USB cable and reboot the 8800 (see above). And there ya go, your 8800 works once again. Now just sync your Outlook contacts again and don’t add any groups!!! At least until there is a patch, someday.

I had the same problem. Should have known better than to try to use an actual ease of use "feature" like a GROUP! I got the Uncaught Exception and the App Error. Unfortunately, these instructions did not work for me as it would not connect to the Desktop Manager! There is a way to bypass everything and do a complete wipe of everything installed (**CAUTION- THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING**).

- First, remove the battery from the device.
    - Open desktop manager
    - Connect the device to the computer via USB cable
    - In desktop manager, open the APPLICATION LOADER
    - Click next and select the applications you want installed (all of the nonessential applications should be unchecked and all essential applications will be checked and ghosted)
    - Click next and go through until finish.
    - Click finish
    - The next screen will show the progress of the load
    - While it's on "Load JVM", put the battery in
    - Wait, it will take about 20-30 minutes

You should now have a factory default, brand new device!

MilitaryPawn no está en línea Stack level 1
    When I turn my pearl on I get the error Uncaught exception: java.lang.ClassCastException, and it wont go away so I can't do anything else. I know I need to hard reset the phone but my problem gets worse. My USB port is broken so I can't plug it into my computer and because I can't click anything I can't set up the bluetooth to do it that way. Is there any way to reset the phone using the microSD card, like some kind of self extracting reset file or something? I couldn't find anything on Google. Please help! I don't know what else to do!?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12