Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I transfered my data from 8700 to 8800 and it works fine for about an ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

lexium no está en línea Stack level 1

8800 is locking behind Java error message

Advertisement

I transfered my data from 8700 to 8800 and it works fine for about an hour. Then for some reason suddenly the device locks up completely behind an error message saying -uncaught exception:java.lang.ClassCastException. and there is no way to get in to the device. not by resetting, not through the desktop manager. Nothing worked. Finally tech support told me to pick up a new 8800. I did and this time I uninstalled all 3rd party software on my 8700 before I transfered my data. Seemed to work fine and then after installing google maps...I made a phone call and it locked up again. Same thing. Dead to the world. Sorry about the long thread. Anybody seen this before? Any thoughts?

wordthenerd Guest

Re: 8800 is locking behind Java error message

Are you getting an error #?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Welcome to the Stacks Lexium. If you are getting a specifc error #, we could steer you in the right direction.

Nope. No specific error #. The tech guy said he had never seen it before. Just "uncaught exception:java.lang.ClassCastException" And I have gotten this on 2 different devices. And there doesn't seem to be any way to reset the device to start from scratch again.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by lexium
    Nope. No specific error #. The tech guy said he had never seen it before. Just "uncaught exception:java.lang.ClassCastException" And I have gotten this on 2 different devices. And there doesn't seem to be any way to reset the device to start from scratch again.
    Lexium, what is on the screen when it is turned on? Have you tried a wipe and reload yet?

The regular screen is in the back ground with the error message on top there is even an ok button to click but it will not take that command. I have also used the -alt-cap-del reset funktion and it seems to reset everything behind the error message but the the error message stays and I can't get in.

RogersJoel no está en línea Stack level 1

Hey I am new on here so hello.
    I just recently transferred data from a 8700 and I got this exact same problem. I wiped it with Javaloader then loaded the OS again. But got the issue again shorty afete. My friend also is getting an error message but it goes away.
    I guess we need a patch. We are using them on Rogers transfering a backup from a rogers phone to this one. Maybe that has something to do with it or not? Maybe just from the 8700's it freezes?
    Rogers should have their software in days.
    Joel
    I can't imagine life without BBMsngr

Cardiac no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F2A139

I have the same error message coming up on my 8800, mine seems to be related to activating the bluetooth in my car (headset works fine, problem is just in the car). I can use everything else (e-mail, calendar) except the bluetooth, the only way to reset the device it to remove the battery. Odd thing is it worked in the car until I downloaded telenav. Sounds like the error is related somehow to the GPS/Maps funtion.

Quote Originally Posted by RogersJoel
    Hey I am new on here so hello.
    I just recently transferred data from a 8700 and I got this exact same problem. I wiped it with Javaloader then loaded the OS again. But got the issue again shorty afete. My friend also is getting an error message but it goes away.
    I guess we need a patch. We are using them on Rogers transfering a backup from a rogers phone to this one. Maybe that has something to do with it or not? Maybe just from the 8700's it freezes?
    Rogers should have their software in days.
    Joel
    Do you also have any map or gps application loaded on your device?

cynamicny no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F282DC

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I got this morning while trying to make call. Sounds like there's a software issue going on!

Cardiac no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F2A139

Lexium, Great News, I was getting the same error. Phoskito discovered it has to do with groups being set up in the address book. Delete your groups and see if it clears up the problem.

I know this doesn't fix the problem, at least it's source is identified.

Now, where's the patch Cingular??

Thank you. Thats great. However...I returned the 8800. I'm back using my 8700 again. I can't afford to risk loosing the mails I get in between backups. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed. I have not have one single problem with my 8700 and my 8800 in about a week and a half I got probably about 15 min of funktion. Also if it is the mail groups then I would imagine there is a boat load of people getting this error message. When I hear a patch is out I will consider switching again. Thanks for the response though.

Bibber no está en línea Stack level 1

lexium, I got my 8800 three days ago and I am now on my third one. I keep getting the same error that you described in October - "java.lang.classclastexception" with no way of recovering. The ony 3rd party software that was on it the first time was Telenav. So I did not load it on the 2nd one. I did, however, have one group defined in my Address Book on the first and on the second one. I don't plan on creating any groups on my third phone.

The only difference in the error messages is that after waiting two hours I gt an new error message that read, "App Error 523" with a highlighted box below that said, "reset". But still it would not let me have any control.

dogstir no está en línea Stack level 1

LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE: Well, I just got back from my first vacation in years (you know, can't leave my startup for fear of being out-of-business when I come back), so as hard as it was to take off for a week, I just knew everything would be okay because I could stay in touch with my brand new 8800!!! In fact, I'll just leave the laptop at home because I now have a portable computer practically! Woo-hoo, right?!?!

Anyway, exactly one hour into my train travel (too late to turn around now!), I decided it would be convenient to add an email group to my address book to respond to email questions from the office, and sending a copy back to my desktop computer for filing purposes. BAD MISTAKE! Ten minutes after adding a group email, my brand new 8800 locked up tighter than a maximum security prison. So, what do I do now? I thought to myself. The uncaught exception:java.lang.ClassCastException box pops up upon reboot and there is no way to clear it, click it, remove it or hide it. When I get to the hotel that night, I use the hotel computer to search BlackBerryForums at pinstack and I learn the problem is likely caused by the group address entry I had just created! But, alas, I had no cable to connect my phone to a computer, and no desktop software even if I had the cable. Arggghhh! So, long story short, I get back in the office this morning, connect my 8800, remove the address book and, voila, it works perfectly again!

So, here’s the solution for other people like me who thought adding a group email list was a great idea on their brand new 8800:

SOLUTION: Connect the USB phone cable to your computer. Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager (it should say disconnected because you haven't connected the phone yet). Reboot the BlackBerry (either remove and reinsert the battery, or press Alt-Shift-Del). Once the 8800 starts rebooting, plug the USB cable into the 8800. The screen will start showing that it’s testing security software (which is where it locks up with the java error upon completion). Before it gets to that lock up stage, though, you will notice that the desktop manager says you are connected. AS SOON AS YOU ARE CONNECTED to the 8800, open “Backup and Restore”, then “Advanced”, it will take a minute or so to show the databases on the right with the number of records in each one. Once it is done, highlight “Address Book” with one mouse click, and then click “Clear” and then “Okay” on the confirmation dialog box. It will take it a minute, but it will erase all of your address book entries – including the group entry/entries that caused this problem. Once it is done, remove the USB cable and reboot the 8800 (see above). And there ya go, your 8800 works once again. Now just sync your Outlook contacts again and don’t add any groups!!! At least until there is a patch, someday.

EvokedShade no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Re: 8800 is locking behind Java error message

Quote Originally Posted by dogstir
    LEARN FROM MY MISTAKE: Well, I just got back from my first vacation in years (you know, can't leave my startup for fear of being out-of-business when I come back), so as hard as it was to take off for a week, I just knew everything would be okay because I could stay in touch with my brand new 8800!!! In fact, I'll just leave the laptop at home because I now have a portable computer practically! Woo-hoo, right?!?!

Anyway, exactly one hour into my train travel (too late to turn around now!), I decided it would be convenient to add an email group to my address book to respond to email questions from the office, and sending a copy back to my desktop computer for filing purposes. BAD MISTAKE! Ten minutes after adding a group email, my brand new 8800 locked up tighter than a maximum security prison. So, what do I do now? I thought to myself. The uncaught exception:java.lang.ClassCastException box pops up upon reboot and there is no way to clear it, click it, remove it or hide it. When I get to the hotel that night, I use the hotel computer to search BlackBerryForums at pinstack and I learn the problem is likely caused by the group address entry I had just created! But, alas, I had no cable to connect my phone to a computer, and no desktop software even if I had the cable. Arggghhh! So, long story short, I get back in the office this morning, connect my 8800, remove the address book and, voila, it works perfectly again!

So, here’s the solution for other people like me who thought adding a group email list was a great idea on their brand new 8800:

SOLUTION: Connect the USB phone cable to your computer. Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager (it should say disconnected because you haven't connected the phone yet). Reboot the BlackBerry (either remove and reinsert the battery, or press Alt-Shift-Del). Once the 8800 starts rebooting, plug the USB cable into the 8800. The screen will start showing that it’s testing security software (which is where it locks up with the java error upon completion). Before it gets to that lock up stage, though, you will notice that the desktop manager says you are connected. AS SOON AS YOU ARE CONNECTED to the 8800, open “Backup and Restore”, then “Advanced”, it will take a minute or so to show the databases on the right with the number of records in each one. Once it is done, highlight “Address Book” with one mouse click, and then click “Clear” and then “Okay” on the confirmation dialog box. It will take it a minute, but it will erase all of your address book entries – including the group entry/entries that caused this problem. Once it is done, remove the USB cable and reboot the 8800 (see above). And there ya go, your 8800 works once again. Now just sync your Outlook contacts again and don’t add any groups!!! At least until there is a patch, someday.
    Holy CRAP!! That worked! I was pretty discouraged when I saw the error message. I haven't even had my new 8800 for 48h yet and when it locked up I was pretty determaned to find a way to fix this thing. Thanks, your suggestion saved my nerves and brain cells.

Thank you!

-E.S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast