Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Does the 8830 have a similar holster?... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

kdkng no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3049A487

Re: 8800 Holster Warning

Advertisement

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Does the 8830 have a similar holster?

andykhoang no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23f25cd0

I discovered that my iPod oem case fits the 8800 like a glove. I am referring to the oem black canvas one that has a belt clip.

Dasher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21F6D890

Smile Re: 8800 Holster Warning

Quote Originally Posted by kdkng
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Does the 8830 have a similar holster?
    yes it does.

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

I didn't like the OEM stock holster.

As soon as I ordered my BB (which was boxed with a holster), the first thing I did was order an aftermarket one. Both arrived at the same time.

The aftermarket holster looked good, fit my 8800 like a glove. But it didn't have sleep magnets, it wasn't grooved for the trackball, and the belt clip... although it was as good as any, didn't seem as secure as the plastic clip on the OEM case.

I like that the OEM holster's clip was "anchored" at the bottom, that is, it was less likely to slip off my belt than the aftermarket clip. Yes, they were both non-detachable ratcheting swivel clips, but... well, it's hard to describe, so let me give you a scenario:

I wear "bomber" style jackets, with elastic waistbands. I generally wear the jacket over the belt and holster, rather than having it stick out. If I bend down or bend over, the jacket can ride up my back, and take the holster up with it, where it can fall off my belt and onto the ground. But because the OEM holster's clip sort of "locks" onto my belt, it is less likely to come loose when I am moving around or bending over.

So, security from falling off was my #1 concern. #2 is the grooved trackball channel, so that I don't accidentally press buttons or make trackball selections while putting the phone away or while it is holstered (although keylocks can take care of that, I generally don't auto or manually keylock my phone). #3 was the sleeper magnets, which allow it to switch profiles from holstered (ring and vibe) and unholstered (ring only) automatically.

Those three points combined have me lean heavily towards using the OEM case over a 3rd party one, although I am still looking to see if there is something that meets two out of the three criteria I have, preferably in 1, 2, 3 order.

Now I have broken these spring loaded plastic clips before, on one of my previous phones; by brushing by a table or whatnot, where a leather/metal clip might have survived. But the clip might have equally survived but my phone ended up on the floor, whereas my phone stayed attached (likely by luck) to the holster and clip in this instance.

Everyone's experiences and preferences may vary of course, but this is what influenced me.

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Thanx for the heads up Publican! I'm a bit disappointed to hear that the 8800 holster isn't up to scratch like the 8700 holster was. I had the clip bend off of that one as well, but it sure took a long time to do so....
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12