Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

they could track you even if you have the GPS off they don't do it ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

jloverg no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: 8800 GPS REMOVAL? Can you get tracked?

Advertisement

they could track you even if you have the GPS off they don't do it because it cost a lot of money remember wireless you are connected via satelite not wires if you unplug it they wont see you

maxima411 no está en línea Stack level 1

what does BT mean? and I guess bottomline, how do you get rid of the GPS function. I'm sure their is a built in gps antenna just like the ones on the ones you can buy from walmart. Can i physically open the device and take it out? thanks

icancn2u no está en línea Stack level 4

BT = bluetooth. I am not ready to open mine and find out. I would be afraid that it would mess something else up

jskrlj no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F20220

Many people in Europe, esp. Russia will take out their battery when they get down to business. I mean REAL business, not "business". High end execs never know who's trying to get what information.

DeviOne no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I want GPS on both my phone and my husbands.

Is it possible to set up a i.t policy from the bes to turn gps off just like u can do with the bluetooth?

OMEGA46 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23e355ab

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ if your afraid of being tracked, don't buy a GPS phone, don't own any cell phone, don't use an ATM, credit card, go online from your house, have a car in your name an have it serviced from any shop that's online, use a food store discount card with your name on it, etc etc etc. Come on seriously, no need to worry about being tracked if your not doing anything your not supposed to be.

i understand that if you dont want to be tracked don't get a cellphone, or us a atm, or get your car serviced or whatever. I honestly just want to know if its possible to take off the gps from the berry. I like the feature but for some people they like the 8800 and think its the best device and love the blackberry just like we do but is their a way? nobody seems to know, and its just a honest question

Anyways, i downloaded the 8800 handheld software and update the 4.2 desktop version. Tried doing all the settings in the actual berry. And ya their is no way to get rid of the GPS function. If anybody can figure out a way. Wow. You are a blackberry wizard!!

auroran no está en línea Stack level 2

GPS devices have been (to my knowledge) legislated into being installed in the phones. The reasoning? 911 calls; sure they can triangulate you to get your location but a GPS is more accurate (down to a foot or 2 instead of 20). You also don't have to try to decipher what a hysterical caller will say for where they are (or if they don't know).

Several manufacturers (like RIM) have decided, if we have to have a GPS in there we may as well make it available to the customer also.

All a GPS does is read clock signals from the satellites and from that it figures out it's location. It's the phone, when calling making a call, that passes the information on to the service provider, then on to the emergency services.

Given the accuracy in triangulation anyway I don't see a reason to disable the GPS.
    Perhaps you could give us some reasoning behind your question?

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

he's running man, he's running.
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by maxima411
    Is there anyway to remove the GPS antenna or even wipe the feature off the handheld.
    You're not going to find what you're looking for short of physically removing the GPS receiver.

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

You could carry your phone in a bag of copper mesh......
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

greyhound no está en línea Stack level 1

If it's your employer tracking you that you're worried about, that is possible with the 8800, but it's an extra-cost service through Telenav.

Anyways, from talking to a few sources... I think RIM has loaded some firmware in the 8800's. So if the government or any other agencies wanted to track you they can. I have heard because of the Patriot Act that they will do this. But their is actually no way you can disable this GPS function, thats why they are coming out with non GPS units

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast