Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sorry if this has been answered before but I've been away from these forums for ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

garran no está en línea Stack level 3

8700 vs 8800

Advertisement

Sorry if this has been answered before but I've been away from these forums for a while.
    Now that the new 8800 has hit the shelves I was wondering if any users of both the 8700 and 8800 would be kind enough to provide a few pro/cons between these two devices.

jaeaum no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: 8700 vs 8800

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ does anyone know when it is going to be on verizonwireless?

DeadHead613 no está en línea Stack level 1

I have the 8700c, 8800g and the vzw 8703e (yeah I know, but it's all part of the job ).

I gotta tell you that my favorite is the 8700c. It is fast and light and quick.
    The 8703e is the fastest wirelessly (EVDO) but adds some bulk and weight for the bigger battery needed to support CDMA.

The 8800 is a disappointment. It looks so cool, but the flat buttons make it very hard to type and the whole things just doesn't sit well in my hand. I also think that they may have made a mistake with the larger battery. Yes it adds time between recharges, but it makes the unit bottom-heavey.

VZW will probably have an 8800 before the end-of-the-year, but not by much...

Felixtc no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Deadhead: I have a question. You mentioned that the design of the 8800 makes it hard to type mainly due to the flat keys. I have been thinking about getting one seeing how right now my 7290 is just not fast enough for me. At the time with it being my first bb it was a great buy at 150.00. Now with the introduction of the 8800 I guess I have a desire for the latest greatest bb. Let me stop rambling and get on to my question I type a lot on my 7290 will there be a issue with me typing given the design? NOTE: I have big hands.

joe allen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32b09853

Quote Originally Posted by jaeaum
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ does anyone know when it is going to be on verizonwireless?
    its verizon.........so about 2009
    Joe - 8703
    "Blackberryland is a much happier place than Palmville"

Cvelez no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    My 2c I had an 8700c and got a 8800 2 days ago, I love the new keboard! I have big hands and I had a lot of trouble with the 8700 kb, but I can type all day with this one with less errors, also I love the interface with the trackball I was not very fond on the weel, I also like that the menu key is separated from the select (weel) key (big anoyance for me on the other phones), you can scroll up/down and sides without pressing a key, take into account that the 8700 was my first bb. On the downside, the 8800 seems to have slighty less range, the maps app is not working well yet (doesn't scroll to the sides), I haven't had good luck using the voice dial but I haven't "adjusted" it yet as suggested.

Overall I love the phone and woulndt go back (even if the only difference where the kb)

Anyway my 2c....

Havek no está en línea Stack level 2

For me from the 8700 to 8800

8700 Faster menus
    8800 Better Phone Quality, Better Keyboard

So far thats my experince

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

...and don't forget to compare specs at Blackberry.com. Just remember that the keyboard is a subjective matter and you'll get people with opinions on both sides of the fence. Check out the 8800 in person as well!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Felixtc
    Now with the introduction of the 8800 I guess I have a desire for the latest greatest bb. Let me stop rambling and get on to my question I type a lot on my 7290 will there be a issue with me typing given the design? NOTE: I have big hands.
    I have owned the 7290, then 8700, now 8800. I too, have large hands. The finest BlackBerry keyboard ever is the one you have in your hands.

However that said I understand your desire for a new BB. I made a huge and unusual mistake. I ordered a new 8700 sight unseen. I was so stupid to think that after the great keyboard on the 7290, the 8700 would also have a good keyboard. Wow, was I wrong!

I could have not been more wrong. While I still have the 8700, I rarely use it becuase the keyboard is dreadful. The keys are narrow and part of the styling element. The are tapered from top down so the top of the keys are smaller than the overall key size at the bottom. Also the inside vertical edge of each key is chamfered, further reducing the size of the surface your finger touches while typing.

So needless to say I was very eager to try out a 8800. I find this new keyboard a huge improvement over the 8700. Certainly not as good as the 7290 as the overall size of the device has been reduced.

I have had my 8800 for 4 days, and used it heavily, about 80-100 emails per day. I have become accustomed to the keyboard and find it's decent if not as comfortable and nice as the one you have. It's a good middle ground. Like anything else new, it's a matter of adjusting. Something that no matter how hard I tried, or how long I spent, just did not work on the 8700.

If you are ready for a new BB, then I think you would like this one. Setting aside the keyboard for a moment. Everything else about this new model is refined to the point that it's really nice. The display is something that you would really enjoy, as it's very bright, great colors and contrast. The speed is indeed quite a bit faster than what you are using now and I'm sure you would like that increase. The size and shape give this model a good feel in your hand. Build quality is very nice.

I would suggest you give this model a try, there is a very good chance that you will be very happy with it. I'm keeping mine. It's well built and very well balanced. Quite nice to use for guys like us with big hands.

Cheers...

Felixtc no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    I have owned the 7290, then 8700, now 8800. I too, have large hands. The finest BlackBerry keyboard ever is the one you have in your hands.

However that said I understand your desire for a new BB. I made a huge and unusual mistake. I ordered a new 8700 sight unseen. I was so stupid to think that after the great keyboard on the 7290, the 8700 would also have a good keyboard. Wow, was I wrong!

I could have not been more wrong. While I still have the 8700, I rarely use it becuase the keyboard is dreadful. The keys are narrow and part of the styling element. The are tapered from top down so the top of the keys are smaller than the overall key size at the bottom. Also the inside vertical edge of each key is chamfered, further reducing the size of the surface your finger touches while typing.

So needless to say I was very eager to try out a 8800. I find this new keyboard a huge improvement over the 8700. Certainly not as good as the 7290 as the overall size of the device has been reduced.

I have had my 8800 for 4 days, and used it heavily, about 80-100 emails per day. I have become accustomed to the keyboard and find it's decent if not as comfortable and nice as the one you have. It's a good middle ground. Like anything else new, it's a matter of adjusting. Something that no matter how hard I tried, or how long I spent, just did not work on the 8700.

If you are ready for a new BB, then I think you would like this one. Setting aside the keyboard for a moment. Everything else about this new model is refined to the point that it's really nice. The display is something that you would really enjoy, as it's very bright, great colors and contrast. The speed is indeed quite a bit faster than what you are using now and I'm sure you would like that increase. The size and shape give this model a good feel in your hand. Build quality is very nice.

I would suggest you give this model a try, there is a very good chance that you will be very happy with it. I'm keeping mine. It's well built and very well balanced. Quite nice to use for guys like us with big hands.

Cheers...
    I appreciate every word. Let's see what happens over the next month of so.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Felixtc
    I appreciate every word. Let's see what happens over the next month of so.
    Your quite welcome.

I see your plan of waiting, the perfect way to go.

Cheers!

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

The keyboard on the 7290 was and still is a fantastic keyboard. There was much detest over the 8700's keyboard at that device's launch. I never found the 8700's keyboard that bad. The trouble with the 7290 is the CPU is much too slow for the latest O/Ss compared with the 8700 and later. I suspect people will warm up to the 8800's keyboard like we all did with the 8700 (more or less). Ditto with regards to the trackball.

I see the trackball as an advancement (with the mandatory readjustment period for BB veterans)

The screen and phone quality are improved.

The device is slimmer than a 87xx.

For some, the looks of the 8800 is a plus.

billytickets no está en línea Stack level 2

the Offical Verizon logo should be a cell phone on crutches, first the manufacturers release the news phones than the Verizon chop shop spend 9 months figuring out how to cripple it.

I wish i could draw them a new logo

MMB916 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23D42FC8

I have a bit of a different perspective. I LOVE my 8700 and truly enjoy using the keyboard and the clickwheel. Now I decided I would move to the 8800 - I'm a sucker for new technology Always keeping current and upgrading - selling fairly new and in perfect condition electronics to friends or on Ebay. Anyway, I was excited to use my new 8800.

In my own personal and humble opinion, the 8800 didn't measure up. The 8800 is going back to the store. I can understand why people who want a full keyboard would switch from the Pearl. Or perhaps older models of BBs. Granted, I do prefer the size of the 8800 to the size of my 8700. However, I have no need for the expandable memory and the GPS. As far as multimedia, I have made customized ring tones and customized caller ID, etc... work on my 8700. Also, as far as music, I'm keeping my IPOD...

I found using the trackball was easy enough to get used to. I understand the argument for being able to go side to side. But I'm so used to my clickwheel that the trackball isn't enough to pull me away. Also, I found the keys on the 8800 a bit too close together for my liking. I used the device extensively for a week. In addition, I found that when you're used to the Zen Theme on the 8700 and all of the menus and icons on the right side of the screen, of course on the 8800, the Zen Dimension theme puts those things on the left side of the screen.

Anyway....I definitely didn't LOVE the 8800 like I was hoping to. And given my attachment to my 8700, I decided to take the 8800 back to Cingular and take a look at the 9000 series (hopefully in Q4). I must admit, I am one of the few that hopes that RIM will not toss out the clickwheel...if they do, I will move along with them...but here's to hoping!
    Best Regards,
    Mara
    8700c and lovin' it

manapuaman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f011d6

Both processors are 312 right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast