Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I posted the same thread over in the 8100 forum. I would appreciate any comments ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

winste no está en línea Stack level 2

8100 vs. 8800 again.

Advertisement

I posted the same thread over in the 8100 forum. I would appreciate any comments from the readers here.

I've been lurking a little bit and posting sparingly. I hate starting new threads but another post prompted me to start this one.

I will be purchasing my first BB in about 4 weeks and have been debating passionately with myself (not literally) between the 8100 and the 8800.

In reading through the two forums pretty thoroughly, I keep coming back to two questions.

Is the 8800 your first Blackberry? I would expect most 8800 users to be veterans. And how much BB/data usage vs. phone usage?

It seems that 8800 users have a higher data/BB usage % than 8100 users, strictly from some the posts in this forum vs. the 8100 forum.

Am I off? I like the size of the Pearl, will be using whichever one I buy for about 15 e-mails a day, like the GPS of the 8800 but like the camera of the 8800. This would be my first so I think I could use either the QWERTY or Suretype. Unfortunately I must purchase my own and therefore will be not be able to afford an upgrade for a couple of years after my purchase. I have tested both at a local Cingular and could live with either keypad.

BTW, pinstack is the most informative website and well moderated forum I have seen. I have learned much from everybody here.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: 8100 vs. 8800 again.

The 8800 is my sixth Blackberry model. I picked it because I can't stand SureType. You might want to make sure that you don't have a strong preference one way or the other -- a lot of people do prefer one or the other when it comes to the keyboard.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Hi winste,

That is a tough question? There are those factors and many more.

The 8800 i think will be titled the workhorse in the future.
    Many choose based on their hand size
    Many choose based on appearance
    Many choose based on what they have been used to in the past.

Either way i don't think you will be upset with either. I'll let other Stackers comment on other issues to think about.

I love my Pearl but i'm sure i would also like the 8800. I chose based on the service. Cing (where i am) is not worth a dime, T-Mobile fit my needs.

So i decided using that as the final factor.

galvatron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240582a8

Probably go 8800 when tmo comes out withe there version. The suretype on my old 7105t got old real quick. The perls way too small for me I had the oporunity to get my ahnds on ether on an the perl was not as rugged as the 8700 and since I work for a pipline contractor I needed somthing that could handle the abuse. An was big enough for my hands 8700 fit the build
    Ill probaby grab the 8800

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The pearl is my first BB. I really like its size, I also like the camera, but sometimes it has no use.. Basically for a quick snap shot and to send to friends to show something...

Size wise, I haven't really touched and feel the 8800.. With what I have read, I saw some good reviews about it. Solid feel, and the keys they said "feels good"..
    With the pearl, its little, and light, but sometimes I think it will break really easy..

Its your own preference about QWERTY or suretype. I like sure type for one hand typing. But the pearl slows down, and when you type fast, your words are totally off..
    I like the QWERTY as well, since I used to be a Treo user.

Its up to you really, test it out yourself, and let's see which of the 2 beautiful toys you would fall in love with..

pin:23df22d7

rokinDa8703e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

I like my 8703 and I tested a suretype model in the verizon store but my hands and fingers didn't work well with it.
    For casual texting and emails the suretype keypad would probobly be tolerable but if you have to compose longer emails or have larger hands the 88 would probobly feel best to you.
    The camera feature is nice and I found I used my digital camera more often than I thought I would when I bought it so I'm sure its the same with the pearl.
    One thing I love is my 87 can be used as a modem for my laptop which is a really cool feature, I don't know if the pearl can do that or not...ask around and don't be afraid to tell the reps you will walk if they don't give you trial time with different units

lux
    lux no está en línea Stack level 2

I have played with both models a bit now, and though I liked the feel of the qwerty keyboard on the 8800 I am still a fan of the suretype on the 8100.

Both have real positives, but I personally wanted a phone that I could carry comfortably in any situation - and the 8100 fills my need.

For reading long e-mails, and constantly looking at your calendar, the screensize of the 8800 is nice... But when I leave work for the day, I would rather slip the phone in my pocket and forget about it

kasperapd no está en línea Stack level 3

I have used the Pearl, and currently use the 8800. I like both devices, but prefer the 8800 just slightly over the Pearl because of the QWERTY keyboard and built-in GPS. I do however, miss the camera on the Pearl. It's really a tough choice you have. Spend some time with both devices in the store, and see which one suits your needs best.

jsternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23DFE188

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ although I do not have an 8800, I did have a 8100 and did not like it. My first blackberry (and the one I still use to this day) is an 8700. When the pearl came out I jumped onto the band wagon, but quickly found myself irritated by the lack of speed that the pearl delivered, the freezing of the os, as well as the small keypad (suretype is not my friend.) The pearls size was nice, but the keys were a pain and if your sending out 15 emails a day, I would highly suggest going with a full qwerty 8800 - it will save you and your mind. I quickly switched back to my 8700 from the pearl and have been happy ever since with a full on qwerty. I do wish that the 8800 would've come with a camera, but I suppose that is something to look forward to later on this year (maybe??). So long story short, get the 8800 it is more efficient and less stressful all round.

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

Well I know I won't be much of help on this one, but I currently use a pearl! I've always had a suretype bb so I have grown to use the system. I just want to remind you that the suretype system does take some adjusting to. But after a day or so you'll breez through it. The pearl is perfect for you if an camera and form factor is your thing. But if your going to be pounding out a lot of work, I suggest the 8800. It has a full keyboard, and its screen is huge!! Either way your getting a great phone!! Btw welcome to the bb familia!! Peace

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

1) I do not own the 8800. My first true BB was a 7730 (x2), then the SureType series (7100 x3, 7105 x2, and now the 8100).

2) Data usage: MAYBE 20 MB per month (due to having access to a PC at home). Phone usage: Less than 10 minutes per month. LOL I use my phone if I need to be picked up from school early.

I have chosen to go with the smaller device due to my needs of device portability. The 7100 and 8100 series have given me the portability and convenience I need in a phone shaped form factor. But the 7100 series, in my opinion, was lacking in durability. I went thru 5 7100 series devices in 2 years (4 of them had mechanical problems, 1 was delivered late and returned. Thank you T-Mobile for equipment protection). They were good phones, just didn't hold up well enough. On the upside, it only took me a day to learn SureType. It takes others more time.

Now my 8100 Pearl has been droppped and thrown and no damage to the phone itself and it still works.

Now as for my full keyboard experiences, they were even worse than the 7100's. The 7730's felt like brick waffles. The screens were horrible. Battery lasted less than 1 day. Signal dropped on the first one (14 days after I got it). Horrible reception on the second device (this one surprisingly lasted 2 months). I got fed up with the problems and just bought the 7100t outright.

So, to the OP, it depends on which phone you think will serve your needs the best (Don't let this scare you into not getting the BB you want). Even though I hadn't had the best of luck with the smaller BB's until now, they still met my needs when it comes to form factor and portability. Good luck. And you did the right thing by coming to the forum to ask us pro users what we have used in the past.

mysmyrrh no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e4456e

I would recommend a Pearl for your first BB. Since you"ve never used one before, and see used to the normal smaller size cellphones, the keyboard shouldn't be an issue. It isn't difficult to type out over 15 emails any more than it is to send out over 200 text msgs a day. The camera is excellent for what it is, and I've had very good pics developed off my memory card. You can shoot pics in 3 sizes, and the flash component is great. The OS issues that plagued the Pearl at rollout are mostly fixed. Altho small in size, it is a rugged phone, and isn't delicate in any way. The mp3 player is useful, and while not the best sound quality, it's decent, especially when wearing headphones. Being able to play videos is a lot of fun, especially when you have favs from Atom Films, YouTube, etc that have been converted. Games availability is good, and getjar.com has quite a selection of free games and useful apps. While I use my Pearl for personal, not business reasons, it would be perfectly suited for a self-employed small business owner. I use my tasks and memo pad to track purchases I make for my jewelry making business. There are some excellent newsreader apps out there if being in touch is important to you. Currently I am using the Newsclip app as a free trial. When it expires in May, I think the $24.95 subscriptyion will be a bargain. Using images gleaned from the internet as wallpapers is easy, and mp3 as well as midi tones are supported.those are also available free on several sites. My carrier is TMO, and the service is excellent. The unlimited bb data plan is a bargain at $19.99, half of what Cingular charges. All in all, the Pearl would and is still my first choice for a bb. The 8800 isn't worth the price IMHO, and until it's rolled out with a camera and wifi I can gladly do without. So for good looks, dependability, and function you won't go wrong with a Pearl as your first bb. It's my first, and I've never regretted my choice. Hope this helps! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

My 8800 is my 5th blackberry. I love it. I also think very highly of the 8100, the for is fantastic and it does have a camera. All that being said,I still choose the 8800. The suretype as an issue with me. I would suggest palying with both of them to find your unique fit.
    Wendy
    Iphone...what else would a MAC user have.....

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

There's no telling what one's keyboard preference is until that person actually starts using one or the other. There are some heavy emailers that are perfectly happy with SureType and even prefer it. There are some people that can adapt to either keyboard. And there are some that really can't stand SureType. Just make sure you don't have a strong preference (regardless of other's opinions) either way as it can strongly influence how happy you are with your BB.

cynamicny no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F282DC

I just moved away from the 8100 and upgraded to the 8800. I've used the 7520, then moved to the 8700, 8100 and now the 8800. I coiuldn't get used to the suretype keyboard! I love the small factor of the pearl but for me being able to type fast is a must! it's really a personal choice, but like other members said, spend some time at your local store and try them both, then make your decision!
    I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with either one. Once you decide which one you choose, let us know if you need help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast