Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It's not a matter of buyer's remorse on my end. When I purchased the 8700 ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

mrmagoo no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: 4.2 8700 update

Advertisement

It's not a matter of buyer's remorse on my end. When I purchased the 8700 back in late August (hardly new adoption) I did some research first. Both the Pearl and 8700 use the Intel XScale processor, which supports audio and video acceleration. I appreciate the fact that they could be different processor versions, and the hardware could be completely different within the phone. I gambled on the fact that the RIM OS just wasn't robust enough to handle the 8700 hardware at that time, and hoped it would catch up. I suspect others had this same thought process.

I'm a sr. software engineer and can appreciate the work involved in adding new funtionality to an OS. However I'm also a consumer. Consumers don't necessarily care if the technology is hard to develop, nor should they have to. They pay good money, and want the most bang for their buck.

If RIM doesn't release 4.2 for the 8700, I'm not going to cry. But I can't say I wouldn't be disappointed.

Just my $0.02

backbeat no está en línea Awaiting email verification

Quote Originally Posted by mrmagoo
    I gambled on the fact that the RIM OS just wasn't robust enough to handle the 8700 hardware at that time, and hoped it would catch up.
    What specific hardware capabilities are you referring to which the OS proved to be deficient?

bbjoe no está en línea Stack level 1

You would think that by now someone with 4.2 beta would have posted a .torrent of it.

Then people could stop asking for it here.

Going to try and make it to CES this thusday if my schedule allows, perhaps someone at RIM might slip and give out some info on 4.2

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by peguero
    IMHO- the issue for me is not just upgrading- it is the fact that the 8700 series has all this hidden potential that was never realized/utilized.

If you can explain to me how the 8700 is obsolete, then by all means it's time to upgrade, but if there is still some juice that hasn't been tapped...WTF!?!?! seriously. RIM would be doing a great injustice by simply tossing in the towel and giving up on this one.

Seriously folks how many of us have-

- Maxed out the ram, overclocked the processors or upgraded the HD on a PC??

- Upgraded the speaker system or switched to Monster cables on our stereo systems??

- polished and put a new heel on an expensive pair of shoes????

You just don't toss an item cause another one becomes available.

AM I MAKING ANY SENSE?????

you making perfect sence if i have to buy another phone when i have only had this phone for 5 months i will cancel BB service and hop on the iphone bandwagon i dont know about the rest of you but i paid sticker for my phone being i wasnt a new customer technology or not $480 is a lot of dough to drop every few months.

nabitheking no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3047E391

As everyone might have guessed, I don't think that 4.2 OS will be available for 8700s, at least not until RIM will have released the anticipated 8800s first.
    Say.. if the new OS is available for 8700s, there is a good chance that a lot of 8700 users like I am will think twice about getting the 8800.
    Not to mention that some of us would wait till the price comes down, because the 8700 with 4.2 OS would get us by at least that long until we see the price starts coming down. And let's not forget about our contracts that are 6 months, 11 months or up to 2 years long.
    If I had the new OS for my 8700g, I think I could wait about a year...
    Honestly, do we really want to think that is what RIM is trying to do?
    I think not!
    Don't get me wrong, I personally want this new OS like yesterday.
    I waited and waited but nada...
    I should just stay away from these forums for a while, that way I don't get all hyped up and find out later that there is nothing but speculations.
    I just gotta say that this endless waiting game really wears me down...
    Last edited by nabitheking; 01-11-2007 at 02:53 PM.

grape8pe no está en línea Stack level 1

I would love to give 4.2 beta try too! My email address is grape8pe@hotmail.com Thanks!

webclient no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20426A6E

geoffm no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    203BD0EA

sl6t9 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23e8a244

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    you making perfect sence if i have to buy another phone when i have only had this phone for 5 months i will cancel BB service and hop on the iphone bandwagon i dont know about the rest of you but i paid sticker for my phone being i wasnt a new customer technology or not $480 is a lot of dough to drop every few months.
    Unfortunately for some of us, switching from the BlackBerry bandwagon isn't an option so we make the best of our BlackBerries.

Releasing a software update for a current phone that will be released on an upcoming phone will not stop people from buying the new phone. The new trackball and design of the 8800 is the motive to buy it. Giving 8700 users an OS update will not give them a trackball or a new shell, rather a few new features and less bugs. I don't see where sales can be lost, and I don't see the sense in buying a brand new BlackBerry just to get a better OS.

nabitheking no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3047E391

sl6t9, you have to keep in mind that most of us have ongoing contract with a carrier.
    In my case, if 8800 come out first prior to the release of the new OS, I will buy that thing regardless of status of my contract.
    On the other hand, if the new OS is available before 8800 comes out, I will most likely stick with my 8700. I would wait till I can utilize my upgrade fund. I've got about 9 months to go.
    It is just my guess, but RIM would've had all these things taken into consideration.
    So the chances are... 8800 comes out first and then the new OS will be available for 8700s, if it will be available.

twistone no está en línea Stack Professional

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i would love to beta test the new os my email is twistone@gmail.com

Hyper no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24FDAA1C

me too please hypermaster@gmail.com

babelfish no está en línea Stack level 1

I've been a BES admin for 4 years now. I am tired of the games these carriers (Especially Verizon) and Blackberry play. I can tell you with a matter of certainly from experience with prior releases that timing is everything with these folks and they will go to any lengths to squeeze every last penny from us. One day it will become to much and I’ll switch.

bukwit no está en línea Stack level 1

dts51 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask ;-)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast