Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First of all - I think XM Radio for Blackberry is terrible. The quality sucks, ... General Blackberry forum

KyleBB8100 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23FD63A5

Thumbs down XM Radio for Blackberry

Advertisement

First of all - I think XM Radio for Blackberry is terrible.

The quality sucks, in most locations it has to precache 3-4 times during an average song, and you have to pay for it - EVEN IF YOU'RE A CURRENT XM SUBSCRIBER.

I have an XM radio account with 4 radios on it. I pay quite a bit for radio each month and XM Radio online doesn't provide any discount or free service. Kind of silly if you ask me.

Anyone else like it, or feel the same?

mcupp77 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    31852d2c

XM Sirus Stream

try this.....I use this on my 8130 for sirus should work the same..

(1) an always-on PC, connected to the Internet via DSL/Cable/FIOS or any other similar high-speed connection
    (2) install Orb on pc orb(dot)com set up an account free of charge
    (3) install uSirius and/or /uXM on (1) depending on what you subscribe to (optional for streaming XM/Sirius
    (4) in Orb create custom channel based off of uSirus or U/XM (easy to do)
    (5) On blackberry browser go to mycast(dot)orb(dot)com

Took about 15 minutes to set up streaming as we speak free of charge. Works great

PIN/ID
    23FD63A5
    My media server is behind a firewall that I cannot configure anymore (Long story - don't ask :-P ). So this won't work for me. Oh well. I'm doomed.

dlsolo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleBB8100 View Post
    First of all - I think XM Radio for Blackberry is terrible.

The quality sucks, in most locations it has to precache 3-4 times during an average song, and you have to pay for it - EVEN IF YOU'RE A CURRENT XM SUBSCRIBER.

I have an XM radio account with 4 radios on it. I pay quite a bit for radio each month and XM Radio online doesn't provide any discount or free service. Kind of silly if you ask me.

Anyone else like it, or feel the same?

I feel the same way. I have 3 devices, not including my 2 cars. And I can't have this as a free service to my blackberry? Something ain't right!!! As for the quality on my 8310, I wasn't to pleased. It would be one of those desperate need of music, for me to listen to that, instead of the MP3s I have on my mem card.

Just my two cents

PIN/ID
    23FD63A5
    Exactly. I've got music on my MicroSD card - so the need for XM Radio for Blackberry was minimal.

PIN/ID
    23FD63A5
    Though.... now that I think of it. Adding an additional radio onto your XM account does cost money - so I guess charging for the XM Radio mobile version should cost too.

But some sort of discount off of the new radio plan price would be nice.

dlsolo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    ^ yeap, right there with you!!! I don't know, I would still like the option to be apart of my current account.

I still have the trial on my 8310 but doubt I'll use it any time soon.

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    I wouldn't know... Xm radio is only available in the US.. Looked like a solid app however... Good to get some actual imput on people who actually use it. Thanks for the imput. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

brayndeded no está en línea Stack level 2
    ok you got me on this orb thing. my wife has sirius sat. so im going to try this, but might need some more in depth info cuz im a bit slow at this.

brayndeded no está en línea Stack level 2
    hey mcupp77, i dont see where to do #4 step in your post. where do you go on orb to set a sirius channel?
    thanks

rmarkowitz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    I also test drove XM Radio on my 8310. It's an interesting idea but with my particular hardware I found the XM radio sound quality lacking and bad data buffering caused hiccups in the sound stream.

Just in case anyone was unsure XM Radio for BB is data based and not true satellite radio.

As with any streaming data type based application unless you have a fat/fast data pipe there might be blips in the audio/video quality when data speeds can't keep up with the player.

GPRS/EDGE based phones with their theoretical 384kb/s data speeds (typically 200kb/s) clearly have difficulty keeping up.

3G based phones with their higher theoretical 2Mb/s data speeds should have a better time of it.

In my opinion XM Radio needs to make some improvements in the sound quality and data stream buffering logic.
    Last edited by rmarkowitz; 09-27-2008 at 07:19 PM.

PIN/ID
    31852d2c
    Quote Originally Posted by brayndeded View Post
    hey mcupp77, i dont see where to do #4 step in your post. where do you go on orb to set a sirius channel?
    thanks
    Sorry late response....

Open usirius/uxm

Click on URLs

select channel and copy URL

Go back to ORB

Click on Audio the Internet Radio

Near the top of the page click on "add custom"

Name the station and paste the url in path and your done

I love it!!! Works awesome. You can also set orb to record programs like a dvr and play the later. Please let me know if this helps

iamgoofy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    210ca18d
    i may be incorrect here with this thought! but if you subscribe to xm for a bb,,,i dont think you even get the entire channel lineup as you do with a regular xm?

PIN/ID
    31852d2c
    .xmradio.com/mobile/channels.xmc

PIN/ID
    23FD63A5
    I wrote XM Radio about this. They've responded saying they are planning price bundles right now - but currently it's still a "Beta run" for XM Radio for Blackberry.

I think streaming media will be better used when Blackberry's go 3G.

Strange that XM is only in the US. The ad's on XM always say something along the lines of -

"The world's first global sattelite radio.. blah blah blah"

Funny that only the Yankee's get it. :-P Oh right, the US is the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast