Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Came across this this morning, it seems as though some people just want an Email ... General Blackberry forum

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional

Wow! Talk about Knockoffs...

Advertisement

Came across this this morning, it seems as though some people just want an Email ONLY device, of course its no one here at PinStack, but I thought it was worth a read.

As cameras, MP3 players and text messaging become must-haves on cell phones, one startup is bucking the trend by going back to the basics.

Peek, a New York-based company, will soon launch a mobile device that has only one function – e-mail. In other words, the bare-bones gadget doesn’t take pictures, come with flashy graphics or even make calls. Given that you’ll still have to carry a cell phone, who would want to buy it? The so-called “soccer mom” demographic, says Amol Sarva, Peek’s founder and a former Virgin Mobile (VM) executive.

[Read More]

uncleman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317BC293
    Yeah, I don't get this at all. Then you'd have to carry a cell phone in addition to this email-only crap...plus an ipod and a camera and a digital book reader and a web browsing device.... Isn't the reason cell phones have evolved in such multi-task devices exactly BECAUSE we want to carry less junk around??? LOL

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    hmmm stock tip...look the other way

bigmarv no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Optional
    Sounds like someone just need to throw away some money. Man they can throw it over here so I can go on a Donald Trump vacation.via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    I see the simplicity of the device, but I think it's going a bit in the wrong direction. As posted above, this would require yet another device to carry that would otherwise have been functionally integrated into another device like a BB.

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    One more reason to wear solar-catching clothing so I can charge all of my gadgets.

Paian no está en línea Stack level 3
    Lmao @ thread and device

Thx for the good laugh guys

Wow this device is close to useless, first blackhole doomsday, now this? Our world is coming to the end lol

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Well, good luck w/that...nothing like paying money for.......................nothing?

lonestarbuzz no está en línea Stack level 2
    not saying it's for me, but i work with quite a few people who only carry cell phones. these people also carry large calendars around with them and are generally afraid of blackberrys and technology in general. i think that is the demographic at which peek is aiming. $20 a month gets you a little device that gives you mobile email when you want it. The big reason that most people where I work odn't want to switch (other than general fear of technology) is that they don't want to always have a "big" phone on them with email.

I can see this working in quasi-corporate environments like the one I work in that has a mix of young and old employees. Granted, Peek won't steal marketshare from RIM, but there could be a surprising palce in the market for them.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    The market I see this going after is those businesses that are still using pagers at their facilities because of security. I can see a use for this with businesses and deaf alike.

Zo

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I think lonestarbuzz hit it on the nail. Do I think this will be the next big thing? No.

Now ... An sms and cam only for my kids who can't stop texting ... That's a great idea I don't even think they *talk* to anyone but me on the actual phone!

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    I believe this is for the people who want to " Look Cool " or Look like someone actually needs what they have to offer.
    So stupid IMHO

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    Oh my god. Isnt this regression? Thats why i got a BB, so i have everything on one device, and since i got this, i havent touched my ipod. I dont need it. I play music on my phone now.
    Plan will fail. Also, email isnt that important. If anything was that important, a person would receive a call/fax, or paper mail.

uncleman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317BC293
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    Now ... An sms and cam only for my kids who can't stop texting ... That's a great idea I don't even think they *talk* to anyone but me on the actual phone!
    Cherri, I LIKE that idea! I could actually see that working!

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post

I think lonestarbuzz hit it on the nail. Do I think this will be the next big thing? No.

Nope, not a good idea. Im a teacher and i see students texting all the time. And the reason they do so is because they cannot make a phone call in class, or the phone will be confiscated. If any kid had an option, they will take voice over text anytime. Now, if there was an option for limited minutes with the included mentioned, then that would be great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast