Hi, I've been playing with Gcalsync (gcalsync.com) the free java calendar synchronizer, and I wanted ... General Blackberry forum

phidauex no está en línea Stack level 2

Post Working GCalSync settings for 8100 (and possibly others)

Advertisement

Hi,

I've been playing with Gcalsync (gcalsync.com) the free java calendar synchronizer, and I wanted to post some working settings.

Its a tricky little program, but it works fairly well. It is still very beta, but it offers basic functionality for calendar syncing, and for free.

These settings are for a T-mobile Pearl, running the updated .69 OS (though that shouldn't make a big difference). My TCP setting (under Advanced Options) is set to wap.voicestream.com.

1. Download the app OTA from wap.gcalsync.com. I'm using v. 1.1.1 for Blackberry.

2. Add your google calendar username (in full form, blah@gmail.com) and password to the "username/password" section of of the "options" menu.

3. Adjust the 'sync period' to determine how many days into the past and future it should sync.

4. Under "Time Zone", I've got "Use Gcal time zone" set to ON. Since I am in Central Time (GMT-6), I've got Download Adjustment set to -06:00, and Upload Adjustment set to +06:00. Why this works, I don't know, but it does.

NOTE: The program is odd, when you first open the "Time Zone" settings, they always show 00:00 for adjustments, even if you changed and saved the setting. But if you back out to the Options menu, then go back into Time Zone, it will show your REAL settings. Bizarre little bug...

5. If you want your sync to be one-way only, then you can uncheck either upload or download in the options as well.

6. Your first sync should be a Full Resync. After that, regular Sync works. It should connect, ask if it can modify user data, and then show a brief log of what happened.

Limitations!! The program isn't perfect yet.. Here are some limitations. If you CREATE an event on the blackberry, it will get uploaded. However, if you MODIFY an event on the blackberry, Gcal won't see the modifications.

Repeating events aren't handled perfectly... It currently uploads them as individual events, which works, but it isn't as convenient as true repeating event support.

It only handles a single calendar, your "main" one. You can also specify a feed URL instead of supplying your username/pass, which should allow you to access any calendar, but still, you can only pick one right now.

Anyway, I hope this helps! I've been messing with this all morning, and finally have come upon these working settings. I know this program has been a thorn in many people's side, so I wanted to share my experiences.

Peace,
    Sam

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88
    Nice step by step. Thank you.

iflipstyln no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Working GCalSync settings for 8100 (and possibly others)

Hi,

Just wanted to find out what your settings where as far as connectivity. I have the program installed but keep getting the following error:

java.io.IOException: Open tunnel - failure - synch. failed

any fixes?

Thanks,
    RJ

kunalakajim no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    214EFD7A

can someone tell me what settings should i keep if i am in INDIA... +5:30 GMT..

I am having bizzare time having correct time in calendar, all entries are there but not showing correct time
    Better Times Ahead

Jim
    PIN - 2052B397
    Email - kunalakajim@gmail.com

PIN/ID
    214EFD7A

I despertely need help on this...
    Better Times Ahead

Jim
    PIN - 2052B397

braz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Nice post but, if your looking for an easier method with less setup involved try seeing my post has almost no limitaions.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._calendar.html
    braz
    www.pdi-inc.net
    Imaging Done Right

PIN/ID
    214EFD7A

NO thats not what I want but, I want gcal to do my work. I know it can do, just looking for HOW??
    Better Times Ahead

Jim
    PIN - 2052B397

braz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask

No huh, well no need to shout at me. Good luck getting ur gcal to work, I did and wasnt impressed. Enjoy
    braz
    www.pdi-inc.net
    Imaging Done Right