Hi all, first post. Given that I don't have an unlimited data plan, I consider ... General Blackberry forum

stronk no está en línea Stack level 1

Workaround for installing JAD file software

Advertisement

Hi all, first post.

Given that I don't have an unlimited data plan, I consider it unwise to download software using my BB and would much prefer to download it onto my computer and then install it by synching. Unfortunately, it seemed that some software (for example, the free games from RIM) needed to be installed over the BB's data connection because they came in JAD files. I fiddled around and discovered quite a long-winded workaround for this. WARNING: don't attempt this unless you are fairly computer-savvy, as there are some unavoidably vague bits where you'll have to work out the way forwards in youir particular case.

1. Find the download link (you may have to do this from your blackberry, in which case you would highlight the download link and get it sent to yourself via e-mail) and decipher the junk to find out what the actual address for the JAD file is. Sometimes you can just open the link from your computer and the JAD file will download automatically.

2. Once you have the JAD file, open it in notepad. Now, I don't know if they are all the same (I have only tried this with the RIM JAD files so far), but I looked for all the filenames in the ALX file which had a .COD extension. Go back to the download folder you got the JAD file (using your computer's browser) and enter the filenames you got from the JAD file to download the CODs for the program.

3. Now that you have the CODs, you will have to manufacture your own ALX file. The easiest way to do this is to find an ALX file from another program and then rename and edit it. The ALX file is just installation instructions telling the BB what the program modules are called and which belong where. If you're lucky (as I may have been with the programs I installed), all of the CODs can be installed at once in the same operation.

4. The ALX file appears to use some sort of tag coding system similar to HTML. If you're familiar with rudimentary HTML, then, this bit should already be obvious. Find one section enclosed by the <application> and </application> tabs and reserve that. Delete the other <application> sections, if there are any. Now enter whatever info you like for the copyright and program name, etc. sections and write the names of the COD files in order one below the other in the <files></files> section.

5. Save, install the ALX using the BB desktop manager and hopefully you're there. Make sure you haven't deleted the <loader></loader> tabs if this doesn't work.

This may not work in some cases where the CODs are difficult to get hold of (though the JAD file should contain fairly self-explanatory URLs) or where the ALX file needs to be more complex, but I never claimed to have all the answers

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Re: Workaround for installing JAD file software

kolosus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    315677A8

Another option is to download the .jar file. Place it on the phone's memory or media card. Open media. Hit the options button. Select explore. Go to the jar file and click on it with the trackball. Go through the prompts and presto!

stronk no está en línea Stack level 1

That only works if the program uses a JAR file to install. AFAIK, JAD and JAR files are different. JAD files only contain download instructions for the program, which means that you could technically download the JAD file and then open it on your BB, but it would just download the program from the internet in the same way it would normally do.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Kolosus' Process will work once you have the jad and ALL the cod files. Just load them All on the media card and follow his process to the jad file.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

dancingqueen no está en línea Stack level 1

hi

"Go back to the download folder you got the JAD file (using your computer's browser) and enter the filenames you got from the JAD file to download the CODs for the program."

I don't understand this part. I opened my .JAD file (that of a theme I like very much) in Notepad, and I could view .COD files all fine but, how do I go about downloading them to my computer and then transfer them to my BB using DTM.. D:

I carry a BB Bold 9700 OS 5.0.
    TQ in advance.