My wife and I both have the 8300. If I send an email from my ... General Blackberry forum

gregski no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2134DA6B

Winmail.dat

Advertisement

My wife and I both have the 8300. If I send an email from my desktop computer to both of us that has jpg attachments, mine will show them as attachments and open them, while hers shows the attachment as a winmail.dat and cannot open them. All of our settings are identical. We both use Empower Pro. Her applications list does show Blackberry Attachment Service. Any ideas?

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    I assume Outlook. Try changing the mail format to Plain Text.
    JerryD

PIN/ID
    2134DA6B
    Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    I assume Outlook. Try changing the mail format to Plain Text.
    Yes, I'm using Outlook. So how does this explain the attachments being received on one Curve but not the other?

Mobile Empire no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    My wife and I both have the 8300. If I send an email from my desktop computer to both of us that has jpg attachments, mine will show them as attachments and open them, while hers shows the attachment as a winmail.dat and cannot open them. All of our settings are identical. We both use Empower Pro. Her applications list does show Blackberry Attachment Service. Any ideas?
    Its actually a setting in the account shes receiving from.

For Example. I had to log into my Sbcglobal account and change receive attachments. Wow can't remember the exact steps. Let me look it up for you to give a for sure step by step with better terminology.

edit: actually my experience was with message fowarding. When I received a message and forwarded with attachments it was putting it in that type of file. But I did log into my account and changed the forwarding options to forward as attachment versus forward as inline text.

I hope at least my information has helped a little
    Last edited by Mobile Empire; 03-11-2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: adding information

bsteenkamp no está en línea Stack level 1
    The attachment is "swallowed" by the winmail.dat file. This is a common problem when sending mail from outlook to a non-outlook client. Changing to plain text will reoslve it.

PIN/ID
    2134DA6B
    Quote Originally Posted by bsteenkamp View Post
    The attachment is "swallowed" by the winmail.dat file. This is a common problem when sending mail from outlook to a non-outlook client. Changing to plain text will reoslve it.
    I really appreciate the responses. I just don't understand the "change to plain text" solution. If that was the case, I wouldn't be able to get the attachments on my phone as well. As it is, I am ABLE to get the attachments on my Curve, but my wife's Curve receives them as winmail.dat. It HAS to be something with her phone, not the method in which the mail was sent, right? Am I missing something that is right in front of my face? I'm gonna reinstall her OS and see what happens.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    Please, don't tell me about how weird Outlook is! I've been using it since 2000 at work, and started using it before that. It's such a great app in a lot of aspects, but I hate it! Settings buried and changing where they are with each release, and heaven's forbid you need to run two different versions at the same time - NIGHTMARE! Yet we all continue to use it!!! I don't know why.
    JerryD

PIN/ID
    2134DA6B
    Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    Please, don't tell me about how weird Outlook is! I've been using it since 2000 at work, and started using it before that. It's such a great app in a lot of aspects, but I hate it! Settings buried and changing where they are with each release, and heaven's forbid you need to run two different versions at the same time - NIGHTMARE! Yet we all continue to use it!!! I don't know why.
    As a test, I installed Thunderbird as my email client and sent an email with a jpg attachment. Both phones received it just fine. I just may dump Outlook. I've been playing with T-Bird all morning and it looks promising. Any downsides to it that anybody can think of?

saukrateaz no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thunderbird is a great application. Its what I currently use. The issue you are havin with your wifes phone is not an issue with the curve, its a setting in her email account that is different than a setting in your email account. Have you checked the options in the email provider that pertain to email forwarding?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    2134DA6B
    Quote Originally Posted by saukrateaz View Post
    Thunderbird is a great application. Its what I currently use. The issue you are havin with your wifes phone is not an issue with the curve, its a setting in her email account that is different than a setting in your email account. Have you checked the options in the email provider that pertain to email forwarding?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I'm not even going to worry about it anymore. I converted both my wife's computers to Thunderbird as well.

saukrateaz no está en línea Stack level 3
    cool, hope everything works out for you.
    "When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."
    -George Washington Carver