Interesting article today on phonescoop about the tech company, Beatnik, creating a new audio format ... General Blackberry forum

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Will RIM support new audio format?

Advertisement

Interesting article today on phonescoop about the tech company, Beatnik, creating a new audio format for mobile devices that will reduce a song up to 10x smaller than an mp3 can by "taking of the song that are used more than once and only including one copy in file - calling up that musical phrase where it is needed after that."

my thoughts:

this could be the answer to many 2g networks for providing better OTA music support, and for us BB users a potential format that will be supported over BIS (and most likely blocked by 99% BES admins) to let us open music right out of emails... and upon switching to 3g, instaneous downloads. press open and you're listening an entire song, start to finish. Imagine a 3rd party music program/site that let you set it to poll from a public server (or private storage) and keep pulling down the next song, basically taking advantage of the onboard memory to hold onto each song until the next bumps it and basically having a limitless source for music on the go (uninterupted).

I am interested to see where this goes in '08! thoughts?

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

Re: Will RIM support new audio format?

Interesting idea. It has alot of potential.

PIN/ID
    spam=no

definitely. a 5mb song brought down to 500kb is pretty impressive. I'm guessing that 10x maximum would be in cases like looping beats, instrumentals, etc.

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

it's an interesting idea. sort of like vector graphics for music. but, as a musician who works with digital audio editing, i have to be skeptical. getting parts lined up properly so there's no skips or dropouts or "audio jaggies" or mismatched cymbal hits normally requires a bit of massaging and a really good ear. i would love to hear some samples. i will bet money that i can pick out the beatnik'ed version every time.
    Last edited by shmengie; 06-07-2007 at 11:24 AM.

PIN/ID
    spam=no

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I mean, look how far mp3's have come in such a short time.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Not a bad idea but I definitely agree with shmengie. Improving a compression algorithm and seamlessly reusing phrases are very different beasts. It will be interesting to see how this pans out but my library is already in one format and I'm not converting it all just to use on my phone -- especially not as storage capacities keep increasing and dropping in cost.

If you want RIM to support it, let them know: bbsuggestions@rim.com.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

It really depends on how much the format catches on, there have been a few formats since mp3, like ogg, and acc but none have replaced mp3. I have to agree with the post above, with media prices dropping and capacities increasing, most aren't going to reformat their collection to a new format.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~