View Poll Results: Will The New 3G iPhone Kill The BlackBerry?

Voters
140. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 10.00%
  • No

86 61.43%
  • Here's What I Think

9 6.43%
  • I Could Care Less About The iPhone

31 22.14%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

The iPhone is definitely a multimedia device that happens to also have a phone, as ... General Blackberry forum

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Advertisement

The iPhone is definitely a multimedia device that happens to also have a phone, as Archer points out. Some may not like Apples advertising or marketing (I find their commercials extremely funny) but you have to admit, they have worked. The number of Apple computers sold since the iPhone has come out has risen dramatically. It is pulling more people into the market.

As far as some of the other "tactics" that they use which others have mentioned, I agree that they appear to be excessive, though they are not hidden from the customer. You have an individual choice to purchase or not.

Love them or hate them, the iPhone is not going anywhere soon. They will improve over time and have a considerable portion of the market. It is up to the consumer to decide where to put their money.
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
    Love them or hate them, the iPhone is not going anywhere soon. They will improve over time and have a considerable portion of the market. It is up to the consumer to decide where to put their money.
    This is exactly how I see it. Speaking for myself, I do not dislike any phone. After all they each have certain advantages. One of the best is the fact that it causes the competiton to think about their product from a different perspective.

And make no mistake about it, no one knows better than both RIM & Apple how different the BOLD & iPhone are.

kilofox no está en línea Stack level 1
    As a BIS/Mac user what gets me excited about the iPhone is MobileMe. For those of you that are on Exchange (and probably not paying for it directly) this is no big deal. However, those of us on BIS and want not only push email, but push contacts, calendar etc etc plus 20GB of storage to boot.. MobileMe is a great value IMO, especially when compared with having to roll my own Exchange. You can get MobileMe on Amazon (labled as .Mac) for $70... thats $5.83 a month. I would pay that in a heartbeat to use on my Curve. As it is now I have to use a hod-podge slew of 3rd party apps that dont come close nor elegantly as MobileMe. If Apple released a button keyboard model, I would have to think long and hard.

I am terribly disappointed that RIM hasnt shown Mac users any love... Apple on the other hand, out of the gate supports Mac and PC.

I hope RIM takes a good hard look at MobileMe .... its more of a "threat" than any hardware that Apple could release. RIM came out with more consumer friendly models with the Curve and Pearl... and I love my Curve. But the backend as non-business user is sorely lacking. Push Email via BIS..... there should be more.. and Apple has brought that to the table at a very affordable price too.
    Last edited by kilofox; 06-14-2008 at 11:14 AM.

rmarkowitz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    My pro/con take on the iPhone versus Blackberry debate.

iPhone Pros:
    + Biggest screen in the game.
    + Innovative GUI. Nice eye candy.
    + 3G offers potentially faster data speeds, in places where 3G is offered. Nice to have if you're up/downloading video or large data files.

iPhone Cons:
    - Closed development environment. Lack of choices in 3rd party application development = fewer application choices for users.
    - Bluetooth restricted to only Apple endorsed Bluetooth devices. Kind of lame to lock down an open standard like that.
    - Memory and battery not user replaceable or upgradeable.
    - Touch screen keyboard slower for serious data entry, emails, sms, instant messaging, etc.
    - Subsidy Lock. Phone can only be used with the company that sold you the phone. Forget about using local SIM cards or other carrier services when travelling overseas. Jailbreak unlocking programs exist but phone upgrades require jailbreaking the phone again and again. Sometimes these jailbreak mods cause the phone to "brick" or become unusable.

Blackberry Pros:
    + Full qwerty keyboard. Better for serious text based communications.
    + Open development environment. More 3rd party applications and customizations to choose from.
    + Memory and battery user upgradeable.
    + Bluetooth compatible with all Bluetooth capable devices. The way open standards are supposed to work.
    + Subsidy unlocks allowed. Allows you to use local SIM cards and services from alternate carriers when travelling overseas.

Blackberry Cons:
    - Smaller screen than iPhone.
    Last edited by rmarkowitz; 06-14-2008 at 08:21 PM.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    i think the size of the bold is great if it were all screen and the the back would slide for keyboard; that'lll solve the problem i think i wouldn't mind a slide bb but i would definetely pull my hair out as most iphone users do when they type 3 letters at a time by mistake on their touchscreen hehehe but that's just me. Slide rather than touchscreen.

PhxBlue no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    NO!
    You guys gotta go check out the iPhone forums. They are all pissed off now about whats been left out with the latest announcement. They are even talking about how we all are hyped about our BB's.

PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    i think the size of the bold is great if it were all screen and the the back would slide for keyboard; that'lll solve the problem i think i wouldn't mind a slide bb but i would definetely pull my hair out as most iphone users do when they type 3 letters at a time by mistake on their touchscreen hehehe but that's just me. Slide rather than touchscreen.
    I totally agree, raton. I would love a slider BB with a larger screen for my aging eyes. One thing about the iPhone is that beautiful screen and internet experience. It's very tempting.

As far as some of the cons of the iPhone that people have pointed out, the only one that keeps me from trying one is the lack of real keyboard, though I have heard from hardcore users that it works pretty well. The lack of third party apps doesn't bother me because it really has most everything I would use. The battery also shouldn't be a big deal as long as it lasts a year or so, the life of most of my phones. I think both RIM and Apple are learning from each other and tweaking their phones based on the other. Time will tell.

PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxBlue View Post
    You guys gotta go check out the iPhone forums. They are all pissed off now about whats been left out with the latest announcement. They are even talking about how we all are hyped about our BB's.
    If you're talking about the iPhone forum here at Pinstack, I wouldn't take too much from it as this is mainly a BB community. Though some may be disappointed about certain features they were hoping would be in this release; they will buy, it will sell, and iPhone 3 will be next.

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Sliders are cool, but I have yet to see one that actually functioned properly as it was intended to do so. Such as the rails getting dirty and adding more friction or becoming to loose.. That would just irritate the hell out of me. I don't know but I choose a device because of the reliability and the sliding out would bug the hell out of me if it went on the fritz..

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    What is every business after? I doubt Microsoft is only in business to help children learn through computing. I doubt Ford or Chevy could care less about making money and only want people to be able to go on Sunday drives in the country. It's all about marketing and how to make a profit.

When Apple went to the big guys in the 70's about the first PC they were developing, they were told "Don't be foolish, people don't want computers in their homes" and were essentially laughed at. Sure, OK. Now that they are in the phone market people are doing it again. I don't want to sound like an Apple fanboy but I don't get it.

What is more tragic is that XEROX essentially had the PC developed at P.A.R.C. before Apple -- and the shortsightedness of its own management ("we are a xerographic Company!") passed it up. I consulted for XEROX for years, and
    got the inside story from people who had lived it.

Had it acted, it might well be now as big as Cisco + Microsoft + Intel Moreover,
    the company culture there was quite different than the one at Microsoft: the entire PC landscape today would have been very very different.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkowitz View Post
    My pro/con take on the iPhone versus Blackberry debate.

iPhone Pros:
    + Biggest screen in the game.
    + Innovative GUI. Nice eye candy.
    + 3G offers potentially faster data speeds, in places where 3G is offered. Nice to have if you're up/downloading video or large data files.

iPhone Cons:
    - Closed development environment. Lack of choices in 3rd party application development = fewer application choices for users.
    - Bluetooth restricted to only Apple endorsed Bluetooth devices. Kind of lame to lock down an open standard like that.
    - Memory and battery not user replaceable or upgradeable.
    - Touch screen keyboard slower for serious data entry, emails, sms, instant messaging, etc.
    - Subsidy Lock. Phone can only be used with the company that sold you the phone. Forget about using local SIM cards or other carrier services when travelling overseas. Jailbreak unlocking programs exist but phone upgrades require jailbreaking the phone again and again. Sometimes these jailbreak mods cause the phone to "brick" or become unusable.

Blackberry Pros:
    + Full qwerty keyboard. Better for serious text based communications.
    + Open development environment. More 3rd party applications and customizations to choose from.
    + Memory and battery user upgradeable.
    + Bluetooth compatible with all Bluetooth capable devices. The way open standards are supposed to work.
    + Subsidy unlocks allowed. Allows you to use local SIM cards and services from alternate carriers when travelling overseas.

Blackberry Cons:
    - Smaller screen than iPhone.

It would be fair to add security as a BB pro. Lots of people appreciate it -- and
    not just business users either.

I think there is a market for both BB and iPhone devices... especially now that the
    latter has left lofty price heights and settled at $199.

PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Quote Originally Posted by gkast1 View Post
    What is more tragic is that XEROX essentially had the PC developed at P.A.R.C. before Apple -- and the shortsightedness of its own management ("we are a xerographic Company!") passed it up. I consulted for XEROX for years, and
    got the inside story from people who had lived it.

Had it acted, it might well be now as big as Cisco + Microsoft + Intel Moreover,
    the company culture there was quite different than the one at Microsoft: the entire PC landscape today would have been very very different.
    I didn't know that and it's very interesting. It takes a special knack to see the future and take chances, especially in technology. I personally love the battles that are going on right now, pushing the envelope for new and exciting features. Who knows where we'll be in 5 years?

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxBlue View Post
    I agree, as I have checked out the iPhone forums & other Apple forums.

What I find with those forums is the incredibly shallow people that unlike this forum, are unable to have a calm rational discussion about the topic at hand. If they are talking about any aspect of the iPhone usually it's mostly about bashing anyone who attempts to question anything. It seems to be more about praising Jobs & the device. It's about being arrogant, superior,"different" & "special".

I particpate in other forums that talk about other topics, from cars, to laptops, to chronograph watches, and none of those forums are as arrogant & juvenile as I find Apple forums. And the frustrating part for me is that _I_use_&_like_ Apple laptops & a few of their other products, yet because of the elitist attitudes & closed minds of the large majority of people on the Apple forums, I've simply given up on participating. It's nothing but a time waster, a truly amazing & frustrating experience.

I just happen to own a couple of Ferrari's and even the Ferrari Owners Forum is populated my decent people like those of us here on Pinstack. Anyone is welcome to join us & talk about the brand & be treated with repect & dignity. If people enter the forum with critical comments they are welcome as we have non judgemental interesting conversations. We do Not attack others, as the Apple people do. After all a Ferrari is just a car and not without it's faults. It's why we enjoy the forum, just as much as I enjoy PinStack!

So, having experienced different forums over a period of years, the fact that the only forum that deals with one of my interests (Apple) is the only one I choose to avoid is very telling isn't it?

via: Red BB 8310

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8
    I personally love the battles that are going on right now, pushing the envelope for new and exciting features. Who knows where we'll be in 5 years?
    I think that we are at the border to something new and no one can answer this question.

Perhaps in five years we have something that we don't need cell phone, fax, eMail and that stuff. Perhaps we all get an implantated chip and all communication will go over there.

Perhaps someone will free us from the Matrix. What color of the pill will you take? The red or the blue one?

Or it will be the same and we meet again in five years for the next round: BB 14000 vs. Apple iPhone VII

We will see and the good thing is that we could be part of it. How exiting. Hope that we meet us on the funny side of the force

My 2ct
    Peter

gorcorps no está en línea Stack level 3
    The iPhone and BBs are different beasts entirely. BBs are more business oriented and will always be choice for those types of people and for company phones. iPhones are for the younger crowd that want the net on the go and an all-in-one type of device. Email and messaging I think is better on the BBs, but after using an iPhone I think their browser implementation is better.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast