View Poll Results: Will The New 3G iPhone Kill The BlackBerry?

Voters
140. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 10.00%
  • No

86 61.43%
  • Here's What I Think

9 6.43%
  • I Could Care Less About The iPhone

31 22.14%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I don't believe either is a threat to the other at the moment. They both ... General Blackberry forum

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Advertisement

I don't believe either is a threat to the other at the moment. They both provide distinctly different concentrated feature sets, though they are slowly taking on more of the others. Both are smart, well established companies and will settle in to their market. It is up to individuals to decide which fits their needs the most. Until the iPhone (if ever) has a physical keyboard, I will stick with BB. I am typing this on a MacBook, which I wouldn't trade for anything, but am not automatically going to desire an iPhone.
    Never wanted to be a simple man...

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
    I will stick with BB. I am typing this on a MacBook, which I wouldn't trade for anything, but am not automatically going to desire an iPhone.
    Kudos to you tgeekb!

A very good post which I completely agree with.

What makes all of this so compelling for me is I too, have a certain fondness for Apple. In my case it's many years as a customer who enjoyed quite a few PowerBooks.

I would really love to be using a MacBook Pro right now, but just emerged from a two week ordeal after purchasing a brand new fully loaded MacBook Pro....only to find out that they have an ongoing serious problem. The Apple store was very helpful & gave me four new MBP's one after another trying to find one that had the ability to stay connected to a Wifi network. No luck. Then to make matters worse, once I learned of the problem, I did a search on Google only to find out they have had this problem for Two Years & Done Nothing To Fix It!
    Thus preventing me from having a new Apple laptop, as I must have the resources that are only offered in the MBP. Anyway this is _NOT_ sour grapes or a rant, just sharing an experience with a fellow Mac Lover, as I remain one myself. Just frustrated that I'm not using one presently.

Back on topic, I'm really excited at the way things are shaping up, as this is a great time in wireless communications history. The present situation promises to be a milestone & one that will shape the future of the industry.

Cheers!
    via: Red BB 8310
    (soon via: Bold)

els718 no está en línea Stack level 2
    people can say what they want....but when the average person walks inside AT&T they'll pick an iPhone over a BB...Yeah BB may control the "business" market, but they were also the leader in that market 5 years ago and not many people aside form those in the "business" market cared for it. This is how i look at it.....Apple will dominate the consumer market, hands down...especially at $199. Then they'll be able to take some of BB "business" market, even if its just a tid bit, to reign supreme. You guys can read alllll the specs and say the BOLD will be better but the average joe could care less about allll that stuff all he sees is how cool the iPhone looks and the price tag and thats it.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quote Originally Posted by els718 View Post
    people can say what they want....but when the average person walks inside AT&T they'll pick an iPhone over a BB...Yeah BB may control the "business" market, but they were also the leader in that market 5 years ago and not many people aside form those in the "business" market cared for it. This is how i look at it.....Apple will dominate the consumer market, hands down...especially at $199. Then they'll be able to take some of BB "business" market, even if its just a tid bit, to reign supreme. You guys can read alllll the specs and say the BOLD will be better but the average joe could care less about allll that stuff all he sees is how cool the iPhone looks and the price tag and thats it.

oooooh Shiny...i must buy it. lol I think people have by now learned that Apple's only after their wallets not their interests. Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me. lol @ people still fighting for rebates from the first iphone. what's the point it says you got suckered all over it lmao silly Apple mongers.

PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Kudos to you tgeekb!

A very good post which I completely agree with.

What makes all of this so compelling for me is I too, have a certain fondness for Apple. In my case it's many years as a customer who enjoyed quite a few PowerBooks.

I would really love to be using a MacBook Pro right now, but just emerged from a two week ordeal after purchasing a brand new fully loaded MacBook Pro....only to find out that they have an ongoing serious problem. The Apple store was very helpful & gave me four new MBP's one after another trying to find one that had the ability to stay connected to a Wifi network. No luck. Then to make matters worse, once I learned of the problem, I did a search on Google only to find out they have had this problem for Two Years & Done Nothing To Fix It!
    Thus preventing me from having a new Apple laptop, as I must have the resources that are only offered in the MBP. Anyway this is _NOT_ sour grapes or a rant, just sharing an experience with a fellow Mac Lover, as I remain one myself. Just frustrated that I'm not using one presently.

Back on topic, I'm really excited at the way things are shaping up, as this is a great time in wireless communications history. The present situation promises to be a milestone & one that will shape the future of the industry.

Cheers!
    Sorry to hear about your problems with the MBP, it's really annoying when those things happen and replacing does nothing. I have has nothing but good luck and count my blessings!

As far as the iPhone/BB thing, I totally agree that we are in an exciting time when it comes to the advancement of this technology. That's why I don't have a problem with most of them, including the iPhone, because even if it's not for me or you, it's helping to develop new and innovative ways of doing things which will benefit us all. People who knock Apple or other companies like them are saying, though they may not realize it, that they are against technology advancing unless it advances how THEY want it to. I say bring on the competition, it's good for the industry. Just my 2 cents.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    <-------totally not against technology. Against the way people scam others as part of their business. The only thing Apple contributed to technology was the touchscreen phone as I can concur with you. The rest was pretty much out there already.

PIN/ID
    2102EF9F
    Quote Originally Posted by raton View Post
    oooooh Shiny...i must buy it. lol I think people have by now learned that Apple's only after their wallets not their interests. Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me. lol @ people still fighting for rebates from the first iphone. what's the point it says you got suckered all over it lmao silly Apple mongers.
    What is every business after? I doubt Microsoft is only in business to help children learn through computing. I doubt Ford or Chevy could care less about making money and only want people to be able to go on Sunday drives in the country. It's all about marketing and how to make a profit.

When Apple went to the big guys in the 70's about the first PC they were developing, they were told "Don't be foolish, people don't want computers in their homes" and were essentially laughed at. Sure, OK. Now that they are in the phone market people are doing it again. I don't want to sound like an Apple fanboy but I don't get it.

els718 no está en línea Stack level 2

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
    What is every business after? I doubt Microsoft is only in business to help children learn through computing. I doubt Ford or Chevy could care less about making money and only want people to be able to go on Sunday drives in the country. It's all about marketing and how to make a profit.

When Apple went to the big guys in the 70's about the first PC they were developing, they were told "Don't be foolish, people don't want computers in their homes" and were essentially laughed at. Sure, OK. Now that they are in the phone market people are doing it again. I don't want to sound like an Apple fanboy but I don't get it.
    *very true

Xorphan no está en línea Stack level 2
    There's a reasonable solution to all this
    "Choice Inspired Lingo"

I have both, paid for the first generation iPhone to have it shipped to Canada, and have both a BlackBerry Pearl and 8800...

I've given the Pearl to a friend and the 8800 will be a spare when the BolD makes it's debut.

Its simple really the best and worst of both worlds, thing is I'm not nearly impressed enough to purchase the new 3G iPhone *Cough*, I will however use the old iPhone as a Media Centric device primarily keeping the music in my car up with the times... lol, I may use it as my phone line while using the new BolD as my data driven device.

anyone else have this opportunity it might be the best, as I said before, of both worlds.

Moreover; it will definitely be interesting to see what the price point will be for RIM's new BolD, for evidence of aggressively trying to counter apple's iPhone price point.

My guess is a 299.99 to 345.99 starting point,
    on the simplest of premises, Rim's BlackBerry primarily targets business users, and bowing down to apple's price point could back fire, significantly undervaluing future smartphone models for RIM.

What's your guess?
    Last edited by Xorphan; 06-14-2008 at 01:00 AM.
    http://xorphan-design.com
    creativity in colour / design in mind

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4
    Lmao!
    I just cant understand why people who dont know a Blackberry would talk about it.
    If you know the blackberry, you will not dare compare it to no IPhone, 3G or NOT, regardless of wich is "better" at whatever task, they are NOT comparable.....

PhxBlue no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    NO!
    Apple disappoints me. Awesome computers and such but when it comes to their iPhone its smoke and mirrors. I just sold my iPhone due to my disgust with their lack of standard programs that are present on EVERY other phone outthere. Plus my BB just seems more solid and stable.

icaro2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    One of my family members has the 1st gen iPhone. I thought it was pretty neat at first, that is, until I got my pearl 8120. Now the iphone just seems like a gimick or a toy to me. I doubt the iphone will be as reliable as my 8120 a year or 2 from now. I am not a business user. I am more of a consumer (for now), and I find the 8120 incredibly useful. After owning it for about a month, I can't imagine needing anything or wanting anything other than a BB.

I have owned a power mac, and an ibook, and I think apple makes a great computer. I have since sold the power mac, and I gave the ibook to my girlfriend. I am now back on the PC (custom built clevo/sager power laptop), and to tell the truth, I am glad to be back. The apple advertising, and marketing campaign really turns me off to no ends. I will use apple again in the future if I need it for a graphic designing job because of its reliability and seamless integration with windows and the adobe programs.

I feel like Apple is genius at scamming their customers with extended warranties and simple hardware add-ons like keyboards, mouse, etc.. I also feel like the iPhone is another product developed by Apple's genius marketing scammers.

DataCentre no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    208759D5
    Have you ever tried to type a long-winded email on an iPhone or iPod Touch. Takes forever with all the constant mistakes. Damn...I can type pretty fast on my BB, and I've had my iPod Touch longer than my BB. And I use my Touch for listening to music and watching movies, so if that were an iPhone, I'd just be sucking away at my battery leaving nothing left for when I actually need to make phone calls.

I'll just stick with my BB and iPod Touch. iPhone is too over-rated.

First I will say that this thread has developed into a very good discussion on a wide variety of points. Each of you that has posted do indeed make some very good arguments to be appreciated. So far what I'm taking away from this thread, is regardless of what or indivual positions are, most of us seem to be in agreement that we find Apples marketing practices unacceptable. For me, this is very encouraging as that is certainly how I feel, and I hope Apple gets the message. For them or against them, Apple does not need to resort to such low level attack advertising. Nor do they need to display their arrogance.

Competition is the motivator of innovation. So even if the iPhone & BlackBerry are not direct competitors in our eyes (we enthusiasts) that's OK, as the level of awareness is being increased within the general public. This is a very positive result. It gets people talking. It brings people into the smartphone arena, and it sells more phones. All of which is very beneficial for us.

Cheers
    (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by DataCentre View Post
    Have you ever tried to type a long-winded email on an iPhone or iPod Touch. Takes forever with all the constant mistakes. Damn...I can type pretty fast on my BB, and I've had my iPod Touch longer than my BB. And I use my Touch for listening to music and watching movies, so if that were an iPhone, I'd just be sucking away at my battery leaving nothing left for when I actually need to make phone calls.

I'll just stick with my BB and iPod Touch. iPhone is too over-rated.
    Great post DataCentre!

You are right on point here. I agree with your assessment and have often thought that having a combination of an iTouch & BB to be a great combination. Especially since I too, view the iPhone as an entertainment device that just happens to include a phone. By making the choices you have, one can enjoy the features of an iPhone for entertainment, without having to sign another contract for services. Thus saving a tremendous amount of money. Money better spent on a BlackBerry.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast