View Poll Results: Will The New 3G iPhone Kill The BlackBerry?

Voters
140. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 10.00%
  • No

86 61.43%
  • Here's What I Think

9 6.43%
  • I Could Care Less About The iPhone

31 22.14%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

They both are good for what they do, and they are perfect companion for many ... General Blackberry forum

penpower no está en línea Stack level 3

Advertisement

They both are good for what they do, and they are perfect companion for many people who like to have BB for business and iphone for entertainments. I will get both iphone and bold if my fan allows. Apple can't deny that RIM's email solution is the superior; and RIM has a lot to catch up in the area of UI and internet browsing experience.
    Last edited by penpower; 06-10-2008 at 05:33 AM.

nastyboy2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    the iphone is too restrictive. you can customize the blackberry with many free apps and load your own tones and videos. you'll get the iphone at a great price, but here's what you wont get:

What's missing?
    Unfortunately, we hoped for an even larger bundle of features in this round. Apple still leaves multimedia messaging out of the mix along with voice dialing and video recording. We still don't understand why Apple can't include these basic features, many found in even the cheapest and simplest cell phones. We were also hoping for a landscape keyboard, the capability to cut and paste, Flash support for the Safari Web browser, expanded memory, and additional Bluetooth profiles. Apple, you left us hanging in a big way. It's also disappointing to hear that the dock is now sold separately for $49, but we suppose that helped cut the price. No, you don't need the dock, but it's nice to have. Even the power adapter and the SIM card removal tool that now come in the box won't make up for its loss.

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post

"Apple may have killed the BlackBerry"

*ROFL*
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery

cpk3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I voted.. Could Careless...

The whole fact that you can't buy an iPhone now with out an At&t contract, and that Apple will control the development of apps via iTunes... Will lead to less 3rd party innovation.

The 3rd party innovation is what drives the Blackberry to the front, and will keep it there for a long time. Allow Plazmic and MDS studio to be public domain and let people tinker and customize their Blackberrys is a huge plus... Puts the control of what can be done on the device in the consumers hands.

vel4769 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Here's what I think.
    If RIM continues creating new, innovative products and addressing customers needs as it has in the past. The company will continue being the leader. I can't see why both companies can't coexist. Now for those that say Apple will never surpass RIM in sales and customer satisfaction should never say never. Just look at the video gaming market. Sony dominated the market and thought their hold on the market was solid as a rock. Then came Nintendo with the Wii and beat the pants off Sony's PS3. PS3 maybe better gaming machine than wii; but the wii appealed to more people and cost way less. In addition Nintendo got high marks for customer satisfaction. So the best product doesn't always necessarily win. I understand gaming machines and smart devices are different but no company can afford to take the customer for granted. I truly believe RIM will be just fine.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by manapuaman View Post
    Apple on the other hand had bad reception but fixed it. Bad battery life. Fixed it. No 3G fixed that. No multiple sms. Fixed it. It's not perfect but they seem to respond to issues much faster than any other company.

While I respect your position here, and I'm not arguing or being critical of your post, here is my take.

Apple was not listening & respnding to their customers one bit. They actually take a position (internally) of contempt for many of their loyal customers which Apple feels are too demanding, who expect contemporary devices. As a long time Apple customer I am very familiar with their tactics.

It's no secret that Apple rushed the iPhone to market with easy to implement old cheap technology cloaked in hype. They made a public annoucement that they were going to delay the already announced release date of their new OS Leopard, and move those engineers over to the iPhone division. So as to push the unfinshed iPhone out. They purposely included the older & cheaper EDGE when every other new model by other mfgs was being released with 3G. They shipped it with a sub standard phone so as to leave room for more profit taking. They purposely left out cut & paste as that was too complex for them to deal with, and the short life captive non-user replaceable battery was another sure way to reap huge profits.

As far as speed of responding to customers they remain in last place not only with the iPhone but in every other product category.

Here is a well documented example that I have personally experienced, along with the lies they tell the customer.

Just three weeks ago I entered my local Apple store, to purchase a new MacBook Pro. I specifically asked to work with the manager. He was very courteous & listened to my list of needs & how I would be using it.

Top of the list and the very most critical function I required is WiFi, or Airport as Apple calls it. I use it everywhere I travel on business, plus at home & in the office. No problem was his response, we have the finest strongest WiFi he said, after all this is an Apple (arrogance, not surprizingly).

I wrote a check for well over 3k as I bought top of the line. Proceeded on with my work day, only to find that it did indeed have WiFi but would not establish a continuos connection with the network, and dropped connections after only seconds.

Carrying a second laptop at the time I pulled out my three year old ThinkPad which connected, performed well and got the job done. Four tries later on four different networks the MacBook Pro was useless. I took it back & they happily gave me a new one.

Same problem. I exchanged it again and again at their insistence I simply got a few "bad ones". Two weeks of wasted time. Last ditch effort, call Apple tech support. Oh yes, we are aware of it. Silence. So I ask the question they did not address_ are you working on it? Silence, then a feeble bit of double talk. No assurance that ot was a priority or would be addressed. I then Google it, only to find it to be an ongoing issue of OVER TWO YEARS!

Yeah Apple certainly does respond.....

End result, a very appologetic store manager who waives their carved in stone 10% restocking fee & refunded my money.

What a waste of two weeks believing the lies.

Apple....changing the world one customer at at a time...as their slogan once proclaimed.

Buy the first iPhone & bear the pain as Jobs slits your throat while slashing the price $200. Then while you are stuck with the relic, enjoy yesterdays announcement that the new faster, better model is yours for less than you paid to be a test lemming.

Watch as Uncle Steve stuffs his pockets with _your money_

vel4769 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Interesting story. Thanks for info. RIM rules for me anyway. I just have to wait a little longer than others for the BOLD appearance on TMO.......

manapuaman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f011d6
    Interesting story indeed.

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Well I absolutely LOVE my Blackberry but I also use my Macbook Pro religiously and love it. I have had it more than a year and have never had a problem with connectivity or any other function. Sorry to hear you did.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Don LuiG View Post
    once the iphone goes on sale yeah customers are excited bout but when they hear all "THE LITTLE FINE PRINTS" they won't be too happy
    Exactly my thoughts.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

Lodingi no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    i will say one thing, those price tags are making the iphone look really good to me i may have to cheat a little on my curve
    I thought the same. Today I read that Apple/ATT has increased the monthly price for their service plan by $10 per month. This is to compensate for the iPhone price reduction.

They drop the price of the iPhone by $200, then charge you $240 per year in extra fees. That makes the $199 phone cost $479 over 2 years. That cured my indiscretion. RIM, please forgive me.
    Last edited by Lodingi; 06-11-2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Apparently I can't add. Lol.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Maybe the pearl should be a free gift witht he purchase of an Iphone to please both parties rofl

tbhuang2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    The only reason (and it's a big reason) I would choose iPhone over BB is because of its superior email syncing capabilities. Seriously, come on RIM. POP3 (for something as popular as Gmail) is kind of pathetic.
    Oh yeah, and their browser pwns ours. Usability is everything. Enough said.

nastyboy2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhuang2 View Post
    The only reason (and it's a big reason) I would choose iPhone over BB is because of its superior email syncing capabilities. Seriously, come on RIM. POP3 (for something as popular as Gmail) is kind of pathetic.
    Oh yeah, and their browser pwns ours. Usability is everything. Enough said.
    the iPhone's Safari Web browser requires you to zoom in and out to view text and images on Web pages, you'll need both hands for that funky pinch in and out motion. Not so with the BlackBerry Browser, which optimizes most pages for your device's screen and lets you scroll down by simply clicking your keyboard's space bar.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjoedotcom View Post
    Its still interesting to me the overall comparison between the two. I have to shake my head and wonder why people think the way they do.

Do I think Apple could ruin BlackBerrys business?! Not a chance.

But for me its BlackBerry! Ohs yes!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Great Post nickjoedotcom!

You brought up many good points & I enjoyed reading them all.

One that stands out as pivotal in my opinion is price. This is a huge challenge for any manufacturer of products. Especially when they have a product as both RIM & Apple do, that is designed not only to be their flagship model, but also affordable enough to appeal to new customers that might otherwise not try the product.

This is where RIM has a distinct advantage. Even though we do not know what the price of the BOLD is as of this writing, RIM offers a variety of models & prices. Each of these offer the customer who may not be able to afford the BOLD, an opportunity to own & experience a BlackBerry. In addition, for those where price point is only one aspect of the decision, RIM has the advantage of proven models of different shapes, sizes, and colors.

I'm feeling very good about RIM's position in the marketplace & believe that the best aspect of the iPhone is all the extra attention it brings to our well established, much loved BlackBerrys!

via: Red BB 8310
    (soon via: Bold)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast