Hi, I'm sort of a newbie and I am confused. I guess I really don't ... General Blackberry forum

adina457 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

wifi vs. gps

Advertisement

Hi, I'm sort of a newbie and I am confused. I guess I really don't know or understand the difference between wifi and gps. I am with t-mo and have a pearl but thinking of upgrading to the curve (which is wifi?) what will this do or change for me? Someone, help!

icancn2u no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: wifi vs. gps

Wifi will allow you to surf the web in areas that have a wifi internet signal, rather than using your carries data network. GPS, is used for such things as satellite navigation and geocaching etc.

Eldeano no está en línea Stack level 3

My opinion is that if you have an unlimited data plan, then you really don't need WiFi. GPS could be fun, but being a man, I never get lost (please don't tell my wife I said that)!

cabron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Quote Originally Posted by Eldeano View Post
    My opinion is that if you have an unlimited data plan, then you really don't need WiFi. GPS could be fun, but being a man, I never get lost (please don't tell my wife I said that)!
    Adina457 I believe is a woman as well just like your wife.......
    On the other hand, actually WIFI is pretty nice to have even if you have an unlimited data plan, with wifi you can navigate faster, plus some things seem to work better on the wifi browser than in the bb internet browser.
    I highly recommend WIFI to everyone, specially TMO users than can take advantage of the @home service.
    Too bad I dont get TMO coverage.

docholliday no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317AFEB6

Until a 3G GSM BB is released, I see an advantage to having wifi. With EVDO, however...

silverzz28 no está en línea Stack level 1

The wifi is coming soon in the next bb.

PIN/ID
    2466A9E4

Quote Originally Posted by silverzz28 View Post
    The wifi is coming soon in the next bb.
    8820 and 8320 already have WIFI...........
    I think even the new pearl has it? not sure tough

gameboy213 no está en línea Stack level 3

Sprint EVDO is plenty fast enough for me for everything...... and GPS is killer once you have it...

rdg20 no está en línea Stack level 1

My home is a dead zone for cell phone reception - go a block in any direction and the signal is very strong. I've tried both Cingular and T-Mobile but my cell phone only worked about 25% of the time at home. I got the 8320 and, using my home wifi network, I can use my cell phone 100% of the time. This was important for me - your mileage may vary.

j0hn00 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242066D4

My home is a dead zone for cell phone reception - go a block in any direction and the signal is very strong.
    ditto. didn't think i'd use the wifi feature at all, but now i'm considering disconnecting my home phone... which i got because i had no cell reception at home.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

It will depend on if you surf alot, travel alot, or talk alot, and what carrier you are using. To those on, AT$T, I could see where the Wi-fi wouldn't be very useful, but for those on TMO, it can be a godsend, as you can get unlimited calling for a small extra fee or at least you can get the extra signal strength, by using a router and the internet (or a nearby hotspot), instead of relying on the nearest cell tower for your signal (and you can always get a BT GPS puck for added GPS service, but yes it is one more thing to carry around). You need to weigh you needs and base your deceision on that. If you are with AT$T and not thinking of leaving, I would probably recommend the 8310 as you won't gain much with the 8320 (unless you just want to drop the data plan and use only wi-fi which is a possibility, but we all know what a BB without the plan is).

PIN/ID
    2466A9E4
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    If you are with AT$T and not thinking of leaving, I would probably recommend the 8310 as you won't gain much with the 8320 (unless you just want to drop the data plan and use only wi-fi which is a possibility, but we all know what a BB without the plan is).
    I think you made a mistake here with the model numbers, 8320 isn't an ATT model.You probably meant to say the 8820.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Nope, I got the numbers correct, because if you reread the question the OP was asking specifically about the curve and wanted to know about wi-fi versus GPS and what each would gain, hence the reason for the 8320 (I said if OP was with AT$T because the UMA wouldn't function as some think they can buy an unlocked 8320 and make wi-fi calls using it if they are with AT$T). You would be correct otherwise, but I wanted to clarify so that they didn't buy an 8320 for wi-fi calling on AT$T (we already know there is no wi-fi valling on the 8820 at all, well at least not yet until the service books to enable UMA show up... if ever).

benritmeyer no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by cabron View Post
    8820 and 8320 already have WIFI...........
    I think even the new pearl has it? not sure tough
    It does because I'm on one at the moment