I just got a new wireless router at my house. on my old router I ... General Blackberry forum

beav626 no está en línea Stack level 3

WIFI Question

Advertisement

I just got a new wireless router at my house. on my old router I had UMA service in my house now I do not.

my phone connects to the network with no problems but I can not get the same UMA... What gives?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    You may need some router adjustments like increasing the power setting, trying different channels, etc. It's sometimes a trial and error method until you get the settings right. There's a thread with lots of info in it. I'll look and post it if I can locate it.

UPDATE: Sorry I've lost track of it. Anyway, provided your wireless works on you p-c, most of the time, the problem with your phone is either settings (ruled that out because you had it working on that phone) or signal, channel or noise on the phone line (also ruled that out but might be worth checking later.) All that in my experience dealing with UMA issues in the past. Good luck.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 01-09-2009 at 11:06 AM.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

jonboywhite no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    247cf041
    I have had that problem for a while! UMA works for a little while then it goes straight to SOS! Even if I'm in front of my router! A battery pull works for me but it gets old when your doing it every 2 hours! Very frustrating and I get zero t-mo coverage at my house! If anyone knows how to fix this it would be great! I think my router is a linksys wrt54g!

Beav and Jonboy, I FINALLY found the thread that I was looking for here. It's a long one - my particular episode begins at post #80 and ends around #92. There's a lot of info in the thread re: different users having the same problems you are now. I hope that helps. It's been a while since I tackled this problem - that's why I'm referring you to the thread.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

I got it figured out...

under wireless security settings make sure you have WPA2 selected and all will be good

Quote Originally Posted by beav626 View Post
    I got it figured out...

under wireless security settings make sure you have WPA2 selected and all will be good
    That was easy! Glad you got it worked out.

Other users with this (wi-fi) problem be aware that that setting (WPA2) applies to beav626's router and the type of security/encryption it is set up to use. There are other types including the older WEP so this solution will not necessarily apply for others with wi-fi problems. This is one of SEVERAL solutions to why your wi-fi may not be working.

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    That was easy! Glad you got it worked out.

Other users with this (wi-fi) problem be aware that that setting (WPA2) applies to beav626's router and the type of security/encryption it is set up to use. There are other types including the older WEP so this solution will not necessarily apply for others with wi-fi problems. This is one of SEVERAL solutions to why your wi-fi may not be working.

Easy----I was working for 2 hours on this last night. I called TMOB first and they were clueless, called Netgear (Router folks) They tried but had no idea either. I played with every setting on there until I finally changed my security type and that worked...

I am glad I got it fixed.

as for the fix-results may vary from user to user, but you are right one more fix to add to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by beav626 View Post
    Easy----I was working for 2 hours on this last night. I called TMOB first and they were clueless, called Netgear (Router folks) They tried but had no idea either. I played with every setting on there until I finally changed my security type and that worked...

I am glad I got it fixed.

as for the fix-results may vary from user to user, but you are right one more fix to add to the list.
    Sorry! Didn't mean to imply that you didn't spend some time at it. I was mostly surprised at the fix.

Many of us spent weeks of frustration with dropped wi-fi links, over and over. You know the frustration as well as we do - including time on the phone with various support groups, making trial and error changes, guessing at one thing or another, etc.

My fix was an easy one too, once I determined what it was...but it nearly always takes too much time that we'd rather spend doing something else. Anyway, glad you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Sorry! Didn't mean to imply that you didn't spend some time at it. I was mostly surprised at the fix.

Many of us spent weeks of frustration with dropped wi-fi links, over and over. You know the frustration as well as we do - including time on the phone with various support groups, making trial and error changes, guessing at one thing or another, etc.

My fix was an easy one too, once I determined what it was...but it nearly always takes too much time that we'd rather spend doing something else. Anyway, glad you got it.

No Prob...I guess relatively my time was short and frustrating when I realized how easy the fix was. Wish I would have checked there first.