Sitting on a flight using onboard Wifi with my 8320! Wasn't sure if the Blackberry ... General Blackberry forum

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3

Wifi on a plane!

Advertisement

Sitting on a flight using onboard Wifi with my 8320!

Wasn't sure if the Blackberry services would work because we have to pipe through American's gogo service. But it works - getting my emails and even using BBM with a friend!
    BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5
    We've come a long way!

pltaylor no está en línea Stack level 2
    Expiration Date: August 31, 2009 Email to a Friend

Free Wi-Fi On Major U.S. Airline Now Thru August 31, 2009 We Have Special Promotion Code. We have a special one time use savings coupon code for anyone flying now thru August 31, 2009.
    We can get you free WiFi with our special promotion code. This is a special promotion from gogoinflight.com.
    The normal rate for logging on wireless usually depends on flight duration and ranges from $12.99 to $9.99 for laptops, and $7.99 for mobile devices such as iPhone, G1, and BlackBerry.
    While on board, select the Gogoinflight network on your computer. Next, go to a (any) website to get to the gogoinflight page. Create a new account with gogoinflight.com. When you arrive on the payment page, enter the promotional code: 159flt3161

Once you have entered the code you will have free wifi while you are in-flight."

This was $7.95 for the flight on the Blackberry. I think I did see something like $12.99 for laptops if the flight was over a certain length.

SGZrazberry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Just ask
    Holy! What next? Snakes on a plane?...ok sorry couldn't resist!
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.282 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

raeford no está en línea Stack level 2
    Not that I think it should be free, but $7.95!? I think that's a little steep...especially when most of the flights I take are less than 2 hours.

Yeah, it seems high when you think about it like that. The way air travel is going though regarding add on costs, it seems par for the course. e.g., no more meals. On my flight they wanted $10 for a sandwich and chips, $3 for a cookie (!), $6 for alcoholic beverages, and $15 for a checked bag. Compared to that, $7.95 for my 4 hour flight to keep me occupied didn't seem THAT bad!

I think they said the laptop cost was lower if the flight was shorter. Smartphone/Blackberry cost was $7.95 no matter the length.

One thing that confused me: from what I heard, using a BB over WiFi without a data plan, which I was essentially doing - would not let me access things like push email, BBM, etc. However, I was able to do that just fine.

Was it because I'm with T-Mobile and when I hooked up to WiFi, it switched over to UMA (it did show UMA, although I wasn't sure if that's just the default when connected with WiFi)? Essentially using my "data plan" even though it was going through WiFi? Assuming that's the case, would it be necessary, and is it even possible, to turn that part of it off? The gogo service claimed it would not allow any VOIP, etc., but maybe the UMA would override that.