Maybe a dumb question but I've only unlocked phones foe the purpose of running third ... General Blackberry forum

exile211 no está en línea Stack level 2

why unlock a blackberry?

Advertisement

Maybe a dumb question but I've only unlocked phones foe the purpose of running third party apps. What benefits would I get from unlocking a tmobile 8320.

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    You don't need to unlock a phone to use third party apps. You unlock a phone when you want to use another carriers network. Eg. Switching from AT&T to Rogers.

exile211 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Well the reason I unlocked my old phone was to open the os. Two completly different unlocks. So can I just get a data package from another company because I'm pretty sure I chose the worst company for that, or are these people getting two full bills from both companies.

natesax7 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244d259a
    You would only use a different company, after unlocking, if you were switching carriers completely.

One of the most common reasons to unlock a phone is to use a prepaid service while roaming internationally. Europe has cheap prepaid sim cards you can buy to make and recieve calls when there. It beats what you would pay by using your US service while in europe. ( rate plan+blackberry plan+ per minute charge+ per megabyte charge+ Voicemail access charge.....etc.)

There wouldn't be any point to having, for example, Tmobile and att service for the same phone. They basically offer the same services with minor differences.

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Tmobile is cheaper as where att has better coverage.
    either way i didnt even know you could hve data from 1 company and voice from another on the same phone ... .. . .. .

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    You can't have data from one and voice from another. Your phone won't work like that. (at least here in the US) .... People unlock so that for example, people with TMO can have ATT's 8310 and have GPS or people from ATT can get TMO's 8320 and have wifi.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    This has been pretty well covered, but one more point -- the resale value of your phone is slightly higher if it's unlocked.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    Well i know about the Having ATT and using another OS. ..i've known about that, but i also knew that you couldnt have voice from 1 and data from another carrier. that wasnt my question but thats how the topic starter is making it sound.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by TorturedNacho View Post
    Tmobile is cheaper as where att has better coverage.
    either way i didnt even know you could hve data from 1 company and voice from another on the same phone ... .. . .. .
    Quote Originally Posted by TorturedNacho View Post
    Well i know about the Having ATT and using another OS. ..i've known about that, but i also knew that you couldnt have voice from 1 and data from another carrier. that wasnt my question but thats how the topic starter is making it sound.
    Tortured,

Just to set the record straight, I don't know what you mean here but you're the one contradicting yourself - look at your 2 posts. Whoever you are referring to as the the "topic starter" isn't making it sound that way. (No offense intended BTW)
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I always unlock the phones I get so when I get rid of them down the road, I have a wider array of people that can actually ise them. Plus if its a newer phone you can get top dollar for unlocked phones in some cases.

But if you don't ever plan on switching carriers or selling your phone don't worry bout it

codedft no está en línea Stack level 2
    How do I know if my blackberry is locked?

natesax7 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244d259a
    Quote Originally Posted by codedft View Post
    How do I know if my blackberry is locked?
    If you purchased your phone directly from the carrier it would be locked until you went through the process of unlocking it.

Most carriers require you to have had service with them for at least 90 days before you can ask for an unlock code. It's usually very easy to do and you recieve instruction