I always see discussion relating to having threaded SMS on BlackBerry and how everyone wants ... General Blackberry forum

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Question Why threaded SMS for BlackBerry?

Advertisement

I always see discussion relating to having threaded SMS on BlackBerry and how everyone wants it. Now recently I saw the news of an application that will do just that.

Now I am just curious, what's the WHY to threaded SMS? Why would I want it? What makes it a good feature?

g_patrick15 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2435646F
    It helps managing conversations better. I use a G1 right now, but had a curve in the past and will be getting the 9700 when its released, and the text message app on the g1 is better in a way. The blackberry style messaging is kinda threaded, but they should really do it full on. While no one should consider it a deal breaker, its a bigger deal nowadays than in the past because every major os features it.

PIN/ID
    ASK
    You say helps managing conversations better, but how so?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    It groups all messages from one person together. Like an instant messenger conversation.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

PIN/ID
    ASK
    I thought it might be something like that. What I don't understand then, why don't we just use an instant messenger then? Or email? That's the purposes of those forms of communication.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Not everyone uses those on their phones. I have friends and family without smartphones who I text regularly and threaded sms makes for a much tidier sms folder
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I don't like the threaded sms but I can understand why others do. Az have you noticed in BBM 5.0 you can add sms contacts and it will come through the BBM? I am not sure about emails but I know the SMS will.

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Not everyone uses those on their phones. I have friends and family without smartphones who I text regularly and threaded sms makes for a much tidier sms folder
    Oh okay I can see how it would be beneficial to people with regular phones. Makes sense I guess (although they should be getting smart phones ).

Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    I don't like the threaded sms but I can understand why others do. Az have you noticed in BBM 5.0 you can add sms contacts and it will come through the BBM? I am not sure about emails but I know the SMS will.
    Really? BBM 5.0 does that? I have been using it without knowing that hmm. Nice to know thanks.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaricanese View Post
    Really? BBM 5.0 does that? I have been using it without knowing that hmm. Nice to know thanks.
    LOL, Yes really I have my kids added. Just go to invite contact and it will say add contact's name or phone number. I am pretty sure they have to be in your contacts but when they text you it pops up in BBM and not the text/MMS folder. I love it!

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    LOL, Yes really I have my kids added. Just go to invite contact and it will say add contact's name or phone number. I am pretty sure they have to be in your contacts but when they text you it pops up in BBM and not the text/MMS folder. I love it!
    I don't have that option, maybe have to be on OS 5?? I invite contact and can invite by email, PIN, or name. When I select a name from my contacts it doesn't show their phone number as an option...only email address
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    I don't have that option, maybe have to be on OS 5?? I invite contact and can invite by email, PIN, or name. When I select a name from my contacts it doesn't show their phone number as an option...only email address
    That might be what it is becaause running 5.0 and BBM 5.0 it works great and is a really cool option. I will try and remember in the morning and post a screen shot so you can see the options I have.

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Hmm I add my contacts to BBM but now that I think about it, everyone who I BBM with, I never have texted with before lol. That might be why. And now I text through Google Voice. Still that is deff a crazy cool feature I think.

getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    That might be what it is becaause running 5.0 and BBM 5.0 it works great and is a really cool option. I will try and remember in the morning and post a screen shot so you can see the options I have.
    And on a little side note, the leaked .323 is supposed to be going live this week for many devices other than just the Storm 2. That's what I've been waiting on too. I didn't want to mess up my Storm any more than normal with a leaked OS lol. But you would already kniw this Modern, it was your post lol.

http://forums.pinstack.com/f227/blackberry_os_5_0_to_be_released_for_existing_devi ces_starting_this_week-115248/

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    The threaded SMS is a take or leave it for me. I use email or BBM waay more then SMS and since I use Google Voice for my SMS which Google forwards through GMail, it's almost useless to me. I would much rather have the tabbed browsing RIM teased us with in previous leaks then the threaded SMS.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS