Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi, Some one must know. Why only 64mb? I keep running out of memory on ... General Blackberry forum

jmelhuish no está en línea Stack level 1

Why only 64mb?

Advertisement

Hi, Some one must know. Why only 64mb? I keep running out of memory on my 8110 and I thought why do BB sell there phones with only 64mb when you can now get memory very cheaply nowadays. Can anyone answer this?

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    do you save your pics on the phones internal memory if so need to go out and buy a external memory card to store pics there. One pic can take up quite abit of space

Yes I have a 2mb card with all the pics and music. I only have miutues as an extra on the phone. I just get alot of emails and calls and 64mb just does not seem to be enough.

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Other than miutunes it is a standard out the box phone.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by jmelhuish View Post
    Hi, Some one must know. Why only 64mb?
    There are a couple of reasons I can think of.

1) 64MB was doing the job very nicely until this last round of new decides like th Pearl, Curve & 8888. Why RIM did not increase then was purely a matter of cost as increasing the ram would had driven up the price of the BB which would have cost them some customers.

2) RIM decided to wait until ram prices came down & they were ready to bring the Bold to market which
    Has a lot of memory.

via: Red BB 8310

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    There are a couple of reasons I can think of.

1) 64MB was doing the job very nicely until this last round of new decides like th Pearl, Curve & 8888. Why RIM did not increase then was purely a matter of cost as increasing the ram would had driven up the price of the BB which would have cost them some customers.
    Good thought, but it's Flash, not Ram in a Berry - BlackBerry's major customers are businesses that buy a lot of handhelds for business purposes, and the devices really are not designed for anything other than business use. Even the newer handhelds (Pearl and newer) with cameras etc. that are marketed more towards individual users are, at their heart, business devices. As business devices (push email and PIM) 64 megs is a lot of memory. Even the 16mb in the o-l-d 7230 and 6230 type handhelds is sufficient. When 64mb becomes small is when a lot of pictures and especially mp3s and ringtones are added - Hopefully the Bold and (my dream phone) the SureType KickStart will be well designed for multimedia applications! For what the Blackberry OS is really designed to do, 64 is quite enough.

Natox no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24207E4A
    Just a question regarding memory, is there an aplication that will enable you to keep your contacts , emails and tex /mms messages on your memory cards instead of the dev itself ?

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Back when blackberrie had 32Meg I asked RIM why they weren't going straight to a gig instead of just raising it to 64Meg. I never got a good response and have run out of memory on my 2Meg unit(monochrome), my 32 meg unit, and my 64 meg unit. My latest has 96 meg and in the few short weeks I've had it I have been gunshy to load it up. The new still unreleased Bold only has 128 meg. Sigh.

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    64mb? How come my brand new 8110 shows file total 58,195,968 bytes?

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    I think what the original question is getting at is why the low memory? And that has been answered. Because the phones are geared towards business use. Of course the problem with that now is the mass appeal that the Pearl and Curve have to the consumer market. And what people are finding is the phone won't stop you from using it inappropriately. I think the Bold will be a step in the right direction to keep both sides happy while doing what its supposed to be doing. So we shall see! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Excellent post, just what I would have said and right on the money. It'll be nice when more then 64mb is standard but for the primary targetted audiance 64mb is still just fine. If you want to use your bb as more of a multimedia device then pick up a 1-8gb micro sd card, that's what the option's there for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Good thought, but it's Flash, not Ram in a Berry - BlackBerry's major customers are businesses that buy a lot of handhelds for business purposes, and the devices really are not designed for anything other than business use. Even the newer handhelds (Pearl and newer) with cameras etc. that are marketed more towards individual users are, at their heart, business devices. As business devices (push email and PIM) 64 megs is a lot of memory. Even the 16mb in the o-l-d 7230 and 6230 type handhelds is sufficient. When 64mb becomes small is when a lot of pictures and especially mp3s and ringtones are added - Hopefully the Bold and (my dream phone) the SureType KickStart will be well designed for multimedia applications! For what the Blackberry OS is really designed to do, 64 is quite enough.

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB
    I tend to think that it's not just a matter of cost of storage (flash memory), but the ability of the OS to address that memory. There may be backwards compatibility issues or limitations of the current OS's which deter an OS to operate on BB's with differing amounts of memory.

Granted, that is only my theory but that theory is offset by the fact that each model BB has it's own specific OS. So they should be able to write OS's that can address different amounts of memory, depending on the model. However, the various OS's between models may share common / core modules which may include the memory addressing functions.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

natesax7 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244d259a
    Quote Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
    64mb? How come my brand new 8110 shows file total 58,195,968 bytes?

The device has 64mb, then you subtract what the O/S uses and you'll get a lower number listed than 64mb. The number everyone is concerned with is file free. When file free gets low, the phone stops functioning as it should

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Yup, but still 64 should be enough as contacts take as muc as 200 kbs full! So I think it should be good!

*drunk post*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast