Right where I'm coming from is a palm, which when I got it came with ... General Blackberry forum

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack

Why do blackberries come with next to no software?

Advertisement

Right where I'm coming from is a palm, which when I got it came with some very handy software like docs2go which took care of word and excel files, viewing and editing, also had mobileDB which is a data base program, used to keep a list of my DVD collection as have a few.
    Why do blackberries come with nothing? It seems very stupid for a smartphone that you don't get any software with it that you would need. In my option word and excel are a must but you have to pay extra for them? Why does it not come pre-installed? Palm where great with the software that came with their device. I love my blackberry but feel it only half of what it could and should be. Its meant for business so give us the software we need straight out of the box.
    Am I right or am I looking through palm tinted glasses?

SokudoBlade no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Why do blackberries come with next to no software?

A blackberry out of the box already support's opening and viewing those type of files without the need of a third party application like documents to go.

Not all Windows Based devices have the abilty to edit/create Word/Excel type documents. Which in turns requires a user to sometimes purchase the software anyway. Only the high end windows devices come preloaded with the office applications.

I see where your comming from, but i also feel that Blackberry's and with such a community as Pinstack on the web the vast range of free applications/themes/games far surpasses any windows/palm based phone or device :-)

The Blackberry's were targted as Business devices for the funcionality of Push Email / Wireless Sync Options for Calendar/AddressBook/Notes / Ability to Open and View Documents.

Your average of business users want the ability to view document's, reply to email's or even fwd attachments. I feel the Blackberry caters to business users in such a way i would call it Revolutionary :-)
    at&t Retail Sales Consultant Whitehall, PA. Data SME.

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D

I love the BlackBerrys because they come with almost nothing. To me it seems like customization is everything. Why be bogged down with apps you may or may not use? With my phone I love the idea of being able to add almost anything I want or need and have it be a free download. I might that agree that maybe a free disc that comes with your BlackBerry with other kinds of apps you add or remove at anytime wouldn't be too bad of an idea. But I think the lack of add-ons might have something to do with the low memory, that could certainly use a boost. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

I too love the ability to customize my Blackberry with what I'm able to choose. And most of the software that's valuable to me is also free -- an added bonus.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Quote Originally Posted by vince1
    Right where I'm coming from is a palm, which when I got it came with some very handy software like docs2go which took care of word and excel files, viewing and editing, also had mobileDB which is a data base program, used to keep a list of my DVD collection as have a few.
    Why do blackberries come with nothing? It seems very stupid for a smartphone that you don't get any software with it that you would need. In my option word and excel are a must but you have to pay extra for them? Why does it not come pre-installed? Palm where great with the software that came with their device. I love my blackberry but feel it only half of what it could and should be. Its meant for business so give us the software we need straight out of the box.
    Am I right or am I looking through palm tinted glasses?
    Perhaps a BB is not for you then?

I had a Treo and felt the 3rd party stuff was partly to blame for all the random reboot issues that I had. Same with Windows Mobile devices.

The BB is by far a much better device for me than the Treo. It does what I want it to do - email, schedule, contacts, etc. and is extremely reliable and stable.

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

I second the stability... My old 7250 still runs like a champ.. Never froze up, or had to be rebooted...
    My sony clie, ppc6700,samsung i730, all had freezing issues.. And it was ALWAYS third party stuff that made it unstable...

Ill never use another PDA, or other device... As long as these remain the "Push Pros", I'll keep using them...
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack

I just feel for shuch an expensive phone it should come with more software. I know the email and internet is great on it but we are paying each month for these.
    But i do love my bb, could never return to a stupid phone again, ie non bb.

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

Quote Originally Posted by vince1
    I just feel for shuch an expensive phone it should come with more software. I know the email and internet is great on it but we are paying each month for these.
    But i do love my bb, could never return to a stupid phone again, ie non bb.

there is alot of freeware out there, it allows you to build your device to what you want. no need for standard bloated crapola microsoft is shoving down your throat, but that is me, i like the freedom to pick and choose.

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F

Maybe rim can make ANOTHER model that comes with document editing capabilities... And call it something like 8350!!!

And then paint it blue or something...

Just to confuse customers on which one to buy even more...

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

i love my blackberry but the fact that it dont have a word or excel program is the biggest drawback for me why be able to view something when you cant correct a mistake that you missed the first time around i never had a window mobile device but with 4 blackberrys under my belt i feel the need for change at least with the basics

littleacorn no está en línea Stack Professional

Perhaps a BB is not for you then?
    when people resort to this sort of commentary when someone is merely making a huge suggestion on an oversight that seems to annoy a vast amount of us in the bb community, its uncalled for.

if this is for the business community then you'd have to agree, when you're on the fly and there isnt a laptop/desktop available, where will you go to edit that particular document? viewing capabilities are just that...viewing. they do not allow you to edit/create documents and the programs that do are an obscene amount of money. (fyi: ive typed out term papers on d2go and a compact keyboard this debunks the theory that the programs are unreliable and dont work properly.)

if this device truly caters to the business end-user then, RIM needs to make some serious improvements. so, i agree with you vince, totally and completely.

email your suggestion to RIM. afterall, that is the only way that future device's can improve; with the consumer's input.
    Last edited by littleacorn; 10-21-2007 at 01:27 PM.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

i don't mind it not having the ability to edit documents, but i do wish it had the ability to create word or excel files. i do also however realize there are reasons that they don't put certain software on there. and i think the main reason why is agreements with different vendors, blackberry and RIM have an agreement with yahoo so you can recieve your free yahoo accounts on your device with no problem, but its tougher to set up hotmail. on windows mobile its the complete opposite.....so its a little give and take with all vendors
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

My personal view on creating, editing and/or reading WORD, EXCEL, PDFs etc. is that the screen real estate on handhelds just isn't there. It is just too difficult IMHO.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by Dubdub
    My personal view on creating, editing and/or reading WORD, EXCEL, PDFs etc. is that the screen real estate on handhelds just isn't there. It is just too difficult IMHO.
    that cantbe true because there are programs out there but there 3rd party programs and thats the problem we feel that rim should package these in

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

Though I dont have excel or word on my phone, I would just type what I wanted in an email and then email it to someone and they would format it for me. It was still better than having nothing.

The ability to view excel was amazing---when you have Sergeant Majors and Officers calling you, and you can see what they are talking about to walk them through it (they usually loose brain power the higher they go----SSG's are the smartest! ) really is a life saver!
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?