Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

I ask this question because it is really beginning to a annoy me. Basically I ... General Blackberry forum

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Question Why are so few apps written for the Blackberry

Advertisement

I ask this question because it is really beginning to a annoy me. Basically I am talking about simple apps, ones for business and transportation. The chain of events seems to be:
    Application written for the computer
    Someone thinks it would be useful to have as a mobile app, and it gets written for the Iphone
    A while later they consider it could be useful for the Android - this I can understand because there are so many androids out there.
    It may then be written for Windows 7 phones
    It very rarely if ever gets written for the BB. This I don't understand since there are so many BB's out there.

An example of this are the transit apps which tell you when the next bus/train will arrive, or the cycle routes apps, giving you maps of the cycle routes. When I am doing the local commute I still see more people using their bb than any of the other phones, so if there is a market why is not taken advantage of, or is it more difficult to write the apps for the BB?

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I would have to agree with you, I hate to say it but I think the holdup may be with blackberry.com. I submitted a couple themes for approval through the developer portal and was immediately notified that they were under review. Now these are themes mind you. It's been two weeks and I have not heard a thing back from them. I can only imagine the review and processes that apps will go through once submitted. Maybe once you are established with them it's different, but if I have to wait this long just for an answer on a theme to know that it's even approved I don't believe I have the patience to work with them.
    bangus236 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I could see that as being frustrating, there is nothing worse than zero response, as you have no idea where things are going. This could certainly be one of the reasons. Developers for Apple though have to accept the apps going on Itunes and if the app is being sold then a considerable amount of the price goes to Apple. With the BB, the app does not have to be sold through Appworld, there are other store out there.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    This article provides some clues for the reason there are few BlackBerry apps.
    The Waterloo, Ontario-based company's declining market share and operating system complexity sapping the lure for developers. They say BlackBerry devices just aren't worth it anymore, especially when compared to the profitability of programming for Apple and Google platforms."You have to put your resources where the growth is," said Loic Le Meur, Seesmic CEO, to Bloomberg. "It's coming down to the explosive growth of the iPhone and the Android operating systems."

Developers like Seesmic, which create social media apps, and Purple Forge, maker of fan apps for the Miami Dolphins and singer Taylor Swift, say it is increasingly difficult to create apps on BlackBerry's platform due to RIM's confusing operating system and varying control methods, like its touch screen and keyboard devices.

"As soon as RIM brought in a touch screen and mixed it with a thumbwheel, a keyboard and shortcut keys, it made it really difficult and expensive to develop across devices," said Brian Hurley, Purple Forge CEO. "What Apple scored big on is having a touch screen and a button and that's it."
    (Bold emphasis is mine.)
    bangus236 likes this.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Thank you Laura, that pretty much hits the nail on the head. What I read from this is the difficulty in developing the apps rather than the market share, but eventually if there are no apps developed less and less people will buy the BB and the market share will diminish Seems like all software, lets not make it really user friendly lets make it easy to program, (ok the Android and Iphone are easy to use, but many of us like having a keypad and find the track pad very useful, I have a Torch and find myself using various methods of input depending on what I am doing at the time, for example in very cold weather the touch screen does not work so well, but the track pad does). I have used software specifically developed for my job and work with the developers, 90% of the time the input from the "User" to make if really user-friendly is ignored as it is too difficult to do and would waist too much time, so the "user" has to adapt to the software. This is where Apple for example was much prefered in the early days of the PC war (if you could afford it) since it had a more user friendly GUI than DOS and the early Windows.

PIN/ID
    no more
    dushdavj, I am glad that helped.

I found another article that was written by a developer.
    I’m an app developer. Pity me. I have to know Java, Eclipse, Objective-C, XCode, and both the Android and iOS SDKs. I could use a cross-compiler like PhoneGap, but they’re clunky and slow to implement new features. If Windows Phone 7 takes off, I need to master another language, environment, and platform—and while BlackBerry apps are written in Java, it’s an older version than Android’s, and the SDK is completely different.

I liked Palm, but I was delighted to see it die, and Nokia’s decay into irrelevance is a relief. Nothing against them; I just don’t want the hassle. App developers don’t want choice, we want consistency.

So what does RIM give us? Choice. First they offer free PlayBooks to developers who build PlayBook apps with Adobe’s AIR. Then they say you can build both PlayBook and BlackBerry 6 apps with BlackBerry WebWorks. Rather than split their development and support resources between two different platforms, they should have chosen one and ran with it. These “choices” will only confuse and irritate the app makers who will determine their fate.
    (Bold emphasis is mine.)
    Laura

Villordsutch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2A2F75F4
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    I would have to agree with you, I hate to say it but I think the holdup may be with blackberry.com. I submitted a couple themes for approval through the developer portal and was immediately notified that they were under review. Now these are themes mind you. It's been two weeks and I have not heard a thing back from them. I can only imagine the review and processes that apps will go through once submitted. Maybe once you are established with them it's different, but if I have to wait this long just for an answer on a theme to know that it's even approved I don't believe I have the patience to work with them.

Same here and I have to agree. I submitted a theme a week or so ago and I am waiting for something to happen...Anything denial or accept!

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter121 View Post
    With the BB, the app does not have to be sold through Appworld, there are other store out there.
    That is true. However, I wonder if folks who are not members of tech sites like Pinstack would be aware of the others.
    Laura

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Admitted there are other stores but still very few Apps but this may change as RIM have released an easier software package for developers

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    Admitted there are other stores but still very few Apps but this may change as RIM have released an easier software package for developers
    I hope so.

RIM needs to provide incentives to developers. For example, Microsoft is providing incentives to developers. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phone...s-phone-7/6386
    Laura

Villordsutch no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2A2F75F4
    What others are out there.

I know of

App World
    Mobihand
    mybbota

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
    What others are out there.

I know of

App World
    Mobihand
    mybbota
    Handango is another, but I have no idea if anyone uses it now. It used to be popular.
    Laura

spencerharry80 no está en línea Stack level 1
    It is just a general perception of mine, as Blackberry phone was built for business and had all the business friendly apps, so that may be one of the reason why blackberry have so few apps.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerharry80 View Post
    It is just a general perception of mine, as Blackberry phone was built for business and had all the business friendly apps, so that may be one of the reason why blackberry have so few apps.
    Thanks for the comment and welcome to PinStack!

PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerharry80 View Post
    Welcome to Pinstack. In the past I would agree with you, added to the difficulty in building and submitting the App. Today I think it is more the perception that BB is a dead only used by dinosaurs who are not capable of learning anything since if they were capable they would already have moved to a more advanced platform. The other main user are those that want it as a cheap messaging platform BBM is still the best communication app. (I am one of the dinosaurs) not because I cannot learn a new device more because I do not require all the additional capabilities that I would get from the other platforms.

This may all change when BB10 is released next year, there are certainly far more Apps available for it, and it is a pretty slick OS, the question is will it be released soon enough to make a difference, will it be marketed well enough to have people move platforms, or will it just die a death due to lack of interest? I hope it does make a difference, but I am not sure it will
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast