Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gabe, If you're in the US, Canada or Europe I think you'll be okay. Just ... General Blackberry forum

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

Re: Which plan do I want?

Advertisement

Gabe,

If you're in the US, Canada or Europe I think you'll be okay. Just get the whole story from your provider before commiting. Also, shop around and see what incentives other providers are offering. I've had great success with t-mobile in the US for phone and data. Unlimited non-BES data service for $19.99 a month! Bargain. I've NEVER been hit with other fees or charges.

Data is data and it's not specific to BB service. If you have a data plan for your phone, Treo or other device, it should be the same situation as with a BB.

gabe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2022D44B

Quote Originally Posted by hydn
    Gabe,

Don't let that sway you because additional data charges are that much unless you use apps that download 24/7 like IM apps.

Also unlimited plans are usually affordable. I live in the Caribbean where data is considered expensive. It's about
    Actually I'd probably use IM and other apps more than email. I also plan on doing some Java programming for the BB. I just think it's kind of rediculous that Cingular cant figure out how to properly bill for the BlackBerry. If I got a $1100 bill for a BB, I'd have no way to pay it off.

My roommate has a Sidekick II, and even though it's cool, T-Mobile's service isn't that great around where I live. Another one of my roommates has a BlackBerry that his company pays for and it's really cool.
    Last edited by gabe; 11-11-2005 at 05:56 PM.

PIN/ID
    23E261CF

I was using two IM apps at one point on my BB. a good amount of data, but no extra charges. I think the Cingualr instance was some what of an isolated case. It's easy to gripe about a big bill when we all don't know the whole story.

Cingular wouldn't be the number one BB provider in the US if they hit everyone upside the head every month with charges. Ask a rep all of your questions and be honest about what you want use the device for. If you get the answers you want you're gold.

defi no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by twheeler
    Defi; the PIM on my BB is as good as I've used in the past. It has all the basics even without being able to sync with Outlook. It may actually be better than most because of the QWERTY keyboard, Browser, Phone integration, IM capability and everything else offered. Everything you do on your BB can be done one-handed. Embeding info to and from e-mails is as easy as cutting and pasting. I don't know about the i-calendar feature though.
    Thats good to here. I dont use Outlook so I wont be syncing also, but I'm trying to find out a way to keep calenders up to date. Its not a big deal, I would probably just use the BB for that(basically instead of going "hey whats on my calender" and firing up my laptop, I would "grab" my BB and take a look). This would alleviate the need to constantly sync my devices. What about e-mail though, is it possible to leave my mail on the server and then DL it when I get home and also get it "pushed" to my BB? A BB really sounds like what I need but only after I get it will I know.

PIN/ID
    23E261CF

What type of account are you using?

Most e-mail will either forward or automatically be routed through an exchange server to your BB.

From the e-mail account on your laptop you should have the option to keep a copy of the mail resident on the PC.

My exchange and Web-based yahoo/gmail accounts keep a copy in my Inbox to view via PC. The mail will get to your BB either way through your cellualr service and you will never have to download messages like the old Palm hotsync situation.

defi no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by twheeler
    What type of account are you using?

Most e-mail will either forward or automatically be routed through an exchange server to your BB.

From the e-mail account on your laptop you should have the option to keep a copy of the mail resident on the PC.

My exchange and Web-based yahoo/gmail accounts keep a copy in my Inbox to view via PC. The mail will get to your BB either way through your cellualr service and you will never have to download messages like the old Palm hotsync situation.
    I guess I just dont know how it works? I have 3 POP e-mail addresses and a g-mail account, normally I retrieve them and keep them on my laptop/desktop(I'm working on setting up an imap server to contain them all in one place). With a BB in the mix how will this work? Will my mail be filtered through the BES and then forwarded to my BB and left available for DL from my laptop?

Ohh yeah... I just ordered a refurbed 7290 from cingular I couldnt wait. I figure if I like it ill just return it for the 8700 at the end of the month, before my 30 day trial is over.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Quote Originally Posted by defi
    Ohh yeah... I just ordered a refurbed 7290 from cingular I couldnt wait. I figure if I like it ill just return it for the 8700 at the end of the month, before my 30 day trial is over.
    Welcome aboard *Room cheers*

bbman no está en línea Stack level 1
    Wow,

This is a long thread, lol.. I was trying to read and catch up. Cingular and RIM want customers to use 3rd party apps. As a matter of fact, the Blackberry site is full of 3rd party apps. All data usage on Cingulars Orange Network is included for the $49.99 as a Data only device. $44.99 if bolted on to a voice plan, or $69.99 for Unlimited Domestic and International Service. Usally where customer get into issues is trying to use the device as a modem. Yes, you will get a big bill. If someone posts that they are doing it and they never got a big bill, and you try it and do. Its not really fair to flame the carrier, just because you tried something that is not what the carrier intended. Cingular will be launching an Unlimited Blackberry
    / Modem Plan 1st QTR next year. So users can use the Edge speed of the 8700c with their laptops. As for defi, I would have recommeded the Nokia 9300 with Blackberry connect. That way he can get Push email and work with MS Applications.
    http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/9300

If you flame me, dont hurt me to bad..lol

PIN/ID
    23E261CF
    No flaming here.

For the reasons you stated the Nokia would be a great choice.

I think we only get half the story when people rant on carriers. Cingular and T-Mobile are the two top BB carriers in the US. If they are hitting people too hard, they wouldn't be getting the business.

So just to clarify. An unlimited BB plan with Domestic phone service is $69.99? or as an add on, unlimited BB data is $45?

Here is your Breakdown:

$44.99 UL BB with a voice plan

$49.99 UL Blackberry Data only.

$64.99 Unlimited Blackberry Data Domistic and International Roaming with a voice bolt on. " You will not pay any data roaming fees while traveling worldwide, but international voice roaming rates will apply."

$69.99 Blackberry Data Domistic and International Roaming included "You will not pay any data roaming fees while traveling worldwide"

PIN/ID
    23E261CF
    Thank you!

The UL BB plans are US coverage without any roaming fees for data?

That right Mr. Wheeler

PIN/ID
    2022D44B

Quote Originally Posted by CNGinsider
    Wow,

This is a long thread, lol.. I was trying to read and catch up. Cingular and RIM want customers to use 3rd party apps. As a matter of fact, the Blackberry site is full of 3rd party apps. All data usage on Cingulars Orange Network is included for the $49.99 as a Data only device. $44.99 if bolted on to a voice plan, or $69.99 for Unlimited Domestic and International Service. Usally where customer get into issues is trying to use the device as a modem. Yes, you will get a big bill. If someone posts that they are doing it and they never got a big bill, and you try it and do. Its not really fair to flame the carrier, just because you tried something that is not what the carrier intended. Cingular will be launching an Unlimited Blackberry
    / Modem Plan 1st QTR next year. So users can use the Edge speed of the 8700c with their laptops. As for defi, I would have recommeded the Nokia 9300 with Blackberry connect. That way he can get Push email and work with MS Applications.
    http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/9300

If you flame me, dont hurt me to bad..lol
    "All data usage on Cingulars Orange Network is included"... just wanted to double check... you are talking about all email, IM, and 3rd party apps right?

Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    "All data usage on Cingulars Orange Network is included"... just wanted to double check... you are talking about all email, IM, and 3rd party apps right?
    Yes, thats right..As long as you are using a Blackberry.

PIN/ID
    2022D44B

Thanks for all of the information. I actually odered a BlackBerry and recieved it today. Unfortunately, I am having some problems with my account. I think it wasn't provisioned properly, because I can't use the WAP.cingular or ISP.cingular WAP APNs. No 3rd party applications will work.

When I called Cingular's BlackBerry support line, they told me that I need to add a "Data Connect" plan to be able to use 3rd party applications. I kept persisting that it doesn't make sense that I have unlimited BlackBerry, but they wouldn't budge.

Do you think that you could help me?

Quote Originally Posted by bbman
    Yes, thats right..As long as you are using a Blackberry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast