Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ok, I'm trying to decide what plan to get with a blackberry. First it will ... General Blackberry forum

defi no está en línea Stack level 1

Which plan do I want?

Advertisement

Ok, I'm trying to decide what plan to get with a blackberry. First it will be my first BB so im kind of ignorrant to certain things. For instance if I mainly want to use my BB for on the-the-go surfing, SSH, some e-mail(it dosent need to be "pushed" I dont mind checking an inbox), and as a PIM for my daily schedule; do I need a BB plan or just a data plan. I will probably get a plan through cingular because of the 8700c.Now for you guys, what are your recomendations for me? Whats the best plan at the cheapest price, etc.. General things one should know before buying. Oh yeah, I know I can get a treo, I dont want one.

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

Re: Which plan do I want?

Welcome to pinstack!

Lots to talk about here.

Blackberry plans and phone plans are often times priced separate. Although you have to have a phone plan with a carrier in order to activate a BB plan. Example: T-mobile has 600 talk-time minutes for $39.99 a month. Blackberry data plan is an additional service for $19.99 a month. All total before taxes and fees - $59.98 a month. Nota bene: you can use your BB as a phone too and don't need two lines of service.

If you're browsing and transfering a lot of data you may want an unlimited data plan. Off the top of my head I know T-mobile has unlimited BB plans starting at $19.99. Some carriers may charge a per-MB rate, so read the fine print.

I like a carrier that doesn't tie me down for a 2 year contract and phone choice. I can upgrade my BB at anytime to a new device or rate plan and only have to re-up for one year of service. I'm on my 2nd BB in less than a year!

Make an educated decision based on BB service plans and coverage in your area. I'd not lean toward one carrier or another based on the availablity of the 8700. It's likely that most of the major providers will have an 8700 model available by Spring '06.

Besides, keep posting on pinstack and you may be the lucky winner in Feb.!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Yes as twheeler says...

An unlimited data plan gives you the most freedom. If you are going to use SSH check out Idokorro Mobile SSH. I use the full version of that on about 40 Routers saves a lot of trips someitimes. When I'm on the road I can pull over, login and enter my commands.

http://www.idokorro.com/imssh.html

Choosing a provider

Determine where you're going to use the BlackBerry the most, or at least decide where it's critical that you have BlackBerry data reception, and see which company has the best coverage in that area. The wireless network providers usually have coverage maps available either on their Web sites, in their stores, or by mail upon request. Keep in mind that the wireless data network is not the same as the GSM network (GPRS rides on GSM) [if you are going to use GSM that is) the 8700c is GSM, so you'll want to specifically mention BlackBerry when you're asking about coverage.

Important points to keep in mind

A BlackBerry is designed and geared towards delivering text, so it's not totally a Treo type devide. It's more economic and efficient towards that main purpose... email. While the Blackberry is a type of personal digital assistant (PDA), it is not meant to be used in the same way that a Palm Pilot or PocketPC device is. Those devices are literally miniature computers.

BlackBerries come with complete alphanumeric keyboards; many PDAs don't. Some people love them because of this for email mainly. Some people do not, because the keys are small and they may have been expecting more media capabilities.

They Blackberry sounds like what you need... just continue to do what you are doing here.. ask questions.

Good luck and welcome to Pinstack!

Des911 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24F816FF

Interesting posts because in the UK you don't have to have a phone plan, O2 do a data only package suitable for BB.

Des

Thanks for the quick replys!!

If you're browsing and transfering a lot of data you may want an unlimited data plan.
    This Is what I'm worried aout. I will be doing lots of web surfing and using the SSH client that hydn mentioned and I dont want to get extra charges like the 1100$ bill(from cingular) i was reading about on another forum.

While the Blackberry is a type of personal digital assistant (PDA), it is not meant to be used in the same way that a Palm Pilot or PocketPC device is. Those devices are literally miniature computers.
    How different is it? I have had 2 palms in the past and they both ended up in the same spot, sitting on the charger un-used. It was almost like they had to much, it couldnt connect to the web, lack of built-in keyboard, etc... Just never really got comfortable with one (although with an add on keyboard its great for taking notes in class without having to lug around a laptop). From reading about the BB it seems as if it might be the device for me. The real question is how well does it work as a PIM? Is it easy to embed things from calender, contacts, etc. into and from e-mails? Does it support the icalender format? I ask this because I'm a linux user and I wont be able to Sync it with my desktop, so I need some way to transfer data and events between my devices. Hydn you seem to be a linux user, how does the BB work for you?

Last but not least, why would I want to wait for the 8700? Right now Cingular has a refub 7290 on sale for 69$. I dont really need the latest and greatest, could care less about how "pretty" the screen is(honestly I'm used to using a terminal in linux and pretty to me is colored text); but I do care about storage and abilities. What can the 8700 do that the 7290 cant, and will the doubling of flash ROM make a big difference or not? I mean honestly if I can SSH to my server I can store things there.

Quote Originally Posted by Des911
    Interesting posts because in the UK you don't have to have a phone plan, O2 do a data only package suitable for BB.

Des
    Most providers offer a data only plan for the BB with pay as you go minutes. Its just that the type of data included is questionable.

PIN/ID
    ask

defi if you need more help PM me you msn messenger contact I'm be free later this evening. However, i'm sure you'll find more info here..

also check out the articles here: http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryfaq

Quote Originally Posted by hydn
    defi if you need more help PM me you msn messenger contact I'm be free later this evening. However, i'm sure you'll find more info here..

also check out the articles here: http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryfaq
    Sorry no MSN account(I'm a linux user, its almost an insult lol!!!) Do you have an IRC channel?

PIN/ID
    24F816FF

Quote Originally Posted by defi
    Most providers offer a data only plan for the BB with pay as you go minutes. Its just that the type of data included is questionable.
    How do you mean questionable?

Data only plan is useful if you have another phone with a tarrif you don't want to give up.

Des

Quote Originally Posted by Des911
    How do you mean questionable?

Data only plan is useful if you have another phone with a tarrif you don't want to give up.

Des
    Do some searching about cingular unlimited BB plans. You'll find people getting charged for using third party apps on the BB. I dont know why but it has something to do with the type of data they transmit.

PIN/ID
    24F816FF

Presumably cingular is American?

I've not heard of any data discrimination here in the UK - might be wrong though.

Des

PIN/ID
    ask

I don't think you get charged for using 3rd party apps. But you get charged for the extra data that 3rd party apps use. I may be wrong, it would be good for someone to come to a definitive on this.

twheeler no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E261CF

Hydn: you're correct. it's not having a 3rd party app installed that costs more, it's the data and ports the app uses on the carrier network that can incure extra charges.

Some carriers may block ports to negate problems with customer service after charges have been incured while others will let it all go through and hit you with a fat bill at months end.

Defi; the PIM on my BB is as good as I've used in the past. It has all the basics even without being able to sync with Outlook. It may actually be better than most because of the QWERTY keyboard, Browser, Phone integration, IM capability and everything else offered. Everything you do on your BB can be done one-handed. Embeding info to and from e-mails is as easy as cutting and pasting. I don't know about the i-calendar feature though.

The 7290 will be able to handle a lot of info and applications. 32mb is an aweful lot for the BB. I have a lighter version of the 7290 with my 7230 (16mb) and it's fantastic.

gabe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2022D44B

Quote Originally Posted by defi
    Do some searching about cingular unlimited BB plans. You'll find people getting charged for using third party apps on the BB. I dont know why but it has something to do with the type of data they transmit.
    From what I've read, this has something to do with settings issues, the BlackBerry was not using the correct gateway or something of that nature. I really don't see how they can charge you extra for data usage when on the Cingular website it says "Additional data: N/A". How can they bill you for extra data if it says there's no price for it?

I wish there was a definitive answer to this, because it's definately making me less sure about buying a BB.

PIN/ID
    ask

Gabe,

Don't let that sway you because additional data charges are that much unless you use apps that download 24/7 like IM apps.

Also unlimited plans are usually affordable. I live in the Caribbean where data is considered expensive. It's about $60.00
    Last edited by hayden; 11-11-2005 at 07:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast