Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey fellow pinstackers! So I've had my 8100 pearl for FOREVER and am ready to ... General Blackberry forum

leopardess no está en línea Stack level 2

Question which new berry to wait for ???? which is best?

Advertisement

Hey fellow pinstackers!

So I've had my 8100 pearl for FOREVER and am ready to get a new berry with my contract renewal. But I have to ask all of you berry lovers out there:

Which berry should I wait for? Which is best?

With all of this discussion about the upcoming Onyx and Magnum and others I don't know how long I should wait before snatching my next berry to love!

Thanks for all of the help/opinions!
    ~-~ Renée ~-~

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    If its coming soon, I suggest The bold or the 8900, (slightly higher recommendation on the bold if your in a 3g area, and dont have wfi at home or at work) (Yet higher on the 8900 if you like pictures and do alot of media things)

Brand new devices will have kinks and bugs, thats why I recommend these instead of one that will be coming out, if your plan has an upgrade every year.

But is you like wasting money then go with one of the newer ones when they do come out.
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I'm waiting for the onyx to drop on ATT. Specs out like a Bold but a little smaller and sleeker.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Lvallejo666 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Anything is better than a little ol' 8100! Even an ol' 8300. But anyways, there's no such thing as a better berry, they're all great.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    My next phone will be the storm2

They all sound good, being all berries of course! I like that the pearl (what I have now) is smaller than say a curve. But I'm addicted to new features! Chokem you mentioned the onyx having functionality like the Bold but being smaller, that sounds ideal. Any thoughts on the main features of these different berries?
    ~-~ Renée ~-~

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Cherri did a nice article last week on this very subject-http://forums.pinstack.com/showthread.php?t=108586&highlight=onyx+review

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Storm 2 in my opinion

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3
    leopardess. you're in the exact situation I was in. I had a Pearl 8100 for about 2 years and I upgraded. I was (and still am) with T-Mobile, so I decided on the Curve 8900, which I've had a little over a month now. I was keeping options open on switching carriers, possibly going with the older Curve (83xx), or possibly a Bold. I looked at the Verizon Storm, but wasn't overly impressed, although its a decent device if you have your heart set on touch screen. I even thought about just getting a newer Pearl, because I was very happy with it.

I wound up with the 8900 -- it is nice having the Qwerty keyboard, but I've always felt and still do, that SureType on the 8100 was remarkable. I'm still getting a little used to the smaller keys on the 8900, but the larger screen, the integrated Wi-fi and faster processor are all definite nice to haves.

While you're looking, just remember that, even though the 8100 is an old BlackBerry now, its still a great device, especially if you keep up with the newer OS releases.

hmmm all good thoughts. I have read the review on the onyx as well as other reviews. I do love my 8100 pearl still, but it does get slow at times and even freezes occasionally when I run too many things at once.

richmo58, would you say that keeping my pearl until things (such as the onyx) come out this late fall? are you happy with the 8900 in comparison with the pearl? I agree that the suretype is pretty great, and use it to its full advantage. However, the faster processor is a pull-in for sure.

I'd love to get something right away (asap please!) but it also seems to be a good choice to stick with what I have until things start popping up this Christmas? What does everything think of this with their experience in how RIM delays everything?
    ~-~ Renée ~-~

richmo58 no está en línea Stack level 3
    One thing you do have in your favor is a working Pearl. It may not be the best BB out there because of its age, but compared to a lot of the smartphones out there, it is still very competitive. And they're still selling a lot of them...the new Pearls are nice as well. And to be honest, I think I like the smaller size of the Pearl vs. the wider 8900 (and of course the Bold is even bigger). I know some of the Pearls have Wi-Fi now and I think an improved processor and maybe even GPS. Definitely something to think about, but sometimes a change is nice too.

Anyway, you do have the luxury of a good, working device on your side. I know the Pearl did lock up on fairly rare occasions and was slow at times, especially when accessing the microSD card. The 8900 is definitely a lot snappier. As I said, I do miss the Pearl keyboard somewhat, but I'm getting used to the full Qwerty, and in the long run, I'm sure I'll prefer it.

As far as waiting for new devices, thats totally up to you. I generally try to stay away from a brand new device...I certainly would not have been one of those waiting in line at Verizon/At&t the first day the Storm/iPhone came out. There's two examples of a new device that didn't live up to expectations. The iPhone has had a second generation that seems to have worked out some of the problems; the Storm has an update coming. Of course, that doesn't help the original Storm and iPhone buyers that plunked down a lot of money for a device that may not have met their expectations. We'll have to see how the newer devices, such as the Onyx, are received. BlackBerry usually does things right, but as seen with the original Storm (and maybe the Pearl Flip), they're not perfect. Its also good to wait long enough for some good deals to come out on the devices...I was able to get a nice deal on an 8900, for example.

Another thing you need to decide is what carrier you want to go with and whether the device is important enough to force your decision. I'm glad T-Mo got the 8900, but I may have gone with the older Curve if someone else did.

thank you all so much for your opinions!

I think I'll stick with the pearl for a little while longer. It is a great phone and I love it! I am pretty stuck to ATT right now so maybe I'll end up getting a new phone in the next 2 months or I'll wait for other new phone to get their bugs fixed. But discussing it is still something good to do!
    ~-~ Renée ~-~

Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5
    There are supposed to be a lot of new devices coming out over the summer. Many choices to come.

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Onyx or magnum, if you are on att, tour or atlas if you are on Verizon and Driftwood if you are on Tmobile

rashard no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    208FBA40
    wow talk about a man i know

Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    Onyx or magnum, if you are on att, tour or atlas if you are on Verizon and Driftwood if you are on Tmobile
    It takes many professionals versed in many different area's to help the masses, I am just a single drop in that pool.

BXXXX[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast