Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My current contract with Verizon is up, meaning I get to Upgrade to a new ... General Blackberry forum

Dustin_D no está en línea Stack level 2

Which Blackberry should I purchase for my priorities?

Advertisement

My current contract with Verizon is up, meaning I get to Upgrade to a new phone at contract price.

Even though I would rather go with AT&T and get the Curve, it's not a possibility.

So, the Pearl was just released, and I like the size of it, and the fact that it has a camera, but I am not too hot about the dual lettered keyboard.

Verizon also offers the 8830 I believe, which has a full keyboard, but no camera :/.

I will be a first time student in college next year, and am finishing High School now.

I use my current phone (a crappy samsung, had a RAZR but it broke) for Text Messaging, Phone Calls, and Picture Messaging.

I would love to have a web-browser on my phone, seeing as I am always needing one when I am not home. AIM would also be nice to have.

So which of the two would be better, or what about the Motorola Q9m?

Thanks in advance.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Re: Which Blackberry should I purchase for my priorities?

i have the 8830 and the only reason i would not pick the pearl is because of the screen size i had a 7130 and loved it but i think the pearls screen is smaller i say the 8830

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

I, too, have the 8830 and love it. I just upgraded from the 8703e and prior to that had the 7130e. I like the 8830 and the sleekness and since moving up from the 7130, I can't go back to a phone without a full-size keyboard. If a camera phone is important to you, you will be a college student and want the chat capabilities, I would actually recommend the Q. I am a very loyal BB user but I think you would enjoy the features of the Q, along with the Microsoft Office software that you could utilize and sync between your laptop/PC and your phone. The Pearl or a phone of that nature would be the phone of choice for you because of its size but if you don't want to use the SureType, which I don't like either, you would have to go with the 8830 or a full-size phone which might not be user-friendly for you.

Just my two cents...Good luck in your search and Welcome to the "Stacks".
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

I do not like the typing keyboard on the Pearl, but could I get used to it? Or is it something completely different from the full keyboard?

If I end up getting the 8830, which is more expensive than the pearl, what else are the upsides? Does it also have the calender and notes stuff on it? And if I get the 8830 without the camera, would it be beneficial to help me stay on track and more business orientated when it comes to doing my work?

wasntxme no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2408fbdc

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Blackberry is designed for Business use and Business security. Get an IPhone while u are still young enuff to enjoy it.

Curve is your next best option if u feel compelled to have a Business phone for some reason.

Anything less than a full size keyboard will eventually drive U batty. Can't believe they ever even invented one. Curve has much nicer keyboard than my 8800 and was "designed" more for consumers than business.

Cost of Hardware + Data Plans vary SIGNIFICANTLY. Some phones are free (or 1 cent) but cost u $99 per month. TMobile is probably cheapest, but Verizon and ATT offer Hi Speed 3G in big cities.

I use my phone more than my computer now for web browsing so go for speed. See "thethered modem" options on this site for thw best of both worlds.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin_D View Post

I do not like the typing keyboard on the Pearl, but could I get used to it? Or is it something completely different from the full keyboard?

If I end up getting the 8830, which is more expensive than the pearl, what else are the upsides? Does it also have the calender and notes stuff on it? And if I get the 8830 without the camera, would it be beneficial to help me stay on track and more business orientated when it comes to doing my work?
    lol nope, NO BlackBerry will keep you on track... meaning you will be addicted regardless of which one (camera or not) and find you mess with it all the time.

As for SureType v. full keyboard, you will get the hang of either. IMO the 8130's dual letter but a tad bit bigger button, while the 8830 is smaller and harder to thumb through.. but you will get used to either style you go with, just as you got used to texting on a cell phone.

Both are BlackBerries, meaning they will do the same things (email, calendar etc) all the same. Just vary by keyboard type and camera, both have GPS (limited to just Verizon's Navigator abilities).

Like someone above said, you should not limit yourself to just these devices. Also consider (not my favorite but) Windows Mobile devices available. They will be good for web surfing since you said you want/need a browser. They will also work nicely with Office documents (BlackBerry will view them but not edit/create them). Both BlackBerry, and Windows Mobile can do chat via 3rd party applications.
    Last edited by cliffr39; 11-21-2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling sorry haha
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin_D View Post

Out of the two, I'm thinking that the Pearl would be the most appropriate for you. It has all the business/PIM capabilities of the 8830, but is designed to stage it's phone functions. The Suretype takes a few minutes to get used to. Within the half-hour you won't be able to tell the difference between it and a full QWERTY. Only irritating thing is that it steers you towards correct spelling when messaging, so if you like to type "prolly" for "probably", or "wuz" for "was", and like that, it can be irritating. You'll be surprised to know that the menu structure and options are nearly identical, so much in fact that one can conclude that they are the same device with different bodies. So, for the "phone" shape, the camera, and the smaller cost, I suggest pearl

Well I would love to have the Curve, but Verizon doesn't offer it .

And if I buy it unlocked, could I get a warranty for it still?

I am currently leaning towards the pearl, but if I chipped in a hundred bucks I would have my parents get me the 8830, but I would still have to decide about the camera, I don't think I would really use it often. I only use the camera on my phone a couple times a month.

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D

I'd say that if you really want the phone for the web browsing experience go with the 8830. The only few things the Pearl has over the 8830 is the camera and the VZNavigator. But soon they'll have the patch for 8830 for that Navigation (which is awesome even for $9.99).

I've personally had both. Started with 8830 then switched to the Pearl for the ability to MMS. But I miss some of the games like Meteor Crusher (my personal favorite). Neither has free themes at this time which is kind of sad since I used to have the Pearl for T-Mobile way back in the day.

So if I had to recommend one I'd say the 8830 for texting and web browsing. Not too hot on the talking on the phone since its rather large and noticeably heavier. Then the 8130 has the picture messaging and predictive text and Navigation!

If you could I'd say try both. Haha. But seriously quick decision I think the Pearl is better phone for most people. Small sleek and capable, what more could you ask for?! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

You need to also factor in the cost of the BB dataplan. if you want email and Internet. You will need the personal unlimited plan and if you do a lot of texting, you will need one that includes SMS as well. A regular cell phone dataplan won't work. Can't say what the Verizon prices are though. You need to check that out before you make the leap.

docholliday no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317AFEB6

I'd suggest that the OP look into the LG Voyager on VZW. It's an iPhone competitor and an "upgrade" to the EnV: the front screen is a touch screen, and when you open it up, there's a full QWERTY keyboard. It has a decent HTML web browser from what I hear, a 2MP camera, and the other usual features of most high-end phones. Furthermore, with a VZW Premium plan, you will have unlimited text, VCast, VZ Nav, etc - could possibly cost less than a voice plan + VZW's BIS service.

Not that I'd ever stop using a BB myself.

I personally dislike touch screen gadgets, so I would rather pass on the new Verizon phone.

This is also why I would not consider an iPhone.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

My girlfriend has the Q9M and she loves it. If you're on Verizon and really want a qwerty and a camera, that's about the only decent choice.
    But if you're not going to use the camera that much, I'd say the 8830 is the way to go. It's a much more solid piece of equipment over the Motorola. And it's a Blackberry!

Does anyone know if the Curve will ever become available to Verizon?

If not, I think I will go with the 8830.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

It's really hard to say. Look at how long it took Verizon to get the Pearl - but we'd like to hope they will
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast