Dear friends, Can anybody please tell me how to know which apps are consuming a ... General Blackberry forum

cartoonyworld no está en línea Stack level 1

Which apps consumes the application memories

Advertisement

Dear friends,

Can anybody please tell me how to know which apps are consuming a lot of application memories? Just like some sort of the task manager program in window

So I can close those programs that consumes too much memories.

I also can see that when the emails are pused in, they consumes some amount of application memories, but when I delete them out, the memories don't seem to increase at the level they consumed earlier.

Please suggest.

Thank you
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.282 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120

adils no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well read it somewhere in the forums that it is advisable to do a battery reset / pull out, once in a week. It helps freeing the memory. Secondly, as what i have observed, there are a few apps which you cannot exit; probably stays in the memory. Moreover, i make it a point to close the application when i am finished, unless i want to continue with it, in a little while. Hope it helps till some expert opinions drop in
    "All people on the planet are children,
    Except, for a very few.
    No one is grown up,
    Except, those free of Desire"

JoshSeawell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonyworld View Post
    Dear friends,

Can anybody please tell me how to know which apps are consuming a lot of application memories? Just like some sort of the task manager program in window

So I can close those programs that consumes too much memories.

I also can see that when the emails are pused in, they consumes some amount of application memories, but when I delete them out, the memories don't seem to increase at the level they consumed earlier.

Please suggest.

Thank you
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.282 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120
    Im not sure of any application right now that list the applications that are running and how much memory they are using like you wanting. But I have a habit of running memory cleaning quite often. Not 100% sure how it works on the Bold, but I know on the Storm, .151 OS They offer; Clean When Holstered, Clean when Idle, and show the Icon on Home screen (which you can manually clean out memory). To get to the memory cleaning go to Options > Security Options > Memory Cleaning. It cleans out some cache and clipboard and a few other things. And as the above post says doing battery pulls often cleans out the memory too. Hope this helps some... If you find an app that list the memory of each program running I would like to check it out also...
    -Josh

For a listing of applications and their respective memory used, got to Options>Status, then click the trackwheel or trackball, and choose "Database Sizes". This may not break it down as much as you'd like, but it gets close. One thing to keep in mind is that aftermarket software on your handheld will usually store its data in "RMS Databases" on the list.

Blackberrys allow software to reserve File Handles, which is the main reason memory disappears over time. What this is is simply that applications reserve a little of the device's memory in order to start faster the next time they are invoked. A classic example is Microsoft Word on your PC: The first time you start it up after the computer boots, it takes a couple of seconds. Close it, and then open it again: this time it takes only about a third of the time to start up. This is because when it started the first time, it reserved a little of the computer's memory (a File Handle) so it would start quicker. After a period of time, software File Handles take a lot of the free memory from your Blackberry. The only way to free this memory is a cold boot, which is the battery pull.

Memory Cleaner is not intended to free up memory for application use. It's purpose is to "clean" accessible memory for security purposes. For example, let's say you have your Social Security Number stored in Password Keeper. You want to send it in an email, and so you simply copy/paste it from Password Keeper to the body of an email. That means your Social is now on the Clipboard - Memory Cleaner is intended to keep areas like the Clipboard clear so in case your handheld is lost or stolen sensitive data that may have been inadvertantly left somewhere will be erased and unavailable. In the example above, all a person would have to do is open MemoPad and and paste, and voila! they have your Social even though you thought it was securly in the Password Keeper. If you are using Memory Cleaner to free up memory for applications, you've missed the point (and, of course, it's not working . . .). That's why Memory Cleaner is in the Security menu.
    Last edited by Mark Stone; 08-06-2009 at 07:20 PM.