Just unlocked my wife's 8220 this evening and thought of a general question I know ... General Blackberry forum

bupspa no está en línea Stack level 1

Where to get MEP code?

Advertisement

Just unlocked my wife's 8220 this evening and thought of a general question I know a lot of us or at least a few of us have wondered about.How or were do these guy's get the mep codes from? Hope this isn't "taboo" but any one have any insider's knowlege they would like to share. Or at least a good almost believable story! lol....
    Last edited by Lavagirl; 03-03-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: use of color fonts

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    The MEP code is what ties each device to its particular carrier. I'm not sure where it comes from though.

bupspa no está en línea Stack level 1
    How bout the unlock codes?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Not sure where the unlock codes come from.

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    This is how I think it works...

All these codes are based on algorithms...

I'd think that a website that provides unlocking service fronts up a large amount to purchase the software that generates an unlock code based on the imei...

The carriers already have this with them, so they can generate them for free...

Similar to how people used to buy serial connectivity cables at hefty prices to manually unlock devices or flash firmware in the past, they now just buy software and market it to turn their cost into a profit...

Hope that makes sense...
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Would guess that's right. Interesting enough such software has never (as far as I know) been leaked. A quick search on the web showed quite a few results for nokia software generators, even a youtube vid.
    I searched because I was curious what that would cost. Never found anything for blackberry, but didn't really look that hard.

autoprime no está en línea Stack level 1
    theres a tool called multiloader that will unlock most blackberry devices. for free. no need to pay for this service anymore.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Yes but mml is a leaked software and therefire illegal... The code generators, I'm sure are distributed through cellular retail channels... And since everyone has had to dish out big money for em, they're not about to leak them...

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    The software to verify a code is present in the device. The way I see it, there is either a firmware value assigned randomly at manufacture (and a master list), or a value computed from the IMEI.

The master list would require a lot of space, since each device that RIM manufactures would need an entry, along with which carrier it is assigned to. It would be secure, and no software program would be able to "generate" keys.

But, it's not like RIM to do that. A generator is more elegant, and logistically easier to manage. The engineering screen backdoor codes were generated deterministically, albeit with complex cryptographic operations. I think it is more likely that the RIM engineers took the same approach here.

It took me less than 2 hours to go from the COD to a working algorithm for the escreens. When I have the time, I plan on investigating the option screens COD to see if something similar is going on.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    I am not sure on exactly how the information is stored by the manufacturer but in my experience based off info I have been given by reps and technicians, the carrier actually does not have this info but does have direct access to it at anytime they request. I also know that the unlock codes they get from the manufacturer are not always correct (don't ask me why). I believe that the companies that provide IMEI unlocking in most cases are using a piece of software that will calculate the code based on algorithms that someone has been able to either get from the manufacturer (unlikely) or pull from the devices themselves. We use cable methods in our shop to pull or remove the unlock code (varies by device on which method is used). The equipment is generally expensive to purchase for one device (between $200 to $1000 up front plus subscriptions) but works more reliable than remote unlocking in our history.

Zo

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Yup... The both of you make sense... abt the same as what I thought... 3 heads r better than one ya'll...