Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

glad to see that they're addressing some of the concerns, but i'm just concerned it's ... General Blackberry forum

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

Advertisement

glad to see that they're addressing some of the concerns, but i'm just concerned it's too little too late for them. yes we all see that RIM is still #1 in the smartphone market, but has anyone seen the numbers for personal (meaning non-corporate) smartphone use? i'm willing to bet that rim is not #1 on that list.

btompkins0112 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    Yeah now I am rethinking my decision....GRRRRR so many phones out LOL I'm looking at the 9700, 8900, 8820, 8220 Flip (or 8230 if I switch to CDMA) and the 8520 now. IF I give BB another try (even if on another carrier), it would have to step up the game in on-board memory and processor (to avoid the hourglass), media (updated media player), messaging (threaded text, IM, social networking, etc). I have a classmate who just bought the 8900 and that's what made me rethink my decision to leave the platform altogether.
    EricaJ - Any device that has either a bet 5.0 or official 5.0 has an updated mediaplayer, threaded text, etc.. The 9700 is going to give you a faster processor than the 8900, but I have an 8900 and I don't get the hourglass too often. Also, the 9700 is going to get you the trackpad, which is key! Also, the 9700 is on both Tmobile and at&t, so you get your choice of carriers.

Or if you are switching to CDMA the Storm2 will give you all the upgrades. Good luck with your decision!

As for me, I am upgrading to a 9700 as soon as they are released!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I tried the Storm (a friend has one and I played with it) and couldn't stand it. The 8520, 9700 and 8900 are the 3 I'm mainly looking at right now.

This thread is VERY interesting to me, because I've emphasized before here at Pinstack that "Smartphone Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder!" Blackberrys, even with their marketing that seems to target consumers, are still based on OSs and construction that is designed for business. Psi Chick, in the first post in this thread, says that Blackberrys havent really changed in the last three years - I think it's a lot longer than that. I played with a friend's Bold the other day, and even though it's new and modern and flashy, at its heart it isn't different at all from my old 7290 that I carry around for PIM. Same Calendar, same Password Keeper, same Task ap, same contact list, etc.etc., except the newer BB is a bit slower. Meanwhile, in the market segment that RIM is targeting with their new advertising (multimedia - internet - colours - sounds - "friends") my Nokia outperforms Blackberry in every respect. And my Nokia is just one of the cheap "Music Xpress" phones. So, if ya love BlackBerry, then ya love BlackBerry; but RIM has got to make improvements, especially a new OS, to compete where they are putting their advertising dollars!

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    RIM has several obstacles it needs to overcome, this thread has mentioned several. Another one that is quietly occurring is the BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone). Many businesses in the past were supplying hundreds of Blackberry's along with paying the associated costs (voice, data plan) and using BES which has an associated per client fee.

Now with BYOP many businesses are saving a lot of money in these tough times. Having Exchange options on new devices with businesses already using Exchange makes it's cost effective.

There is less of a financial burden on the business and the user is happier because they get to choose the phone they like best.
    We used to spend nearly $10K a month on bills related to all our issued Blackberry's. That has not gone down to around $1000 a month just by opening up BYOP.

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional
    I got tired of waiting for a better device. So I ditched BB, and got an iPhone and its way better than any old Berry could be. My opinion.

iLord is DEAD!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by btompkins0112 View Post
    EricaJ - Any device that has either a bet 5.0 or official 5.0 has an updated mediaplayer, threaded text, etc.. The 9700 is going to give you a faster processor than the 8900, but I have an 8900 and I don't get the hourglass too often. Also, the 9700 is going to get you the trackpad, which is key! Also, the 9700 is on both Tmobile and at&t, so you get your choice of carriers.

Or if you are switching to CDMA the Storm2 will give you all the upgrades. Good luck with your decision!

As for me, I am upgrading to a 9700 as soon as they are released!
    Thanks. The 2 carriers I'm up in arms about switching to are AT&T and Verizon. Verizon has the Pearl Flip 8230, 9630 Tour and 8530. AT&T has the 8900 and the Bold.

mobile99 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by psi chick View Post
    btompkins and bmanley....you guys are missing the point. the new bb's that are being released are not being marketed for business users, they are aiming at the personal user. and those users are being disappointed. business will only get you so far, the consumer market is MUCH bigger than corporate and if RIM wants to stay in that game they need to do something. they have their dedicated corporate phones, but the new phones on the market are not geared toward the business user, they're for the personal user. and those phones are disappointing to say the least.

yes, email is important, but i completely agree with srl, it's not people's primary means of communication anymore. for business, yes, but not for the average user.

when RIM released the pearl they opened up the doors to an entirely new class of customers, mainly the consumer. and those customers are not happy anymore. honestly if it wasn't for the ease of email and bbm i would have left bb already. bbm is mostly what's keeping me on it. the other smartphones that are out there are much more powerful in terms of customizabilty and available utilities, which is what the consumer wants. i can't even change the theme on my bb without it seriously slowing down the phone, which already isn't so quick. it's frustrating.
    I could not agree more. You have brought up very valid and accurate points.

I am brand neutral. My loyalty is to myself, not to those I give my money to, I buy what works for me.

Currently I use both an iPhone 3GS and an BB 8900. These are the two brands that I have used concurrently since the very first iPhone was introduced. I like the iPhone for it's larger display as I'm very mobile and must have good web access. I like the BB because it has the best keyboard and email. So for me it truly takes these two to accommodate my needs. I would truly enjoy having only one phone, but right now that would be too much of a compromise.

I have noticed a disappointing trend with BB's in terms of handset quality and lack of a good browser. Who knows what the impact will be on RIM as they are so large and have had the lead for some time. Now that they have targeted the consumer the game has changed. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up with consumer expectations.

As far as Apple? well Apple is Apple. A company that takes a totally different approach in the way they do things. It will be interesting to see how they fare as well.

Google is the giant that could spoil the party once they are up to speed. One thing is for sure, there is a rapidly changing dynamic in the smartphone arena and plenty of competition. Time will tell.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    well that's interesting. and it also just confirms the idea that RIM is targeting consumers. what would a business person need a video game on their phone for?

i have not had a chance to play with the storm 2, but i truly hope it's a HUGE improvement over the first version. everyone i know that got one ditched it pretty quickly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12