Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

when is rim going to step up to the plate and give us an actual ... General Blackberry forum

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4

when will RIM step up their game?

Advertisement

when is rim going to step up to the plate and give us an actual new phone with new features that people want to use and switch to blackberry for? other than the storm, they have not really released anything new or exciting in a few years now. i'm a relatively new bb user, only been on the devices for about three years now. i have had a pearl, a curve and now a bold. to be honest, there's not that much different from my original pearl to my current 9000. i'm trying to figure out why.

is it that RIM is so convinced that they have a stronghold over the enterprise market that they aren't worried about people leaving (even though they are leaving for iphones in greater numbers than expected)? are they convinced that people are so loyal to bb that they'll buy whatever's out and be happy? are they not understanding the market for the consumer? what is it?????

RIM appears to basically be taking the same phones and just repackaging them as "new" models with slight upgrades and throwing a new number on them. not impressive. nicer screens, great. how about new apps? where are those? and what about giving us some new features on these new phones? even the new 5.0 os isn't impressive from what i've seen. we have a beta version on one of the bolds, and from what i've seen with it, this should not be a 5.0 release, there's not enough different. it should be a 4.8 or something. moving to 5.0 implies a major change in the os, and that just isn't there. now it's only a beta, but i don't expect the full release to be that much different.

i was thinking of upgrading to the 9700 when it's finally released, but the more i think about it, the more of a waste it seems. woohoo a touch pad. and? you want me to pay what, $400 for a touch pad? when my current bold is basically the same thing? not gonna happen.

RIM needs to do something major if they're going to continue to compete in the consumer smart phone market. their phones have gotten boring. it's the same thing over and over. it's not fun or interesting anymore. give us something new will you? i've gotten so bored with the current bb lines that i actually have contemplated moving to another smart phone, just for a new experience. and for me that's a big deal. i LOVE my bb. but after three years of the same thing i'm pretty bored with it.

am i completely off base here or does anyone else feel the same

*this came about as i was playing with a friend's droid tonight and realized just how boring and slow my bb is compared to what's out there and availible now.

paulypaul no está en línea Stack level 3
    i agree and disagree with you.

at the end of the day RIM puts out a solid reliable product.

but I do get the impression they are resting on their laurels, just a little bit. but I think there is a reason for it.
    They tried to go after the iphone crowd with the storm and I don't think it went very well. to compensate, RIM will continue to put out a solid product because they know they will continue to get new and return customers.

Rim is losing overall market share to iphone, but RIM's sales continue to grow. You can still make money winning battles, and not the whole war.

my only beef with RIM is that I wish they would put out more RIM authored Themes.

and at the further end of the day, its just a smart phone. Voice, Data, sms, email, scheduling, and a cheap camera.

if you want something more exciting, get a pet or a take up skydiving.
    Last edited by paulypaul; 11-09-2009 at 12:47 AM.

mikerizzo no está en línea Stack level 2
    My Bold has been messing up lately, keeps rebooting on its own, freezes up, sometimes goes super slow...

I've had to do about 20 battery pulls this week ...

If OS 5.0 doesnt fix these problems im jumping ship to the iphone.

labevlol no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    BREEEEEE
    Along with paulypaul RIM is so so.
    I left bb after about three years for iphone. The iphone was cool at first but in the long run its speed just wasn't there. The touch screen looks cool, but once again speed just isn't there(email is icky). Android ui was awesome. I wasn't super familiar with it so it took a bit of learning. In the end touch screen failed again(mytouch3g). Here I am with an 8520 and loving it. (had 8100,8310,8900,iphone 2g, my touch 3g, iphone 3g, now 8520) Rim for sure releases basically the same handsets over and over with tiny upgrades-- although i do love the track pad over the trackball. IMO this is RIM stepping it up (unfortunately) I have made the switch but honestly can't see myself using anything but a BB. Will I ever buy another phone besides a BB? Probably. In the end RIM will lose lots of customers to iphone and android but will always have my business. just my two

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    I agree with the original thread. Between the Bold, Javelin, Tour and the 9700, nothing has changed. The trackpad is the only thing. I know the Tour is CDMA but 4 phones released as "new" gets annoying. The iphone 3G and 3GS are two different phones because the 3GS is upgraded. Better speed can be seen. However, the Bold is still faster than the Javelin and the Tour. The Tour also had a 50% return rate after its first quarter. So why release a device with so many issues (as well as the Storm 1)? I can see people jumping to other devices, most stay because of bbm or lack of knowledge about other smartphones outside of BlackBerry and iPhone (or they are victims of propaganda). I stay because I've had a BlackBerry for several years and have just grown accustomed. It was before the massive rush of smartphones. I think RIM is losing ground to other devices so they are just flooding the market. I think they should take a year to make a solid device, like the iphone did. There's no point in making new phones with less than what the previous phone has. You can see this in the Bold and Javelin having wifi and the Tour not having it (nor the Storm 1). I haven't tried many androids but I'll have to venture out. Simply put, the Storm 2 is the last chance I'm giving RIM and then I'll probably look into other devices. In the meantime, I'll look into the 9700. Just my 2 cents... RIM STEP UP ALREADY!!! FYI I know the Storm 2 is out already but I live in Canada so we're last to get new devices
    Last edited by smooth10; 11-09-2009 at 10:30 AM.

RIM makes a solid device in the sense that it does what it says it will do. but the build quality of their phones is terrible. i would not call a bb a reliable phone in any sense of the word.

although i would consider jumping to a different platform, that platform would not ever be an iphone. i have and ipod touch and it's great as a toy, but as a daily use phone it would drive me insane. plus there are many limitations to it, it's really not as great as everyone wants it to be. yes it's new and different, but people love it because it's apple, not because of what the phone actually is. the same actually is true for bb, people like them for what they are.

i just hope that RIM wakes up sometime in the near future and relizes that they can't keep doing this to their customers, as eventually they will leave.

and to paulypaul - i have a zoo of animals and already tried skydiving, doesn't make my phone any more useful or interesting.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    It sure is an interesting topic, I tent to agree with psi. I've never understood it either. If RIM had never introduced the first Pearl I may not feel this way but that model phone changed things by offering more. It brought over a new type of BB user and they have not been able to keep that user nor offer anything new. The younger generation and those who chose the BB for anything other than email have been frustrated and often jumping ship for other devices that offer more. Actually email is considered archaic in many ways and no longer the preferred method of communication. (<-- Another thread topic). People are using so many more ways to communicate other than email. Push email is old news, instant this or instant that coms in many forms now. RIM does email great but so do others and it's an after thought. The first thoughts are FB, Twitter and other Social Media Apps. I posted this before here "RIM delivers the same tired package in new hardware and people are starting to catch on. They release new devices but with old technology or features that were offered is previous models. RIM is going through hardware like crazy yet fails to deliver on the things that everyone wants. I wish they would put it all in each new model and stop insulting their customers".

Android v2.0 and v3.0 will kill WinMo and take customers away from RIM in 2010. (My Prediction). It's natural for Smartphone users to want more and be able to do the same thing so many others are doing.

btompkins0112 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I disagree totally. If you want a toy get an iPhone.......it had 100,000 redundant, oftentimes foolish apps that do nothing except fart or call someone a douchebag. The BlackBerry is a device in the true sense of the word, it was created for business people, and is services the needs of business people better then ANY other device.

I tried the iPhone for 2 weeks, and it did nothing but frusterate the mess out of me, hinder me from receiving important emails, and generally disrupt my ability to do my job.

This is obviously a case of "opinions are like *******s.....everyone has one, and they all stink", but I am going to state mine. Every time RIM comes out with a new phone I find another reason to upgrade for the following reasons:

1. Processor speed upgrades. Rim upgraded the processors for the Bold and Bold 2.
    2. Touchpad. HUGE upgrade to eliminate the only build quality issues RIM ever had! (Trackball)

I would also say that email is still the preferred communication for ALL business people. I think RIM would be remiss to attempt to chase the TEEN crowd, leave that to the featurephones. There is a market for their devices, you may not be in that market......so don't get one.

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    Why do things need to change? What they need to do is make a phone that works all the time. I loved my old 7520. I don't need a phone with fast internet I need a phone that I can get my email on when it should be. I don't need a phone that would fit in my breast pocket I need a phone with a battery that lasts all day long and I don't have to pull the battery everyday to keep it working right. Make a phone like you use to for the business folks that want emails and make it work, if after that you want to try and please those young people out there with internet, facebook app's and stuff like that okay. But you are lossing the ones that got you started and helped you to grow in the beginning.

btompkins and bmanley....you guys are missing the point. the new bb's that are being released are not being marketed for business users, they are aiming at the personal user. and those users are being disappointed. business will only get you so far, the consumer market is MUCH bigger than corporate and if RIM wants to stay in that game they need to do something. they have their dedicated corporate phones, but the new phones on the market are not geared toward the business user, they're for the personal user. and those phones are disappointing to say the least.

yes, email is important, but i completely agree with srl, it's not people's primary means of communication anymore. for business, yes, but not for the average user.

when RIM released the pearl they opened up the doors to an entirely new class of customers, mainly the consumer. and those customers are not happy anymore. honestly if it wasn't for the ease of email and bbm i would have left bb already. bbm is mostly what's keeping me on it. the other smartphones that are out there are much more powerful in terms of customizabilty and available utilities, which is what the consumer wants. i can't even change the theme on my bb without it seriously slowing down the phone, which already isn't so quick. it's frustrating.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I completely agree psi chick. I have used a BB since the 950 which happened to be the ONLY BB I have NOT had to replace (All of my BB's have been for personal use only). The 8120 was my last BB until I see something truly new from RIM. I almost considered the 8220 flip because I have never had a flip phone. I have been looking at the same user interface (only updated by themes and slightly better icons starting with the 7100t) since I got the 7730.

@ mikerizzo: I feel your pain. I got sick and tired of the crashes, battery pulls, freezes, low memory, and physical device problems amounting to 13 BB's (6 different models), in 6 years. In fact, I was so frustrated when I had to replace my 8120 that I asked if I could get another phone instead of the replacement 8120 I was sent (I couldn't get another device because I hadn't had 2 of them yet). That's how bad it's gotten for me.

I have been looking at the following messaging phones: LG Xenon, LG enV3 (I most likely will end up with this one), Pantech Matrix Pro (IF I can get confirmation that this phone will be upgradable to anything beyond WM 6.1), HTC Touch Pro 2 or the Samsung Gravity 2. I'm currently using a Sidekick 3 for the final 4 months of my current contract with T-Mo, and I'm running from both due to the issues I've had since I signed up back in 2003. I may be moving to Verizon, and when I listed my requirements for a new phone, this is what I posted as one of those requirements:

"New to the boards here. Might be switching to Verizon soon. Can someone recommend a phone for me that meets the following: I DO NOT want another BlackBerry (had my share of constant problems with them on T-Mobile)."
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 11-10-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I agree with psi. I am getting so tired of the same old thing over and over again. There is nothing to look forward with the new models coming out. I feel I got the best with the bold, yea the bold 2 is coming out, but more memory, better screen, and a trackpad doesn't make me want to spend 450 dollars for a new phone. There is no innovation from RIM that makes me excited anymore.

RIM needs to improve the browser experience and the whole OS is just uninspiring already. I would love to stay with RIM if they could ever improve on these things.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/09/r...ment-platform/

Looks like BB is addressing some concerns. Note that there is work being done as far a theme and app development.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Yeah now I am rethinking my decision....GRRRRR so many phones out LOL I'm looking at the 9700, 8900, 8820, 8220 Flip (or 8230 if I switch to CDMA) and the 8520 now. IF I give BB another try (even if on another carrier), it would have to step up the game in on-board memory and processor (to avoid the hourglass), media (updated media player), messaging (threaded text, IM, social networking, etc). I have a classmate who just bought the 8900 and that's what made me rethink my decision to leave the platform altogether.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast