Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EXCLUSIVE: AT&T neuters the BlackBerry 8820 in favor of the iPhone Posted Aug 16, 07 ... General Blackberry forum

Blkberryman no está en línea Stack level 2

What The?

Advertisement

EXCLUSIVE: AT&T neuters the BlackBerry 8820 in favor of the iPhone

Posted Aug 16, 07 at 10:55 am by Douglas Soltys in Rumors, News | Comments [58]
    Wow. I must say, this is probably the biggest piece of news we’ve ever broken here at BlackBerry Cool — and possibly the one that’s made us the angriest. We’ve just received word from one of our friends inside AT&T that the US carrier has been successful in their attempts to lockdown the GPS functionality in their upcoming BlackBerry 8820 so that the only functioning 3rd party software will be TeleNav.
    First, this is a major piss off to AT&T customers looking to get their hands on the BlackBerry 8820 mid-September, but what’s more important is why AT&T chose to do this. Apparently - and remember, this is coming from someone inside AT&T - the carrier didn’t want to launch a device that would seem superior (or be competitive) to the iPhone. Sounds a little crazy, until you realize that a GPS/Wi-Fi’d device with push email and no funny-texting touch screen that’s subsidized in price sounds a bit more appealing than a $500 device that enterprise customers can’t use.
    We’ve been told that RIM was apparently livid over the decision (and with good reason), but AT&T basically said “do it or we won’t buy the 8820 or any future devices from you” and RIM backed down. Our AT&T informant also said that this was a call made by top RIM/AT&T brass, which sheds new light on Jim Balsillie’s statement that the carriers are one of RIM’s three masters.

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Re: What The F#@%k?

That doesn't sound like good business practice. Loyalty doesn't equal profit!
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

LOL, you gotta love AT&T

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Re: What The?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ man I'm glad I'm in AUS! No AT&T here!

Blkberryman no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs down Re: What The?

I used to work for em, they were always doing questionable sh*t.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

WOW! That's wild. There's a bit of flattery if what was said holds true, "the carrier didn’t want to launch a device that would seem superior (or be competitive) to the iPhone.".

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Ranz no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

I'm pretty sure there was some type of contract involved with apple. Thats too bad definitely wanted to get that phone one day or the newer version of it!

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

i've said all along, i would probably get the iphone if i was already on att (instead of my current carrier, tmo). but, i never wanted to pay the higher phone and data rates (on tmo, i have 1000 anytime minutes plus unlimited bb for $60 a month). now, with shady (yet not unexpected) backroom deals like this, i guarantee you att will never see a penny from me.

maybe in 5 years, after the att/apple exclusivity deal is over, i might look at a 3rd gen iphone. but, for now: you can have my blackberry pearl when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!
    2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2.
    - Grabel's Law

pearl-8100 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    245ac9c6

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~wow. That sucks for some att customers

BBATT no está en línea Stack level 2

ROFL from what some people say the razr is better than the iphone.and i have a question why dosnt pinstack have spell check i suck at spelling?

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

^^We do our best but we can't have everything
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187
    LOL, you gotta love AT&T
    Not to mention RIM for not having any balls. Do they really think that at&t would be able to drop Blackberries entirely if RIM didn't play along?

antx16 no está en línea Stack level 3

AT&T kills GPS in Blackberry

DEEP THROATS within AT&T claim that the outfit has killed off the GPS functionality in its upcoming BlackBerry 8820 to prop up its Iphone sales. According to Blackberry Cool, AT&T wants to make sure that the only functioning 3rd party software which can run on the hardware will be TeleNav.
    An AT&T Deep Throat told Blackberry Cool, that the carrier didn’t want to launch a cheaper device that would be superior to the more expensive Iphone.
    AT&T executives were a little nervous when they realised that they would be selling a cheaper GPS/Wi-Fi’d device with push email and no touch screen.
    The new Blackberry was being targeted at the Corporate market, one that Apple would dearly love to enter, but says it has no plans to do so at the moment.
    One would think that RIM would be suing someone into a coma for anti-trust activities. :cry:

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6

Re: AT&T kills GPS in Blackberry

Quote Originally Posted by antx16
    One would think that RIM would be suing someone into a coma for anti-trust activities. :cry:
    Give them time. If AT&T is in fact crippling GPS in the BB to make the iPhone a more attractive option, someone will find out about it for sure.

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Re: AT&T kills GPS in Blackberry

The Telenav does work nicely though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast