Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where lies the problem of blackberry's inability to connect through the oridnary 3G network? I ... General Blackberry forum

szefte no está en línea Stack level 1

What is technically preventing blackberry from using 'normal' 3g?

Advertisement

Where lies the problem of blackberry's inability to connect through the oridnary 3G network?
    I am rising this issue asi in UK on Vodafone network you can get (1 month) free 3G video streaming with no 3g data counter ticking (does 8707v supporty it at all?) I just would like to try it. I am not going to subscribe to 12month contract for this...

Karpfish24 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243fd52f

Re: What is technically preventing blackberry from using 'normal' 3g?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~The phone needs a different chip to be able to connect a 3G network. No Blackberry to date has one. The big thing I thing is that it sucks battery power, the same reason Steve Jobs had for bot putting it in the iPhone. However, RIM executives have said a 3G Blackberry is in the works. So, your 8707 doesn't support it.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

The 8707v is UMTS compatible and, IIRC, UMTS is regarded as 3G. People tend to assume that HSPDA is the only 3G tech out there when there are really several.

Well...if it is compatible why does it need a data plan?. Anyway i still don't seem to get it why people call value for money - normally i live in Poland, where unlimited Plus 3G network offers unlimited internet acces from 17$ and the sole blackberry 'internet service' (with 6mB of internet in it....how pathetic) costs 20$ and you still 'pay as you go'.on top of that not mentioning 12month contract. No offence but this whole blackberry experienc is just s...

Just think abuot it - With e61 wchich is a normal 3G phone you can use as pay as you go [that I prefer for my own reasons] and with pay as you go 3G internet for 10mB / 1USD [an unbeatanle price] there is no way a fancy data plan that it is just a very cunning way for them to make you pay for what you get as standard in any other phone is worth the effort. How about E61 with 3g a camera, mp3 and gps? Now you've got 8707, 8300, 8800 combined. Why bother with the Blackberry....seriously

rokinDa8703e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

1: pay as you go is dumb, who has time to bother with phone cards and minutes blah?

2: blackberry internet service is not just displaying web sites and watching stupid videos on youtube, its for push mail and all of the services blackberrys have

3: "3g" would currently be pointless on a blackberry as it would drain battery life and bbs can't do youtube and tv clips anyway which is the only reason you want it

4: blackberry dosnt support it because there is no real market demand for it

5: html email is not supported because it presents a security risk which is exactly the opposite of what the bb is designed for

6: blackberrys are NOT laptops, the sooner all you people who think they are can figure this out and get it into your head the better off you will be! If you want something go drop 2000 on a UMPC and use skype to make your phone calls

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99

The iphone doesn't even have 3g... and it is a multimedia phone. Most of us don't use our blackberry's as a mobile internet for entertainment. There is a reason blackberry's are so popular in the business world, because they are mainly a business phone with a few newer features to appeal to consumers who don't need the phone for business.

1.rokinDa8703e: Thanks for your (dumb) opinion.

2.I really like the way you all buy this crap they are selling to you.
    See, Rim is a bunch of clever guys who invented a cheap technically stagnated phone [that the call a wireless device - pity it does not have wireles lan though)
    and made it impossible to use without paying at least 30$ to enable what every single phone [even iphone being another device made by cunning people for the DUMB ones] gives you you a as standard.

3.I get the impression that some people think having a blackberry makes you a proffesional...

4.Html is as dangerous as drinking tap water, but you propably don't do it and get Dansai insetad

5.As I said before I am on prepaid because of my own reasons and thank you mister smart guy for your useless opinion about it.
    Honestly free tv streaming and 10mB per 1USD data rate on pay as you go... how much do you pay for your 6mb of email? 30USD?
    you tell me who is on a dumb price plan...
    Last edited by szefte; 07-15-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

szefte, it sounds to me you don't have any need for the Blackberry at all, you don't like the limits, and you don't want to pay for the services required to use the unique services it provides. If you're so enamoured with the sevice other devices provide, why not just buy one.

Confused as to why you're still using a BB
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

I only bought it last week and it is right about time to get rid of it.

PIN/ID
    241ECE99

If you don't have a use for secure push e-mail and you just want another multimedia device, there are plunty out there. To me 3g isn't that important since I don't have 3g coverage in my area anyways!

Well I'm a stock broker and need the news via 3G wchich is quite handy must admit.

By the way there is still no answer to my (subject) question

PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    there is nothing prevent it other than the hardware is not currently on the phones. I am sure you will see it with the next few models

rokinDa8703e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

If you dislike blackberry so much why make an account on a blackberry forum with a question that can't be fixed

Why even go through the trouble of having one?

Take it back and be done with it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast