Several programs have been mentioned as not supporting the bb access point and consequently removed ... General Blackberry forum

stuka no está en línea Stack level 3

What is the Blackberry Access Point?

Advertisement

Several programs have been mentioned as not supporting the bb access point and consequently removed beasuse it. What is this access point and how does it affect programs like opera mini and Mobipocket reader?
    Thanks

Djmarbll no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219C9716

Wonder how my carrier uscellular handles this.
    Thanks

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    wow where do you live? upper mid west? i heard us cellular is a very weak carrier

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    The "BlackBerry access point" is your default Internet settings, which forces all data (sent AND received) to be provided by and sent via Research in Motion's (RIM's) servers - almost all applications for BlackBerry OS will utilize this for any online connectivity they require, though I am told the software developer must first apply to RIM for permission to use this...

Some applications however, are unable to use this because the software developer either hasn't applied to RIM for permission to use this, or they have applied and been rejected.

In such cases, the only alternative for an application is to use a service provider's access point (Internet settings), which is rarely pre-configured when you buy your device...

Just be aware that most service providers (particularly those outside of North America and Canada) will usually charge you EXTRA for using their access point, and data sent/received via a service provider's access point is rarely included in the "unlimited Internet" component of your service plan, if you are in fact on an "unlimited Internet" service plan.

Unless the software developer has specified otherwise (EXTREMELY rare), BlackBerry software will ALWAYS try to use the BlackBerry access point before using a service provider's access point...

This information ONLY applies to BlackBerry Individual Solution (BIS) users - it does NOT apply to BlackBerry Enterprise Solution (BES) users because you use your BES Internet connection for ALL Internet connectivity...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

thanks for the valuable input. IM new to teh bb platform these last several months and its a new learning curve after win mobile platforms Ive used.

PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Yeah, I've been using Microsoft Windows Mobile-based devices since Microsoft Windows CE 1.1 (the operating system Windows Mobile is directly based on, and the first version for the Western World) and whilst I will likely always keep a Windows Mobile-based device close-by, I've grown quite accustomed to my first BlackBerry device (a BlackBerry Curve 8300), which I now use as my primary device...

I'm still not convinced to completely ditch Windows Mobile, but I am highly impressed with the alternative.

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    ehhhh windows mobile is sooo blah now a days idk it just doesnt do it for me anymore

PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    I have to agree with you there - whilst it still offers significantly more functionality than a BlackBerry, Windows Mobile just doesn't do "it" for me anymore...

I dunno, Windows Mobile does a lot of stuff, but little of it well - BlackBerry does a LOT less, but what it DOES do, it does almost perfectly.

We're getting off-topic here, but if you ask me, Microsoft's problem is that they're trying "too hard" to be the ultimate device...

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    no the problem is i dont think microsoft knows what beta testing mean