And should I make sure they are allowed in my setting? Seems to make pages ... General Blackberry forum

lovellbird no está en línea Stack level 3

what is a style sheet?

Advertisement

And should I make sure they are allowed in my setting? Seems to make pages take longer to load in my browser.

Lovellbird

msbrenda64 no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: what is a style sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by lovellbird
    And should I make sure they are allowed in my setting? Seems to make pages take longer to load in my browser.

Lovellbird
    This is what I found, hope it's helpful! You should enable it if you will be accessing sites that require it. It does slow down your loading of pages if it is enabled.

What are style sheets?

Style sheets describe how documents are presented on screens, in print, or perhaps how they are pronounced. W3C has actively promoted the use of style sheets on the Web since the Consortium was founded in 1994. The Style Activity has produced several W3C Recommendations (CSS1, CSS2, XPath, XSLT). CSS especially is widely implemented in browsers.

By attaching style sheets to structured documents on the Web (e.g. HTML), authors and readers can influence the presentation of documents without sacrificing device-independence or adding new HTML tags.

The easiest way to start experimenting with style sheets is to find a browser that supports CSS. Discussions about style sheets are carried out on the www-style@w3.org mailing list and on comp.­infosystems.­www.­authoring.­stylesheets.
    The W3C Style Activity is also developing XSL, which consists of a combination of XSLT and “Formatting Objects” (XSL-FO).

This is the link http://www.w3.org/Style/

lovellbird no está en línea Stack level 3

~~Posted via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~~
    Wow! That is a lot to digest today

Thank you Brenda-I just disabled style sheets. It was fine without them on the places I like to go

Thanks!

Lovellbird

digitalslack no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23D1981A

Probably the best thing is to leave them disabled.
    Style sheets simply control different display attributes for a website.
    I do a fair amount of web site design and I have found that BB's render stylesheets differently from a PC depending on how the CSS was designed.
    If someone used a simple stylesheet on a website when they created it then there's a good chance your BB will render that website correclty and you'll be able to navigate and use the page without problems. But if the designer used advanced CSS then there is a greater liklyhood that your BB will render something incorrectly. This might prevent you from using the page at all.
    Enabling style sheets, as stated before does slow down everything.
    In addition to that I'm not 100% sure if BB is W3C compliant when it comes to how it renders stylesheets. I'd assume they aren't. I program in w3c compliance when i do CSS and most of my websites look funky on my BB if i enable Stylesheets.
    hope that helps

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Sometimes I find that certain websites look better with style sheets off. And some look better (or function better) with them in Handheld mode. Rarely do they work well in Screen mode, usually the fonts are huge and they look cluttered. I mostly leave mine off for speed of loading pages.