Hey everyone I have been booting around here for a bit. Let me say that ... General Blackberry forum

fishguyis no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2058AB73

Question What do y'all think of this...

Advertisement

Hey everyone I have been booting around here for a bit. Let me say that this site is amazing!!!

I live in the Toronto area and I am with Rogers ( my wife and I are on a family plan), I called up Telus today to see what they could offer me if I were to switch, as Rogers data plans are bloody expensive and i would like a Perl. Long story short, Telus offered me;

-Their newest version of the Blackberry for $99 (similar to the Pearl as far as I know)
    -a 4meg data plan for the same price as the 1/2 meg plan I am on now ($25)
    -their $10 spark plan free for the full 3 year term
    -no programming fees
    -instead of $35 activation fee it would be $15 per phone
    -the first 3 months I would get 50% off my bill and my wife would get a free flip phone (she is not picky about which one)
    The plan would be their "share" plan which is very similar to Rogers "family plan"
    So in total not a bad offer... the catch is that I would have to cancel my account with Rogers costing me $200 per phone.

I called up Rogers and told them what Telus offered me and they countered with a Pearl for $99 and 3 months unlimited data (capped at 25megs). After the 3 months are up I would call in to them and let them know which data plan I would like to go on and they would either dicount it or if I were to take the $60 plan which gives 25 megs, for $65 they would double the data to 50megs (which is weird as they cap the unlimited plan at 25megs). I don't need a huge amount of data but 1/2 a megs is SOO limiting!!!

If I were to go with Rogers deal, I have a BB 7130g that has been used for around 8 months that I would like to sell, honestly if I could get a good amount for the 7130, I would seriously consider just taking Rogers deal (anyone interested in an excellent condition 7130g)

Opinions??

Thanks in advance as I know this is a longer post. :-)

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: What do y'all think of this...

Fishguyis, I don't use either Rogers or Telus, so I can't really help you on the carrier. I guess the choice comes down to whether or not you want the new BB. If service on the 2 carriers is comparable, I say go for the new BB. If Rogers is better, you probably want to stick it out with them until they get the new BB. Just my 2cents.

PIN/ID
    2058AB73

Thumbs up Re: What do y'all think of this...

ljbyar,

Thanks for the responce, IMO Rogers has better service phone wise. I would really love to get the Pearl, I have no complaints at all about the 7130G, I am the kinda guy who likes the best of the best (just didn't want to pay for it LOL).

Maybe I will put an add on this site and see of anyone wants to buy my 7130G.

Cheers!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I do not live in Canada, but after reading your post, I would advise you to go with the deal with Telus. I have heard many complaints about Rogers charging insane amounts of money for capped data usage. The only thing I see happening is you might be able to get the Rogers data at the Telus price. Negotiate and find out what you get.

Yclif no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2051259D

Hey Fishguyis, I'm in Toronto as well, also with Rogers, and you guessed it, no data plan for me due to the very expensive (and un-yielding I might say) data plans from Rogers. I tried several times calling and meeting one on one with sales reps and honestly there is no change coming soon to their rates. By the way, the $60 for 25Megs and "for 5 dollars more you get 50!!" is normal so you are not really getting a special deal. same goes for the three months unlimited tryout, anything to get you to sign. The only positive I see of you going with Rogers is them offering you the new Blackberry 8800. a beautiful thing by the way (however, no wifi and no camera capabilities on it, but coming soon on the 8830).

So that's my view on Robbers, I mean Rogers. but in all fairness the network is very good and reliable and I never had issues with that. I've never been with Telus but I heard the water is not so smooth concerning their network. The Telus plan does sound a bit better, 4 megs is a lot better than 1/2 a meg, but also not much action in their special package.

Personally, for me, its not enough to make me jump ship simply because my whole house is Rogers (LOL), my internet, cable, phone, cell phone is all bundled into one package with the usual bundle discount.(--- people this is how monopoly looks like).

Final verdict. if you have the $65 to spare stick with Rogers. If you want to stick it to the man I admire your bravery sir, you are a stronger man than I am.

Regards,

PIN/ID
    2051259D

hello again, I just noticed they offered you the pearl and not the 8800. This is still very good, I have the Pearl and very happy with it, not upgrading any time soon, ... but see if they can upgrade that for you and get the 8800 instead,

now that would be sticking it .

PIN/ID
    2058AB73

Quote Originally Posted by Yclif
    hello again, I just noticed they offered you the pearl and not the 8800. This is still very good, I have the Pearl and very happy with it, not upgrading any time soon, ... but see if they can upgrade that for you and get the 8800 instead,

now that would be sticking it .
    Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

I checked out the 8800 and the GPS is a nice feature, but I do like the pearl cause of the multimedia and the slim design. Is there any other major reason to try and go for the 8800 over the Pearl?

I am now just getting used to the sure type (I have always had the full QWERTY keyboard on my last 2 BB's) so that doesn't bother me (neither does the size as the other 2 BB's I had were "full size".

Thanks!

PIN/ID
    2051259D

Last edited by Yclif; 03-15-2007 at 02:36 PM.

PIN/ID
    2058AB73

Yclif, thanks VERY much for the info it did help.

I think I will go for the $99 Pearl as I really do like the features. Plus I also have cable and internet through Rogers.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by fishguyis

I think I will go for the $99 Pearl as I really do like the features. Plus I also have cable and internet through Rogers.
    Good luck Fishguyis! I think you'll really enjoy your Pearl!

PIN/ID
    2058AB73

Quote Originally Posted by ljbyar
    Good luck Fishguyis! I think you'll really enjoy your Pearl!
    Thanks!! I am going to order it tomorrow (much to my wife's displeasure hehe she wants my 7130g sold before I get the Pearl). Not gonna happen!!! I am impatient!!

PIN/ID
    2051259D

Quote Originally Posted by fishguyis

Any time Fishguyis. HA HA, your wife does not know what she is up against, the pearl is going to get you hooked.

Keep checking this site for more info regarding troubleshooting, media, applications, and themes (best ever, email me for some suggestions )

again, good luck and have fun.

mporrov no está en línea Stack level 1

Hey Fishguyis,

i think you made the right choice in going with Rogers. I look at it the technical way. GSM is Global. you can take your Rogers Pearl with you anywhere whereas the Telus phones are limited to Canada and USA. Rogers is definitely clearer and more reliable and it can only get better. There are numerous amounts of things you can do with your Rogers phone like use mp3's as ringtones and upload games and pics into it etc. Telus limits these kinds of things. You would have to download ringtones, wallpapers, games etc from their site which of course makes them money. In my eyes the data system for Telus and Bell are not as robust and well equipped as Rogers' data network is.

My 2 cents

Mo

PIN/ID
    2058AB73

Quote Originally Posted by Yclif
    Any time Fishguyis. HA HA, your wife does not know what she is up against, the pearl is going to get you hooked.

Keep checking this site for more info regarding troubleshooting, media, applications, and themes (best ever, email me for some suggestions )

again, good luck and have fun.
    LOL Yclif, nope she has no idea. I can't be without my Berry! At my last job they gave me a 7250, when I left there, I DID NOT want to go to a regular phone. Lucky for me a client had the 7130g that they wanted to get rid of (upgraded to a Pearl).

I am constantly going thru this site to get info on what I can do with the Pearl. Thanks for the offer of help, I am sure I will send an email or 2 to get some help

PIN/ID
    2058AB73

Quote Originally Posted by mporrov
    Hey Fishguyis,

i think you made the right choice in going with Rogers. I look at it the technical way. GSM is Global. you can take your Rogers Pearl with you anywhere whereas the Telus phones are limited to Canada and USA. Rogers is definitely clearer and more reliable and it can only get better. There are numerous amounts of things you can do with your Rogers phone like use mp3's as ringtones and upload games and pics into it etc. Telus limits these kinds of things. You would have to download ringtones, wallpapers, games etc from their site which of course makes them money. In my eyes the data system for Telus and Bell are not as robust and well equipped as Rogers' data network is.

My 2 cents

Mo
    Mo,

Thats the other main reason I wanted to stick with Rogers (the flexability of downloads and multi-media). I really have had NO issues with the cell service, I have had probs with my account, but with a level head and some patience, the customer care centre has treated me pretty well.

Thanks for your response!
    Last edited by fishguyis; 03-16-2007 at 09:36 AM.