I am having problems with my 9700 and the screen going white. However, the metal ... General Blackberry forum

plucks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2180BB67

What constitues physical damage?

Advertisement

I am having problems with my 9700 and the screen going white.
    However, the metal frets on the keypad have cracked in identital locations on each end (which i think is common with this style keypad) from normal typing. Will they reject a warranty replacement b/c of these cracks? the rest of the phone is in superb condition.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    How long have you had the device? Doesn't sound normal for those to crack from normal use.

PIN/ID
    2180BB67
    had it for around 2 months.
    I have researched that the metal frets cracking are more common than one would think. It's right at where they angle back down where it cracks. Seems like a design flaw to me since they're "floating" not solid to the substrate of the keypad

Wow, that doesn't sound normal to me. I would say that should be a warranty issue, although I recently had to fight to get my 9700 replaced because the DEL key popped out. They told me it was "physical damage" and an insurance issue, not a warranty issue. This is with AT&T. Took it into a store and the manager swapped it out for me.

I've had my device for the same amount of time.

PIN/ID
    2180BB67
    yeah, i agree it shouldn't be happening and it's completely bizzare, but the fact of the matter is fingers don't always press on the button, so if any pressure is applied to these frets, it can easily happen. I love gear & technology, and don't abuse any device b/c i have to work to afford anything - so why ruin what i've worked for!
    you can actually look at an angle into the keypad and see where they are supported going across the body. It's not consistent, which creates weak spots, hence cracking.

My store wont do anything b/c its over 30 days....

Quote Originally Posted by plucks View Post
    I am having problems with my 9700 and the screen going white.
    However, the metal frets on the keypad have cracked in identital locations on each end (which i think is common with this style keypad) from normal typing. Will they reject a warranty replacement b/c of these cracks? the rest of the phone is in superb condition.
    I'm thinking the best way to find out if they will give you a warranty replacement is to try.

PIN/ID
    2180BB67
    yep, i am hoping the new phone will be here today or tomorrow...get rid of the white screen issue. It would just suck to have a few hundred dollar bill b/c of the metal frets.