Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I was surprised the two times I went back to it after having problems with ... General Blackberry forum

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Advertisement

I was surprised the two times I went back to it after having problems with my Pearl but I need the portability and WiFi signal so I can still go online even with low signal. If a SK gets WiFi, then there may be some competition.

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    send me her sidekick and I'll send over a bb LOL
    www.bbmchat.com sign up today!! come follow me at www.twitter.com/bbmchat and win free blackberry of your choice and cash 1st 1,000 members. spread the word.

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    The SideKick IS a nice QWERTY phone IF Danger ever got their heads out of the sand and worked on the signal and device issues a little more instead of producing more and more devices.
    Well future devices should improve slightly in the future, in all aspects - Microsoft recently bought-out Danger, including the rights to the HipTop/SideKick...

~ Posted wirelessly from my BlackBerry 8800 (http://wap.pinstack.com) ~

PIN/ID
    LESS
    You gotta agree with Cyba on this one. maybe Microsoft will perfect the SideKick series

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    As a device, I actually kinda like the SideKick/HipTop series...

I find the design, intriguing - I probably wouldn't buy a (future model) HipTop/SideKick as my primary device, but possibly as a secondary device, just for fun...

However, the operating system doesn't really do it for me, and the build quality is a joke (I saw DOZENS of them come back in my time in the telecommunications industry).

Whilst Microsoft Windows Mobile: Professional is not perfect, it's certainly a LOT better than Danger's SideKick OS/HipTop OS, and the devices running Windows Mobile: Professional typically have a much lower return (fault) rate.

There have been unconfirmed rumors that Microsoft may power future HipTop/SideKick devices with a custom version of Windows Mobile, made SPECIFICALLY for SideKick/HipTop devices and the younger age group that they're primarily aimed at (if you ask me, this actually makes a LOT of sense!)...

I shall be watching what Microsoft do with the HipTop/SideKick over the next 12 months or so VERY closely.

D_Town no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I was surprised the two times I went back to it after having problems with my Pearl but I need the portability and WiFi signal so I can still go online even with low signal. If a SK gets WiFi, then there may be some competition.

from a professionals point of view the SK can have wifi up the wazoo and still not be in a league of a blackberry. the apps for bb give it a BUG edge of any SK.

but from a consumer standpoint, i guess maybe they might be interchangeable....but not for me, business wise or consumer wise.
    Last edited by jblackfish; 04-25-2008 at 02:40 PM. Reason: font color - see rules, "Use Color and Fonts Sparingly"

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Quote Originally Posted by CybaCowboy View Post
    As a device, I actually kinda like the SideKick/HipTop series...

I find the design, intriguing - I probably wouldn't buy a (future model) HipTop/SideKick as my primary device, but possibly as a secondary device, just for fun...

However, the operating system doesn't really do it for me, and the build quality is a joke (I saw DOZENS of them come back in my time in the telecommunications industry).

Whilst Microsoft Windows Mobile: Professional is not perfect, it's certainly a LOT better than Danger's SideKick OS/HipTop OS, and the devices running Windows Mobile: Professional typically have a much lower return (fault) rate.

There have been unconfirmed rumors that Microsoft may power future HipTop/SideKick devices with a custom version of Windows Mobile, made SPECIFICALLY for SideKick/HipTop devices and the younger age group that they're primarily aimed at (if you ask me, this actually makes a LOT of sense!)...

I shall be watching what Microsoft do with the HipTop/SideKick over the next 12 months or so VERY closely.

You know it is kinda funny you mentioned that. The reports I read said that MS bought Danger to assist it's own mobile software division since the major problems on the SK's (that we have seen) have not been software but hardware. I am not honestly sure if there will be anymore SK's with the new ownership.

Danger has licensed all manufacturing and design of the SK's to Sharp (with the exception of the slide) who has in turn farmed out the actual manufacturing process to UTStarcom. If you call Danger directly they will tell you they are not involved in any process of design or manufacturing of the hardware. If you call Sharp they will tell you they only have their name on it when it comes to the hardware and will provide no support. UTStarcom will actually help you with hardware issues but it must go back to their plant. The above information was found through calling them on behalf of a customer who got an SK3 secondhand.

As for the slide, that is a complete Motorola design that was manufactured by them with Danger writing the software. My wife has the slide and has been real pleased with it. The biggest problem she has had is the occasional lock up while ending a call (usually when she is checking her voicemail). Other than the failure in the power circuit when they first launched we haven't seen any issues with the units we have sold or seen very many in for service (those we have seen were sat on or got wet).

Zo

http://www.fiercewireless.com/press-...ger-acquistion
    Last edited by Amigotek; 04-25-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Added source for aquisition info.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    guess6556

your avatar=LOL
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12