Hello all, I introduced myself last week as a new BB 8703e owner. I am ... General Blackberry forum

Warpig no está en línea Stack level 1

Webmail vs Enterprise

Advertisement

Hello all, I introduced myself last week as a new BB 8703e owner. I am currently retrieving my work based e-mail through our webmail server which seems towork fine. Are there advantages to using the Enterprise BB software versus webmail?

Thoughts, comments etc welcomed

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Webmail vs Enterprise

Warpig, There are advantages and disadvantages of using BES over BIS. Does your company already have a BES? If not, Are you in your IT department or in company management? It all depends on how much connectivity you need with your company email, contacts, and other PIM information.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

No we do not have BES as of yet, I am the guinea pig. All other smart phone users are not using a BB, we have a single user BES for my phone but since it has been working on the webmail server it wasn't clear regarding BES or no BES. I am a senior engineer, not in IT but we are a very small company and therefor we have a lot of flexibility regarding systems, software etc, the IT manager is cool with experimentation as long as he knows about it. In the case of the webmail server I receive all e-mails but contacts and calendar updates are done via hot sync and if I understand correctly with BES all of this happens automatically. Connectivity is crucial as I never know when the next project or disaster will hit.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

So you "have a single user BES" but "it has been working on the webmail server"? What exactly does that mean? Is the BES software installed on the same server that hosts your webmail or did you actually integrate with BIS via Outlook Web Access?

If you're actually using BES 4 or better you should have wireless sync along with all the other benefits of BES.

Yes we have a single user BES, the BES software is NOT installed on the same server, I integrated BIS via Outlook web access. We plan to load BES this week and give that a try, the CEO, President etc may want to swithc from their Varizon smart phones to BB's if this works well, I love being the guinea pig.