Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have had many phones and been through many unfortunate events with them. My most ... General Blackberry forum

s.donoho no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2453D92

Thumbs up Water Damage Recovery :-)

Advertisement

I have had many phones and been through many unfortunate events with them. My most recent mishap was with my 8310 and a toilet full of (CLEAN *crosses my fingers*) water. I'd accidently done this before and knew exactly what to do.. I immediately removed the back cover, battery, sim card and memory card. As soon as I got home and had let it dry for a couple of hours I tried turning it on and realized the earpiece wasn't working and the phone had a huge lag-time. So as I cried, I again, disassembled my phone and put the motherboard of my phone into a plastic bag with a cup or so of uncooked rice (because it will absorb any/all moisture.) 2 hours later I tried turning it on again and it worked as if nothing had ever happened to it YAYYYY!!!

This "rice trick" isn't limited to just phones, but can work for any electronic device that may have had to battle liquid. I hope this post saves a few devices out there..

I've been asked so here ya go: as for the 3 red X's on the battery.. this is not a water damage indicator. Those X's are there from the very beginning of Battery birth. The water damage indicators (for the at&t curve) is found within the casing of the phone and isn't visible just by removing the battery.

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Glad you got your device working...I save silicon packets. I not only use them for situations like this, but as a preventative measure as. Well. I keep some in my backpack to help keep computer stuff dry.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

lexo no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by s.donoho View Post
    I have had many phones and been through many unfortunate events with them. My most recent mishap was with my 8310 and a toilet full of (CLEAN *crosses my fingers*) water. I'd accidently done this before and knew exactly what to do.. I immediately removed the back cover, battery, sim card and memory card. As soon as I got home and had let it dry for a couple of hours I tried turning it on and realized the earpiece wasn't working and the phone had a huge lag-time. So as I cried, I again, disassembled my phone and put the motherboard of my phone into a plastic bag with a cup or so of uncooked rice (because it will absorb any/all moisture.) 2 hours later I tried turning it on again and it worked as if nothing had ever happened to it YAYYYY!!!

This "rice trick" isn't limited to just phones, but can work for any electronic device that may have had to battle liquid. I hope this post saves a few devices out there..

I've been asked so here ya go: as for the 3 red X's on the battery.. this is not a water damage indicator. Those X's are there from the very beginning of Battery birth. The water damage indicators (for the at&t curve) is found within the casing of the phone and isn't visible just by removing the battery.
    yup this has saved many of my electronics especialy my phones and r/c cars that fall in my pool while racing around it- i do everything the same except that rice thing my method is to immediately remove battery then everything else after i take it completely apart and dip it in alcohol(electronics only) finaly i dry it which is very quick(alcohol evaporates fast) and 99% of the time the stuff works like new! another trick that i learned with water damaged electrics that where not treated quickly was to take apart dip in alcohol and scrub with toothbrush this will remove all the impurities that the water or liquid left behind after it dried i've actualy fixed dead cell's this way (lot's of them) this is the reason why everytime someone says they messed up their phone i ask for it!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by lexo View Post
    yup this has saved many of my electronics especialy my phones and r/c cars that fall in my pool while racing around it- i do everything the same except that rice thing !
    A little trick I learned that saves time, is to fill the pool with rice instead of water. Then you can have races with your friends with no danger of getting your cars wet....

Cheers!

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Other methods for moisture absorbing in an emergency are: Diaper/pad in zip-lock(let me clarify...NOT used.)

sudo no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quite informative...

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    A little trick I learned that saves time, is to fill the pool with rice instead of water. Then you can have races with your friends with no danger of getting your cars wet....

Cheers!
    Not in Southern California, alas... I tried it and ended up with rising, steaming rice pilaf :cry:

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post

Cheers!
    I would think the rice would make for good exercise in the pool.......good strong resistance..........but the rice getting into your swim suit.......that's got to be worse than sand at the beach!!!!!

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    And then you get to act in a film, you are shooting a rain scene, and you realize water doesn't mark film and falling rice is used instead

PIN/ID
    2453D92

Lightbulb

hahaha you all are cracking me up!! Thanks for the alcohol advice.. I'll have to try that next time.

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    Did u eat the rice when u were done? there are starving kids in Africa u know....I just tell em water damage is like cancer, u can't cure it but try to work around it.

PIN/ID
    2453D92
    Quote Originally Posted by Leetneo View Post
    Did u eat the rice when u were done? there are starving kids in Africa u know....I just tell em water damage is like cancer, u can't cure it but try to work around it.
    well of course.. I AM Asian and drive a Honda.. so what I don't eat, I usually drop in the tank. Gas is getting way too high now-a-days

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59
    Quote Originally Posted by s.donoho View Post
    hahaha you all are cracking me up!! Thanks for the alcohol advice.. I'll have to try that next time.
    Actually, though in the past I swore by alcohol as the way to go, for the Pearl, distilled water might just be a better choice. The alcohol will start to break down the seals of the camera lens if it's left on too long, and that justrubbing alcohol. Denatured alcohol (my preference) is even stronger. Distilled water seems to work really well also....
    Hope this helps...

Lunikalm no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    247E1FCE
    Ditto on the alcohol bath. I can't remember how many phones I've fixed like that.

brooke03 no está en línea Stack level 6
    Never heard of the rice trick; I will have to remember that. My sis' (my old) Pearl has been through it all... swimming pools, toilets, cups of coffee... still kickin'!
    /~*brooke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast