If you are looking for a world phone stick to GSM. The CDMA carriers are ... General Blackberry forum

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3

Warning to CDMA users planning on roaming worldwide

Advertisement

If you are looking for a world phone stick to GSM. The CDMA carriers are just starting out in the roaming arena and so far it doesnt look good. I have traveled with lots of friends from the states and canada and no one with GSM has ever had any problems roaming. But the few people I have seen with 8830 have had headache after headache. Not being able to make calls (yes they had international roaming activated), data not working, bad reception... etc.. Most of it has to do with whoever the CDMA carrier signs up as their partner in the roaming country. And from what I have seen they have not been partnering up with the right carriers. They seem to be going with smaller newer, CHEAPER carriers which of course will get you the mentioned problems above.
    I looked at Telus (Canada) international roaming partners and it was a joke.

paullamm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319b4998
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I just added international roam to my Sprint account prior to trip to Mexico. Roaming worked fine. Emails arrived. The service was flawless.

emte no está en línea Stack level 1
    Starting out??

CDMA in canada has been around far longer than GSM, from what I understand Telus bought most of Rogers old CDMA towers. On the west coast Bell rents the Telus towers and in the east Bell owns the towers.

I can not say I've ever had problems roaming in Canada or the US, actually where I live it is an issue and most of the time I have to force my BB to its home network.

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    ???????? talking about worldwide roaming as the title states.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 05-18-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    Never had a problem with my telus 8830. Maybe they didn't update the prl~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~