Fairly new to the world of Blackberry, but I've come across something I cannot believe ... General Blackberry forum

technerd no está en línea Stack level 1

VPN access through modem

Advertisement

Fairly new to the world of Blackberry, but I've come across something I cannot believe doesn't seem to exist.

Setup a Blackberry Enterprise Server. Have 24 (soon to be 25 by the end of the day...) users. Curves and Pearls, service through T-Mobile.

Got a couple set up as "tethered" modems. Can surf the net...

T-Mobile tells me that using a (Cisco) VPN client through these devices isn't possible.
    I can connect, but it disconnects after awhile. Even while it's connected, it doesn't work...

Is there no way to switch these things into some special "modem only" type mode, or, "non-Blackberry" mode for the duration of using as a modem?

Suggestion(s):::
    Better yet - while it's tethered, it should AUTOMATICALLY be set to this mode, and you can do VPN if your service is ready for it...
    Upon disconnect from computer, it should AUTOMATICALLY switch back into phone/blackberry mode.....

Really confuses me that this isn't possible.

---
    End suggestion/rant.

untjoker no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: VPN access through modem

what is your main goal here, what are you trying to do and I'll see if I can help you out. From my end it looks like you want to use the tether feature to get data but you don't want to get email/text/Blackberry phone data, just internet, is this correct?
    Yes, I've been diagnosed with Phantom Vibration Disorder.....

I wish to have the Blackberry tethered as a modem, and be able to use (Cisco) VPN client on a laptop.
    It'd be nice to VPN wirelessly, from anywhere, using the Blackberry as a modem.

I have successfully been able to tether, and surf the net. When trying to use VPN, I cannot use it. It will act as if it's connected, but you can't go anywhere... T-Mobile tells me that it just isn't possible...

MrDavv no está en línea Stack level 2

I have Tmobile. I tether my blackberry pearl as a modem at times. Once the tether modem is working (I can access the Internet), I start up the Cisco VPN software and can connect to my company's Cisco VPN service just fine. My VPN connection may drop occasionally, but overall works quite well.
    Make sure you use UDP transport (not TCP) in the VPN profile settings on the workstation. I believe my VPN client version is 4.6. I have a BIS plan (not BES) for data.
    ~via BB

Interesting MrDavv.

It would seem that it's been narrowed down to the fact that we're using BES (not BIS).

The VPN will act like it's connected, but I can't remote into anything, even by IP address. Using standard settings of UDP.

So, I guess my next question should be for the admins forum... if there's anything that can be done server side on our end to accomplish VPN...

Too weird.

Thank you for the reply though. Definitely helps narrow things down