I'm a bit miffed... I've been using my old 8700 to access push email via ... General Blackberry forum

FreeFall no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Thumbs down Vodafone UK - robbing gits?

Advertisement

I'm a bit miffed...

I've been using my old 8700 to access push email via my company BES server for over a year now with Enterprise Mail, the 8700 was given to me by a friend. Recently it started to play up, so as I was due an upgrade on my phone I traded up to the 8310 - so far so good...

It arrived today and after much cussing and swearing trying to get the Enterprise Activation to work I did some Googling and came across this forum, the post said to check that the device was enabled for Enterprise Email with the carrier. On calling them and waiting on hold while the guy checked with his engineers, got back to me, back to engineers etc. it transpires that they want to bump my subscription up from Ł15 to Ł35 per month to get this feature! Why? It works fine on my old device so I guess the PIN for that is activated on my current subscription - they wouldn't budge though...

I understand that there is no way to change the PIN on the new device to that of the old but is there any other way around this (bar coughing up the extra 20 quid)?

Robbing bar stewards.

Nick

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    well typically with all carriers it cost more money to have the BES enabled on your account. it provides for extra security, i;m not sure how you were able to subscribe to the company BES with your old device without the proper data services
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Maybe you just had the email and not data?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    i didnt know they separated the 2

PIN/ID

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyxedge View Post
    well typically with all carriers it cost more money to have the BES enabled on your account. it provides for extra security, i;m not sure how you were able to subscribe to the company BES with your old device without the proper data services
    Hi, thanks for your reply. The thing is, I'm now not convinced that this is the problem. The reason I say this is because if I swap back to my old device it works fine - do you know whether it is the SIM or the PIN that has the restriction imposed on it?

If I remove my user from BES and then try to reactivate again using the new device, it lists my user again, with the new PIN but then the activation times out with something along the lines of 'server not responding - contact your administrator'. There is also an error on the BES server saying something like 'cannot delete sent something-or-other, not authorised' but this happens with my old device too (but then continues to work).

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    its neither. its a network controlled feature.

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Virex View Post
    its neither. its a network controlled feature.
    OK... so how does that work? Basically what I'm asking is - do you think that I should be able to activate the new device 'as is', considering that the old one works on my current plan? I'm trying to determine whether they have blocked this device from using BES or if I'm just doing something stupid. BTW, here is the error that shows on the BES server when I try to activate the new device (it also shows when I reactivate the old one but that completes successfully)

04/05/2008 05:04:38 AM {User/Company} Unable to delete sent NID=5FFE6 for user User/Company (You are not authorized to perform that operation 0x0246)
    04/05/2008 05:04:39 AM Router: Transferring mail to Server/Company via Notes
    04/05/2008 05:04:39 AM Router: Transferred 1 messages to Server/Company via Notes
    04/05/2008 05:04:44 AM Router: Message 0031DCFB transferred to Server/Company for network@etp2001.etp.eu.blackberry.net via Notes

Attempting to activate the new device does result in the ETP.DAT being sent to my Inbox. Would this happen if it weren't BES enabled?

Sorry for all the dumb questions.