Ok, it seems the most popular thing about visual voicemail amongst everyone is having it ... General Blackberry forum

javijavi no está en línea Stack level 3

Visual voicemail help

Advertisement

Ok, it seems the most popular thing about visual voicemail amongst everyone is having it transcribed to a text message. This of course usually requires a fee, and when it doesnt, it still requires some third party person or computer network to actually listen to your voicemail to perform the transcription process. This of course unnerves private people like me to no end, and is not what I am looking for.

Instead, what I am looking for is specifically a little blackberry app, that is a program I can install on the phone itself, that turns my phone into a classic old school answering machine, storing voicemails directly to the blackberry's internal memory. This way no one can have access to my voicemail unless they were holding the phone itself.

Such a service should not require any type of login ID, use of my PIN number, or anything else. It would just store the VM's as an mp3 or other sound format directly to the blackberry as it is being recorded. Does anyone know if such a program exists? So far every single Visual Voicemail app I find requires that you set up some type of outside account so they can retrieve your messages and store them on their servers. There are plenty of conveniences to this but I am not interested. I just want to listen to VM on my phone without having to dial in and listen to them 1 by 1 from a prompter.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    You'd really want to be able to push that to a MicroSD card, too because storing those messages on your device will chew up memory in a hurry.

javijavi no está en línea Stack level 3
    Ok incidentally I think I may have managed to answer my own question. While reading developer comments on personal recording software by shapeservices, someone asked whether or not it is possible to record a telephone conversation on the BB with someone. The answer was no, because the blackberry OS is locked in such a manner that no piece of software could gain access to the active voice stream in real-time. Thus, any software that tried to record voicemails for you would not be able to do so, because it could not listen/save the voice data at the same time.

Since I only get like 1 voicemail per day, if that, I guess I'll just be content doing it the old school way.

You know, I used to have a little monochrome LCD samsung phone years ago with t-mobile, and this phone had precisely the feature I am talking about. The phone itself could have a custom greeting and store voicemails directly on it. Only problem was it barely had enough memory for 5 voicemails. Such a shame that no providers since have realized how obviously useful a feature like this would be.
    Last edited by javijavi; 06-10-2008 at 10:03 AM.