Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So (according to Rogers) RIM have done away with the web client! I was told ... General Blackberry forum

geoffm no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    203BD0EA

Thumbs down Very upset with RIM!

Advertisement

So (according to Rogers) RIM have done away with the web client! I was told to upgrade to Bis something or another from 1.8 and now don't have the option to view\send mails from my pc.

This is such an incovienence!!!! Now all replies have to be done from the berry.. why oh why.

If anyone on here works from RIM... I AM NOT IMPRESSED!

Not sure what my next step is.. but all of a sudden the iPhone interest me!!

geoffm no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    203BD0EA

Re: Very upset with RIM!

Opps.. thanks for the re-wording.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Yeah it stinks, they pulled it here in the US a while back.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I always did wonder why there was no web interface for the BB e-mail address... guess this explains it.

Too bad. Would be nice to be able to have a web client for the really long replies that are sometimes necessary...
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

BIS is the new name for BWC. I actually find it easier to read my emails on my BB rather than my PC because I don't check my PC for email unless it is something I need to print. They closed the site to read email on because that's what the BB is for.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

in those cases you could always just type up the email, send it to your bb address then copy/paste into a new msg to person you're sending it to. A couple of extra steps, but would take only an extra 2 minutes.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    BIS is the new name for BWC. I actually find it easier to read my emails on my BB rather than my PC because I don't check my PC for email unless it is something I need to print. They closed the site to read email on because that's what the BB is for.
    -

No, they closed it so that they wouldn't have to expand their expensive server farm as much to handle the increased percentage of non BES customers expected when they pushed the Consumer
    Oriented Blackberry devices out.

I don't really need the ability to read email that much from the Web client, but I definitely couldn't get by without the ability to manage my email through folders. BIS 1.8 is so much better at managing email.

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    -

No, they closed it so that they wouldn't have to expand their expensive server farm as much to handle the increased percentage of non BES customers expected when they pushed the Consumer
    Oriented Blackberry devices out.

I don't really need the ability to read email that much from the Web client, but I definitely couldn't get by without the ability to manage my email through folders. BIS 1.8 is so much better at managing email.

Rcbjr
    ditto! If they would have kept this, i bet prices would have gone up for up keep and upgrades on there end.

benritmeyer no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~there used to be a 25mb limit which got pretty annoying after a while. Now on BIS 2.x there is no longer that issue!!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Yeahn no size limit, only a thirty day time limit. I can deal with a 25Mbyte size limit. Never lost emails due to the size limit. But I need some attachments for a lot longer than 30 days.

But the killer for me is the loss of folders. How can anyone manage email fithout being able to file a message, once it has been taken care of?

Rcbjr

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Meh -- just integrate an account with webmail with BIS if you need it. You really shouldn't be using the *.blackberry.net address anyway.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I was going to say -- with BIS, it seems like most people really aren't (or shouldn't be for that matter) using the *.blackberry.net address.

I have my main e-mail addresses set to forward to my blackberry address. This way, I get my mail in both locations so I can save copies on my computer of anything relevant. Just a thought.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

crutcherk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3280610B

I agree with wjwood0. I have the bb poll my 4 e-mail accounts. I read and reply to e-mail mostly with my bb it is just an extension of my outlook inbox.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

RIM has decided based on usage patterns and modern email needs that *.blackberry.net addresses should no longer be used since BWC 1.8 is worefully limited by 2005 standard (RIM had a whitepaper on this back in the BWC 1.8 to BIS 2.0 migration days). RIM cites the proliferation of good free (or near free, or low cost) email services, may of which are web-based.

Cons against BWC 1.8 :
    * no antispam
    * pathetic 25MB quota

Pros for BWC 1.8:
    * good for managing email messages via handhgeld or web access from PC

Pros for BIS 2.x:
    * huge quotas, 250-500MB (or maybe it's unlimited now?)
    * good for managing email accounts, especially multiple accounts.
    * send-as function (no need to give out *.blackberry.net address anymore)
    * can use 3rd party antispam (gmail, anyone?)
    * email auto-expires after 30 days, no need to prune email to stay under quota
    * more attachment types are supported. better WYSIWYG options for PDF files, for example.
    * since you never need to give out your *blackberry.net account name, you can switch carriers without affecting your email flow. log onto BIS and associate your new BIS account with your existing external email accounts (hotmail, yahoo, gmail, POP, utlook Web Access, etc)
    * more options for POP and BIS/push (without BES) than was ever possible with BWC 1.8.

Cons for BIS 2.x:
    * requires external account (yahoo, gmail, hotmail, POP, Outlook Web Access, etc) to replace web client in BWC 1.8.
    * messages auto-expire after 30 days (requires external account, see above, for historical archives)
    * two-way reconciliation of deletions and read/unread status is often not available (may be possible under BIS 2.3 with Yahoo on some carriers, maybe). Really, I see this as the biggest drawback of BIS. Those one-way reconciliation is available (from handheld to server, just not vice versa). So if I read or delete anything on the handheld, this does propegate to the server. There are two workarounds for this (1. use "Delete Prior" on the handheld. As a safety measure this only deletes email from the handheld. Useful if you know you don't need things past 7 or 14 days on the handheld. 2. only delete email from the handheld, else you need to periodically delete it from both places (handheld and PC) or just use the "Delete Prior")

Really BIS 2.x is good for you. The hard part is making the transition to a permanent email provider (like yahoo, gmail, hotmail, POP, Outlook Web Access, etc), then associating those accounts with BIS. I'm been setting up people with Gmail or Yahoo integration with BIS, some of which who had BWC 1.8 before. Most see this as a step forward and actually see the new benefits with Yahoo/BIS or Gmail/BIS over the old *blackberry.net/BWC client. That pathetic 25MB quota with no antispam controls is now a distant and fading memory.

Good bye BWC 1.8! R.I.P. You no longer have a useful purpose in today's modern world. Pretty soon we will have two-way reconciliation on BIS and the death of BWC 1.8 will be complete.
    Last edited by Aroc; 07-25-2007 at 11:00 AM.
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast